Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Another plea for feedback!

So, my i5-2500K@4,2 with Asus P8Z68 mobo and Asus 660Gti has served my flightsimming needs well since since 2011 but with PMDG 747 around the corner and wanting to try P3D it's time to move on!

I'm looking at this setup:

CPU:   i7-7700K 4,2 Ghz LGA1151

MoBo:  Asus Strix Z270F

Video:  Asus Strix GTX 1070  (ordering these three items will give me a €130 cash back)

Storage:  Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB or 1 TB

Chassi:  Fractal Design Define R5

PSU:  Corsair RM750x, 80PLUS gold 750W

Cooler: haven't decided yet but have a Corsair H80 in my current setup that has worked flawlessly, so perhaps the Corsair H100i GTX V2

But the choice of memory is a jungle! The G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK is my candidate right now and I'd be grateful for any comment on wether it would work well with the rest of the components!? 

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Looks good, the faster the RAM the better though I'm not sure how much that will help in P3D. You can also drop down to a 550W PSU and still be good if you want to save a few bucks.

Thanks! But I consider the PSU to be probably the most vital part of the system in order to keep it stable so I'm not skimping on that! :) I currently have a Corsair 850AT 

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Krister, you are right to stay with a higher output PSU, the 1070 recommends a 500W supply as absolute minimum and you might want to give yourself some room to overclock. The 7700K will overclock at least a little, and every cycle you can increase the speed, the better your experience will be.

I am looking at a rebuil in the near future. Your spec looks similar to my ideas as they stand currently :)

I would suggest getting the larger of the two SSD's, 512Gb might be too limiting, especially if you are planning on putting the OS on it as well...

A

Krister, you are right to stay with a higher output PSU, the 1070 recommends a 500W supply as absolute minimum and you might want to give yourself some room to overclock. The 7700K will overclock at least a little, and every cycle you can increase the speed, the better your experience will be.

I am looking at a rebuil in the near future. Your spec looks similar to my ideas as they stand currently :)

I would suggest getting the larger of the two SSD's, 512Gb might be too limiting, especially if you are planning on putting the OS on it as well...

A

Thanks for your feedback Andrew!

Indeed, I had a 450W PSU with my earlier system and anytime I tried to overclock the system would come to a screetching halt. Got the Corsair 850 and no more problems!

I currently have a Samsung 256 GB SSD that I managed to put win10, fsx (incl ORBX) and fs9 on. But yeah, I'd be paiting myself into a corner in the end.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I just did a i5 2500k to i7 7700k upgrade, my initial results are posted here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/501768-upgrade-inbound-landing-checklist/

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I just did a i5 2500k to i7 7700k upgrade, my initial results are posted here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/501768-upgrade-inbound-landing-checklist/

That sounds very promising from my point of view since I also intend to add a 1070 video card. Of course, going from five year old stuff to brand spanking new should show a difference! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Indeed, I had a 450W PSU with my earlier system and anytime I tried to overclock the system would come to a screetching halt. Got the Corsair 850 and no more problems!

FWIW, that's more due to build quality than wattage. Power Supplies are not made equal, as you've discovered. While you're spending money, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a Kill-A-Watt. If you're pulling over 250W from the wall at full load, I'll be shocked.

(And the Kill-A-Watt is handy around the house to find your stealth power monsters.)

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

FWIW, that's more due to build quality than wattage. Power Supplies are not made equal, as you've discovered. While you're spending money, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a Kill-A-Watt. If you're pulling over 250W from the wall at full load, I'll be shocked.

(And the Kill-A-Watt is handy around the house to find your stealth power monsters.)

Cheers!

Luke

Exactly, I have never gone over ~400W usage on my build in normal circumstances.

Yeah, Luke is spot on!  The better the Power Supply, the better the rig.

One of the best articles I've seen on PC Power Supplies is HERE.  Great info, and there is a list there of the better power supplies.  One thing important is what the author says about matching the power supply to the load (I think Luke was heading that way). To be honest, it's not something I ever gave much thought to before, but I will in the future.

Water Cooling

Like you, I love the Corsair Coolers. My I7-960 had the H80, and I run the H110 on my i7-4770K and after a year running only Turbo to 4.3GHz I now have all 4 cores running full time at 4.3GHz and my temps only went up a few couple of degrees C - always under 48C even at the highest FSX/P3D loads. I use Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps and CPU/GPU.  I believe there are better water coolers available, but I'm not sure my system or the one you're planning to build requires more than what the Corsair provides. Still... if money is no object, I'd shop around.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yeah, Luke is spot on!  The better the Power Supply, the better the rig.

One of the best articles I've seen on PC Power Supplies is HERE.  Great info, and there is a list there of the better power supplies.  One thing important is what the author says about matching the power supply to the load (I think Luke was heading that way). To be honest, it's not something I ever gave much thought to before, but I will in the future.

Water Cooling

Like you, I love the Corsair Coolers. My I7-960 had the H80, and I run the H110 on my i7-4770K and after a year running only Turbo to 4.3GHz I now have all 4 cores running full time at 4.3GHz and my temps only went up a few couple of degrees C - always under 48C even at the highest FSX/P3D loads. I use Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps and CPU/GPU.  I believe there are better water coolers available, but I'm not sure my system or the one you're planning to build requires more than what the Corsair provides. Still... if money is no object, I'd shop around.

It should be noted that I never advocated for a lower quality PSU but lower wattage since the proposed build will barely break 400W if that.

What you need to be careful of is the number of rails and the output on each rail. If you have a multi-rail PSU and one rail gets overloaded, it can cause a lot of headaches, as it is not easy to track down. Even though the combined output of the PSU is sufficient, it can often turn out that one rail provides too little for one of the devices. I have always fared well with single rail units.

Indeed, 850W is a little overkill for such a system, though, why not keep it if it is a good quality unit?

Thank you guys for all the feedback! The reason why I picked this PSU is that 1) I like Corsair 2) it's modular 3) is reasonably priced 4) is 80 Plus rated and has received good reviews, eg this.

The Corsair 850XT is now in my "office" computer together with the Asus 660 video card, since my AMD Radeon HD5870 and the Thermaltake 530W 80 Plus PSU (some 6 months old) decided to check out at the same time.

I'm actually more concered about picking the right memory modules! I guess I can't go wrong with G.Skill ripjaw but what would be a suitable set in the €150-200 bracket? 16GB should suffice I guess.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I'm actually more concered about picking the right memory modules! I guess I can't go wrong with G.Skill ripjaw but what would be a suitable set in the €150-200 bracket? 16GB should suffice I guess.

A lot of board manufacturers have  a list of memory the board has been tested and certified with . I would start there. usually in the boards manual if you can download it.