Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Mesh, Textures and Landclass

I purchased a new computer and am switching over to P3D. I'm looking at two products for improving the basic scenery.

1) FTX Global Base + FTX Global Vector + FTX Global openLC North America

2) GEP3D + UTX USA V2 + UTX Canada V2

Given that I only fly in the US and Canada, is one combo better than the other??

Tom

I own GEP3D - which I was a huge fan of.  But I have stopped using it in favor of FTX Global Base and OpenLC NA.  The only difference is that I use the UTX products instead of FTX Vector.  You can read the pros and cons; but I am happy with UTX; especially after tweaking it.

You may still want a mesh product - like FreeMesh X.  I had FS Genesis for years; but switched to free products like this one.

Good luck!  These products greatly enhance the flying experience; especially if you fly "low and slow" like me.

Ron

1) FTX Global Base + FTX Global Vector + FTX Global openLC North America

2) GEP3D + UTX USA V2 + UTX Canada V2

FTX Global Base + FTX Global Vector + FTX Global openLC North America + FS Global 2010FTX for mesh.

If you are happy to have your airports on Plateaus then any mesh will do, if you would rather have them flattened then the combination of FTX vector and FS Global 2010FTX for mesh will give you the airport flattens you need.

You will find pros and cons for both of them, visually. I use the first combination (in conjuction with Pilot's FS Globlal Ultimate Mesh). 

Besides visual differences, which I suggest to juge based on screenshots and partially are a matter of taste, the FTX products have to additional pros:

. Should you ever consider using more ORBX products (like their PNW, NRM... regions and airports...) these are compatible from the outset and there is a neatless transition between them.

- While ORBX has been updating their products continually to the most recent Prepar3d versions, Flight 1 was VERY hesitant and slow to produce a Prepar3d native version of GEP - make your prediction for Prepar3d4 and further on.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I am addicted to Orbx products.  For North America the OpenLC is a must have for me, where most of my life has been in the Southwest, South Texas and plains states.  The default scenery is ugly, finally Orbx makes landclasses that look representative of the actual scenery.  For detail, there's none better than their airports such as Pago Pago or Montery CA.  The Vector product has to be used carefully, don't turn all the features on if you fly at flight levels but the shorelines and wetlands become almost photo realistic.

I purchased the new Pilot's FS Global Ultimate NG mesh, the DVDs are in the mail. I will be updating my mesh from the Ultimate and Global 2010 products to this new offering and I'm looking forward to it.

Dan Downs KCRP