Sign in to follow this  
j35

Left Engine Shut Down after Wing Tip fuel dump

New to this aircraft. I just tried the Learjet 24 from a c/d startup without realism enabled and twice when dumping fuel from wing tips (used the pop up window fuel management and then the fuel dump buttons in cockpit) before landing...... the fuel flow gauge for the left engine goes to zero and the left engine shuts down. Never could get it started again. Right engine has no issues. Any ideas. 

If not ... any other sites to check for support for the Lionheart Learjet 24?

Thanks for any help

Jack

I don't have that jet, but is there any kind of fuel crossfeed modelled, even though it's just tip fuel you're dumping? Was the left engine just feeding from the tip before you dumped the fuel?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I had so many issues with fuel I gave up, however, I did find some notes and the Lionheart Learjet page that I had noted for a future reading, regarding fuel management. Also making sure you have a really really really good default set up, then switch, then save. 

I don't have that jet, but is there any kind of fuel crossfeed modeled, even though it's just tip fuel you're dumping? Was the left engine just feeding from the tip before you dumped the fuel?

Hello...thanks for the support.

I'm not familiar with this jet as yet as this was my first flight but there is a crossfeed switch. I used it several times trying to get fuel to the left engine but no good. I should mention that in the manual it gives clear, simple steps to transfer fuel and I followed them carefully.

The way I understand it, the fuel is drawn automatically from the wing tip tanks and when that fuel is gone the fuel is taken from the wings automatically, and when that is gone it is taken from the fuselage tank..... after being transferred.

So what I did was dump the remaining fuel in the tip tanks before landing...as explained in the manual.  As the last bit of fuel left the tip tanks the left engine shut down and I noticed no fuel flow to that engine.

I had so many issues with fuel I gave up, however, I did find some notes and the Lionheart Learjet page that I had noted for a future reading, regarding fuel management. Also making sure you have a really really really good default set up, then switch, then save. 

Hello...thanks for the help.

Good idea.  I will try to work with a cold and dark startup again and see. I may have screwed up. I can even try their C/D's they have provided.

Just wondering about your ....fuel issues ..you gave up....Did you have the same problem as me?

You don't use this aircraft anymore or fly it with a work around the fuel issues.

I just used the one of the supplied c/d startups for the lionheart learjet and I did a fuel dump and landed without issue.

• Upvote 1

Some info here:

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/LJ24B_Insights.html

Scroll down, there's a few.

Here:

So, I had a bit of an aha moment, I was lecturing you in having the proper default,  I was just mountain flying with a Cessna in British Columbia, manually adjusting the fuel tanks, I'm thinking I had the default tank selector set left, which would explain why I was getting no right fuel tank feed. D'oh!

• Upvote 1

Great video and Insights section...learned a lot....have not read it all as yet.  I know I definitely completely drained the tip tanks which would explain my problem and maybe my startup procedure was ok to begin with. No matter because I have installed the cold/dark startup files.

Thanks again for the help

Jack