Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Another plea for feedback!

The components arrived yesterday and for some reason it coincide with my wife taking the kids and the dog and going away to her parents for five days!  I started assembling everything only to take a pause after a while to take off my outerwear. When I slide the video card out of the anti-static bag something fell to the floor. A fan blade!  I decided a missing fan blade is more serioious on a RR Trent 900 than my Asus 1070 so I continued. But now the Asus Z270 refuses to boot and the POST LED indicates a CPU failure with my shiny new i7 7700K. What can you possible do wrong when fitting the CPU? It only fits in one way and the Corsair H100i v2 shouldn't be able to break it. Of course the CPU can simply be DOA which means waiting a couple of weeks for replacement IF it's proven DOA. I guess it could still be the mobo too that is funky.

Anyone with any ideas I could try?!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Man I feel for you, that's frustrating. My concern would be did the fan blade break off because the package got handled roughly, ie was there other damage to other things?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

One other thought... is the BIOS that came loaded on the board compatible with your i7700K CPU?  I have purchased MoBos from ASUS in the past and had to use the USB BIOS Flashback capability to install the latest BIOS before the board could recognize the new CPU.  Just throwing this out there since I haven't researched your board/CPU compatibility.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Any mobo with the Z270 chipset should be 7700K-ready out of the box.

Remove the CPU.  Make sure the socket area has no dust/lint etc--if there is, remove it by blowing it out with air. 

Take a magnifying glass and look for a bent/broken/missing pin in the socket.  If there is socket damage, the mobo will need to go back, and depending on the retailer, socket area damage may make it unreturnable to them. 

Reseat the mobo power connector, and if it's a modular PSU, do it on both ends of the cable.

Make sure that nothing on the back of the motherboard is touching the metal mobo mounting tray.  CPU cooler backplates are notorious for this.

Good luck

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Man I feel for you, that's frustrating. My concern would be did the fan blade break off because the package got handled roughly, ie was there other damage to other things?

I was gentle and let it slide out of the anti-static box more than pulling/grabbing. But you never know, I was like a child on opening up christmas presents and you know what that looks like...

One other thought... is the BIOS that came loaded on the board compatible with your i7700K CPU?  I have purchased MoBos from ASUS in the past and had to use the USB BIOS Flashback capability to install the latest BIOS before the board could recognize the new CPU.  Just throwing this out there since I haven't researched your board/CPU compatibility.

I've read several tests where this mobo has been tested with the very same CPU and no BIOS issues has been raised, so I think not. 

Any mobo with the Z270 chipset should be 7700K-ready out of the box.

Remove the CPU.  Make sure the socket area has no dust/lint etc--if there is, remove it by blowing it out with air. 

Take a magnifying glass and look for a bent/broken/missing pin in the socket.  If there is socket damage, the mobo will need to go back, and depending on the retailer, socket area damage may make it unreturnable to them. 

Reseat the mobo power connector, and if it's a modular PSU, do it on both ends of the cable.

Make sure that nothing on the back of the motherboard is touching the metal mobo mounting tray.  CPU cooler backplates are notorious for this.

Good luck

I will check the pins one more time but everything looked intact and clean when I had the CPU removed. The first time I put the CPU down it was 90 degrees off but I never put any kind of pressure on, since I immediately noticed it was the wrong way. The PSU is a modular Corsair RM650i and I had all the cables removed once, but I'll try with the other computer's Corsair 850XT too.  The first time I connected the PSU I accidentally forgot to connect the 8 pin +12V cable to the mobo and I switched the computer on, but that shouldn't cause any problems. The chassi fans simply didn't turn (the CPU fans on the Corasir H100 did though).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. If push come to shove I simply have to sell some more fibre broadband connections in my spare time to finance another CPU...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

This!  Your problem sounds like a classic case of a short between the motherboard and case.  Before giving up on the CPU (or anything else) remove the motherboard from the case and set-up everything to run on the bench (or table top).

HTH

Greg

• Upvote 1

This!  Your problem sounds like a classic case of a short between the motherboard and case.  Before giving up on the CPU (or anything else) remove the motherboard from the case and set-up everything to run on the bench (or table top).

HTH

Greg

Will do! I have a Fractal  Design R5 ATX case and the interestingly enough the holes in the mobo for the stand offs (on the side where the sata connectors are) is about 1 cm away from where the standoffs actually are in the case. It only means I have to be ever so gently when I apply pressure to insert the memory sticks and cables but still it gives me a feeling that something else could go wrong too...

Edit: put the mobo on the card board box on a table, inserted the CPU, memory sticks and connected the water cooler, PSU still in the chassis, 24 pin and 8 pin +12V cable to the mobo. But the POST_LED CPU still has a steady red light. Well, it was worth a try.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I was gentle and let it slide out of the anti-static box more than pulling/grabbing. But you never know, I was like a child on opening up christmas presents and you know what that looks like...

I was thinking more the delivery people, but yeah I know the feeling!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Stayed up until 06:30 in the morning trying to fix this but I'm at wits end. Actually,

ONCE did the CPU_LED POST light not turn red and it continued and finally showed green which I translate as a successfull boot.  I didn't have any monitor or hard drive attached so I could't procede. The only thing I did different before it (probably) booted was noting that the 24 pin cable wasn't fully pushed in since the little plastic piece that locks it into position hadn't locked.

So I figured the problem was since that the mobo is quit short and isn't supported by stand offs underneath all the way, I was too careful when pressing the 24 pin cable and didn't press it hard enough.  But today I tried again with the mobo out of the case, even with another PSU that I know is working, but the red LED remains lit. Argh!!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Problem is fixed. The vendor noticed debris in the processor socket and having cleaned it, it posts correctly. I also tried looking for debris and cleaned it with air but I guess I should have gotten myself a magnifying glass first!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

That's good news Krister. Please keep us posted.

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Well, I received the mobo from the vendor with the cpu still attached as it was when they had it posting. Still doesn't post although I only have the PSU (and tried with another working unit too) connected to the mobo with the the 24 pin and 8 pin, the mobo out of the case, memory sticks positioned and even purchased an Coolermaster 212 EVO if that somehow was the fault. Still no dice. So 2,400 euros worth of computer still doing nothing but at least I have beer in my fridge so everything is not bad.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Did u buy it on credit card?  I'd be sending it all back for a refund and if they are funny about it, get the credit card company involved

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

When you returned the parts to the vendor and he got it working, was he using your memory sticks and PSU?  If not, those can be the only variables in the problem.  If he tested with his own memory and PSU then you can focus on your memory and PSU... starting with the memory.  Try one stick at a time.

Greg

On 2017-03-14 at 9:23 PM, Charlatan said:

Did u buy it on credit card?  I'd be sending it all back for a refund and if they are funny about it, get the credit card company involved

I don't have a problem with the vendor really and have been buying from them since 2003 I think (altogether something like 600,000 euros to my company so they should value our relationship). Our relationship is fine, the problem is the physical distance between us! A positive mindset usually get everything sorted out though....

22 hours ago, lownslo said:

When you returned the parts to the vendor and he got it working, was he using your memory sticks and PSU?  If not, those can be the only variables in the problem.  If he tested with his own memory and PSU then you can focus on your memory and PSU... starting with the memory.  Try one stick at a time.

Greg

That is my analytical way of approaching it too! I didn't send them my PSU or memory sticks although they came with the same order. I figured since the mobo stated a CPU problem, it was either the mobo or the CPU. I have tried with just one stick and in different slots but to no avail. The other PSU I tried is working, at least when I removed it from it's case but you never know....

I asked them whether I can send them the whole case with everything in it but they haven't answered yet. I am just afraid they will then return it saying  "we located the problem, you haven't connected the power switch cables" or something like that! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------