Sign in to follow this  
Grandpa

There is no check box for FSX or FSX SE

Hi,

there is no check box available to mark either FSX or FSX SE during installing the 600/700 NGX in FSX.The Installation aborts.

Hi,

there is no check box available to mark either FSX or FSX SE during installing the 600/700 NGX in FSX.The Installation aborts.

Means you either only have one of the sims, or you don't have an up-to-date installer. Fully uninstall any version currently on your system. Re-download the installers from your account. Then, reinstall.

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

By any chance, have you purchased the P3D version by mistake?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

By any chance, have you purchased the P3D version by mistake?

wouldn't  be  the  first one  either :smile:  this  will be  a good example  of getting  a refund or exchange :Tounge:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I've found the same thing happening here.

I have both FSX and FSX-SE installed on a new Windows 10 pc, and I'm in the process of transferring my PMDG aircraft from my old pc to this one.  So, earlier today I downloaded the latest installers for the base package and the 6700 expansion.  It's my intention to install only into FSX for the time being and the 800/900 has been installed and activated successfully.  The base installer offered two tick boxes for the two sims, one of which - FSX-SE - I unticked.  It's a first-time installation on this pc, it's the latest installer and there are definitely two sims installed.

If no-one has any answers I guess I'll have to raise a support ticket.

Incidentally, the 777-200LRF Base installer found both sims as well, so it looks like it's just the 6700 expansion that has the problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Steve

Stephen Banks

so it looks like it's just the 6700 expansion that has the problem.

I don't see this as a problem. If the 8900 is only in one version - FSX or FSX:SE - why would we offer to have it install into potentially both by leaving both boxes checked? The installer simply looks for the install location where the base pack is.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

The base installer allows the 8900 to be installed in one or both, so there would logically need to be a way of optionally installing the 6700 in one or both as well (providing the 8900 is present).

However, if the installer is working as you describe, then it's failing to find the location of the base pack under the conditions I've outlined above.  Instead, it's simply saying there's no base pack in FSX-SE. 

Either way it's still a problem.

Stephen Banks

The base installer allows the 8900 to be installed in one or both, so there would logically need to be a way of optionally installing the 6700 in one or both as well (providing the 8900 is present).

I don't agree with you here. Optionally installing the 6700 in one or both does not logically follow allowing one or both for the 8900. This would allow someone to (illogically) select FSX for the base pack, and then FSX:SE for the 6700. We then get flooded with complaints that the installer isn't working because of user actions. Instead, the 6700 should simply find the location where the 8900 is installed and use that as the selection: If base is in FSX, install in FSX. If base is in FSX:SE, install in FSX:SE. If base is in both, install in both.

Instead, it's simply saying there's no base pack in FSX-SE. 

Uninstall any NGX-related item in the control panel. Re-download new installers from your account, as this is indicative of one of the installers being out of date. You might also have a registry issue on your computer causing the issue (particularly if you use registry hack tools like the EMT).

Kyle Rodgers

I 'm not disagreeing with you on the logic that's needed, Kyle, as I said earlier:

(providing the 8900 is present)

but that isn't how it's actually working.

I did try to post a couple of screenshots to illustrate but the forum doesn't allow that.  The first screen the installer displays is an invitation "Which version do you wish to install?" and is identical to the 8900 installer's first screen but the check boxes are not there. The only options are Back or Next, both of which lead on to the "Unable to locate Aircraft.cfg for PMDG 737-8900 NGX in FSX:SE" message.

Incidentally, if you care to look closely at this message, it's title is "PMDG 777-300ER Expansion for FSX".  Something wrong there, I'd say.

So, I followed your advice and uninstalled everything, re-downloaded the installers and tried again.  The outcome, unsurprisingly, was the same.  The only thing I couldn't check was whether there was a registry problem (I wouldn't know where to start and have never used any registry hacking tools anyway).

I then went through the process again, but this time I chose to install the 8900 base pack into BOTH sims.  Having done that the 6700 expansion went on to install successfully, though it still put up that first screen which doesn't make a lot of sense.  As a means to an end, I can live with having the 737 in FSX-SE.  It does, however, beg the question as to whether this installer has been thouroughly tested.

Stephen Banks

I 'm not disagreeing with you on the logic that's needed, Kyle, as I said earlier:

but that isn't how it's actually working.

I did try to post a couple of screenshots to illustrate but the forum doesn't allow that. The first screen the installer displays is an invitation "Which version do you wish to install?" and is identical to the 8900 installer's first screen but the check boxes are not there. The only options are Back or Next, both of which lead on to the "Unable to locate Aircraft.cfg for PMDG 737-8900 NGX in FSX:SE" message.

Incidentally, if you care to look closely at this message, it's title is "PMDG 777-300ER Expansion for FSX". Something wrong there, I'd say.

So, I followed your advice and uninstalled everything, re-downloaded the installers and tried again. The outcome, unsurprisingly, was the same. The only thing I couldn't check was whether there was a registry problem (I wouldn't know where to start and have never used any registry hacking tools anyway).

I then went through the process again, but this time I chose to install the 8900 base pack into BOTH sims. Having done that the 6700 expansion went on to install successfully, though it still put up that first screen which doesn't make a lot of sense. As a means to an end, I can live with having the 737 in FSX-SE. It does, however, beg the question as to whether this installer has been thouroughly tested.

I will try to make this as quick and painless as possible.

Multiple installs on a machine into different directory's Etc. results registry key's being created, set, and not reset. The end result is side by side FSX, FSX-SE installs were a problem for me. Lousy frames, lousy load times, lousy memory handling.

For years we installed in C:FSX to get around the [permissions that were coded into Program Files(X86). With FSX it was a solution! For FSX-SE it is not needed.

Dovetail recompiled and fixed those issues, No need to worry about permissions!!! Dovetail made some enhancements to VAS usage and memory handling routines, like releasing memory of terrain you flew over and are most likely to not see again. OK, those are all good things, wouldn't you agree?

To realize FSX-SE benefits as they now stand!

Uninstall your flight sim software. If you have a dedicated HD or SSD reformat it and install FSX-SE from Dovetails site. Once you create an account your good to go and FSX_SE will always be in your library and RE-Down loadable whenever you need it after installing a new OS or whatever.

When D-Loading let it go into C:Program File (X86), no need to worry about user control at all!

After installing adjust your Windows Firewall for permission to allow FSX to use.

Adjust any virus programs exception to leave FSX alone.

Remember by reformatting and re-install you are creating new accurate registry entry's.

On a Stand alone FSX-SE installation you will be pleased to know that your file names are FSX, NOT, FSX-SE. You will see User/ your name/common/ FSX. Not FSX-SE!

Your files will be in C:steam/ steam apps/FSX.

You will find with a clean FSX-SE install a somewhat higher performance and all the other benefits I pointed out above. The most pronounced effect for me was the fluidity, much, much, more fluid.

I also installed into a new install of Windows 10.

I had no problems with Win 10 at all. I found it to be faster, more stable and has a better networking facility than Win 7. You can turn off a lot of crap you don't need or want, your choice.

​Your PMDG installer will work flawlessly as will or Operations Center and Livery functions Etc. 

I have never enjoyed my PMDG aircraft before doing what I have described. That I DO know!

Best

BaldyB

Denis Bolduc.

It does, however, beg the question as to whether this installer has been thouroughly tested.

Empirically, I have only seen a handful of these issues, which points less to the code, and more to the environment. Yes, the header text slipped through, but that doesn't mean the installer itself is bugged. If a 737 got delivered with "Boing" instead of "Boeing" written on the side, it doesn't mean that it is mechanically unsound.

The are a number of registry tools out there built specifically for FSX, FSX:SE and P3D. Here is ours:

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/file_library/PMDG_RegistryMechanic.zip

Kyle Rodgers

The are a number of registry tools out there built specifically for FSX, FSX:SE and P3D. Here is ours:

http://downloads.pre...tryMechanic.zip

Kyle  is  this  the  same   as system  mechanic    reason  asking is  that system  mechanic  will screw  up  your  fs2crew  install  which will require  a  full window  reinstall

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Kyle  is  this  the  same   as system  mechanic    reason  asking is  that system  mechanic  will screw  up  your  fs2crew  install  which will require  a  full window  reinstall

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. There are very few things that would justify re-imaging a computer, honestly. I know a lot of people in the sim hobby toss it around as a cure-all - and it will, in the same way burning a house down and building a new one can help fix a leaky faucet - but there's usually a simple solution to most of the issues out there.

The issue here is that FSX:SE does some odd stuff to the registry, and the Reg Mechanic that we have can help correct that for you without forcing you to go into the registry on your own.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm not sure what you're referring to here

here  you  go kyle  Byran   knows  the issue  with system mechanic  and  advises  not  to use  it

https://www.avsim.com/topic/371887-system-mechanic-blues/?hl=%20system%20%20mechanic

Peter kelberg

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. There are very few things that would justify re-imaging a computer, honestly. I know a lot of people in the sim hobby toss it around as a cure-all - and it will, in the same way burning a house down and building a new one can help fix a leaky faucet - but there's usually a simple solution to most of the issues out there.

The issue here is that FSX:SE does some odd stuff to the registry, and the Reg Mechanic that we have can help correct that for you without forcing you to go into the registry on your own.

Kyle.

With all due respect, sometimes it's tough to find that leaky faucet after the house has collapsed!

When I installed a new SSD why would I not re-install my OS and flight sim software?

Having done what I described has created a much better environment, that I will swear is so on a stack of bibles.

Best

BaldyB

Denis Bolduc