Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

X-plane and Saving Situation Mid Flight

I did a trans atlantic flight in XP11, thinking it was stable enough , and had a CTD near the end of the NAT route with the log not saying much at all other than pointing to generic scenery. It was ocean after all. But it was a VA flight.  XPX never saved situations properly and it seems XP11 remains the same. Is there some other way to save a flight to continue where you left off like we have with FSUIPC in P3D?  This should be a necessity in some form or another.

Not finding much in forums.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I don't think it's possible to seamlessly resume a flight if X-Plane crashes.

The good news is that I think for most people, X-Plane is a very stable program and crashes are rare in the official (non-beta) releases. I don't recall every having a CTD in XP10 on long FSEconomy VA flights. We should have similar stability in XP11 after the beta period. Meanwhile, maybe revert to XP10 for VA flights?

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Too bad, but thanks for the info. I was excited to use xp11 because the VA ACARS client wont recognize XP10, but for some reason it does in xp11, so I fired up the FF767 to across the pond. Guess I will have to wait longer for it to become stable.

CYVR LSZH 

I don't think it's possible to seamlessly resume a flight if X-Plane crashes.

The good news is that I think for most people, X-Plane is a very stable program and crashes are rare in the official (non-beta) releases. I don't recall every having a CTD in XP10 on long FSEconomy VA flights. We should have similar stability in XP11 after the beta period. Meanwhile, maybe revert to XP10 for VA flights?

Well, will have to disagree with you on that one! CTD is fairly rare, but it is something I dread every single flight. It happens too often for comfort - even with XP10. I had one yesterday on a shortish 2hr FSE flight - was on short finals at my destination and CTD!

I would not agree that XP10 is a stable program at all - the fact that you get a CTD at all, ever, is a testament to that. I also develop software, although not in the gaming area, and I don't recall any customer, ever, having a CTD. Programmers are meant to trap errors, show an error message, then recover. Errors happen, but you plan for them. For some reason, XP does not do that, and is probably due to the open nature of the software and the use of third party plugins. I don't know. But do you get a CTD with any of your other software?

The CTD issue is the single biggest issue I had with FSX and is why I gave up flight sims for years. It is so devastating to crash after you have put so much work into a flight that it is often pretty difficult to repeat it all. I have even had CTD on my repeat flights! 

A way to recover (ie save your flight every so often) would be very high on my list if I was the developer. If there is one thing that will make me stop flying XP at all, this is it. I am not sure it would help FSEconomy though - there is not a way the flight progress can be cheated (as far as I can see), so you would have to cancel the flight and start again anyway. I only mention any of this as I am in that boat right now - I am going to have to repeat my last FSE flight, or just forget it.

BTW - this is all in XP10.51

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

I would not agree that XP10 is a stable program at all - the fact that you get a CTD at all, ever, is a testament to that. I also develop software, although not in the gaming area, and I don't recall any customer, ever, having a CTD. Programmers are meant to trap errors, show an error message, then recover. Errors happen, but you plan for them. For some reason, XP does not do that, and is probably due to the open nature of the software and the use of third party plugins. 

Well, it might also have something to do with developing as a Mac shop, while supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the sim. All I can say is that my experience has been very different.

I don't know. But do you get a CTD with any of your other software?

Sure, I've had CTD's with other software but it's usually a game, not productivity software or X-Plane. Anyway, I can relate to what a drag it is to repeat a FSEconomy flight. I hope your experience is better as XP11 gets tightened up for release. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

But do you get a CTD with any of your other software?

Games, yes. The frequency of which can vary, but I can't recall a single AAA game that hasn't had a CTD on me at least once in the last five years.

But lets look at other things than games -

I had Firefox CTD on me this weekend once. I had Indesign CTD on me a few times last week, was kind of annoying, but I think I narrowed it down to a font issue. Photoshop bites it once in awhile, but not as frequently. I even had Excel do a CTD a few weeks ago at work. And these are all on different computers too. Really, it's not an infrequent occurrence. At all.

Personally, I find even XP11 far more stable than FSX, and I've maybe only ever had two or three CTD's with XP10 to date in the 800 or so hours Steam has logged. I reckon I'm pretty safe in saying that it's been stable enough for me. 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Is there some other way to save a flight to continue where you left off like we have with FSUIPC in P3D?  This should be a necessity in some form or another. Not finding much in forums.

Save and continue would be a great and welcome feature. LR has to provide the api and 3rd party developers must use this feature (api). Data can be stored in an xml file or so. There is a great amount of data (fmc, switches...) to store.

Tom

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

Missing the point of a CTD in xplane. Whether its fairly stable or not, whether it crashes once out of 50 or 100x, the point is, if that once is near the end of a long haul journey or even mid range, you have nothing to fall back on. Youve lost all those hours flying, plus all the preparation. Or perhaps that long haul cant be done in available time, so you would like to save and continue on at a later time where you left off just like games do.  I dont see why it would be hard to implement and should really be an elevated priority feature.

Some say XP has no idea about what the plugins are doing with the aircrafts state, so at least provide tools to have individual aircraft provide that ability to save thier plugin state. This would be a selling point in my eyes.

CYVR LSZH 

.  I dont see why it would be hard to implement and should really be an elevated priority feature.

Some say XP has no idea about what the plugins are doing with the aircrafts state, so at least provide tools to have individual aircraft provide that ability to save thier plugin state. This would be a selling point in my eyes.

I agree COMPLETELY!!!  A thousand times over.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Missing the point of a CTD in xplane. Whether its fairly stable or not, whether it crashes once out of 50 or 100x, the point is, if that once is near the end of a long haul journey or even mid range, you have nothing to fall back on. Youve lost all those hours flying, plus all the preparation. Or perhaps that long haul cant be done in available time, so you would like to save and continue on at a later time where you left off just like games do. I dont see why it would be hard to implement and should really be an elevated priority feature.

Just a thought -

X-Plane is capable of saving the flight. I had an instance where I had a frame rate bug in PB6, where my fps dropped to single digits. I was mid-flight, in a 3rd party GA. I did not want to start my flight over, so I thought I'd try saving the situation. Between X-Plane and the developers of the GA I was flying, who thoughtfully provided the automatic capability to set up the custom systems of the aircraft according to the stage of flight it finds itself in when it loads, it worked perfectly.

Perhaps that's how it should be - default stuff is saved by the platform itself, but any custom stuff that third party devs want to create puts the onus on them to provide the ability to save or restore it. The ability is certainly there.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.