Sign in to follow this  
rennman

How to disengage AP Master

Hi...How can I assign a button or key to disengage the AP master?

"Z" is assigned by default but does nothing...I also have registered FSUIPC but I cant figure that out either...thanks

Mike ryder,

Hi Mike,

The "Z" assignment is the correct button, its what i use and assigned it to a joystick button as well. if it isn't working reassign the key in the controls menu of FSX and make sure the keyboard function on your fmc scratchpad is deactivated when using keyboard commands. also remember that the AP disconnect is a 2 press system. first to deactivate and second to silence the horn. 

hope this helps.

Scott Stefanatz

if it isn't working reassign the key in the controls menu of FSX

Hi Scott...Thanks for responding..."Z" is working to disengage the AP on all my other planes...just not this one...do i have to assign it in the PMDG menu?

Mike Ryder

Mike, 

no I meant to just reset the assignment in the fsx controls menu. delete the current assignment "Z" and then add it back in. sometimes there can be an error in the files that would keep the aircraft from "seeing" the keystroke. i would just reassign the key to make sure. like i said i use the "Z" assignment through my joystick (added my joystick key to the same control as the "Z") and it works as advertised.

see if that works for ya

i opened up the PMDG keys menu and sure enough there was an AP disengage option...I set it to Z and it works!

I havent tried it yet but it should work if it set to a joystick button too...

A little off topic...but...When is it time to disengage the AP on an autoland?

Thanks again.

Mike Ryder.

When is it time to disengage the AP on an autoland?

Probably just before you want to turn off the runway onto the taxiway :Tounge: 

Or do you mean when do you disengage if you want to make a manual landing?

Cheers

John H Watson

The "Z" assignment is the correct button

You can assign whichever button you like. Z is the FSX default AP toggle (on/off). As the same button doesn't toggle the AP in some complex sims I prefer to assign a different key to AP disconnect. But if Z works for you then that's fine of course.

ki9cAAb.jpg

i mean just before touch down when doing and auto land...should it be 100 ft away or 10?

An autoland means the autopilot controls the touchdown. If the autopilot has rollout guidance, as with the 747, you disconnect it when before you reach the turnoff. If the AP has flare mode but no rollout guidance then disconnect it at touchdown.

If by autoland you mean a coupled ILS approach for a visual landing, disconnect the AP when you have visual contact with the ground. Normally you want as much time as possible to get a feel of the controls.

ki9cAAb.jpg