Hi all,

Thought I would throw this up as a bit of info for anyone wanting to hear how a custom self built on a budget would go. I only had around $1000US to build a machine that would run FSX/P3D but be upgradable in the future. So with that in mind I tried to get parts I could upgrade without too much hassle.

The build'

Intel i7-7700k

CoolerMaster TX3 Evo cooler

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3 MB

Kingston Valueram 8gb 2400mhz

WD 1TB HDD

Thermaltake N23 case with built in 600w PSU.

I used an old keyboard, speakers and retired TV to save buying again.

I ordered all the parts and built it myself to save money. Haven't built one before but have played around with PC's and there are heaps of guides/videos etc. The hardest bit was mounting the thermal paste and cooler.

How did it go?

Well there is no graphics card yet, I plan to get one but the budget didn't allow at the moment. Surprisingly, I can run FSX without any trouble with high settings and comfortably get 25-30 FPS in PMDG/FSL aircraft at payware airports. Whilst we all hope for 30fps, I came from a 2.4ghz laptop which struggled in the teens on a good day so I'm happy with 25-30 as a base. The interesting thing with the 7700k is that it quite happily runs at 4.5ghz in turbo so I probably won't need to overclock it for the moment. P3D without addons struggles a bit around the 20fps but I'm assuming a graphics card will fix that rather than using the onboard one.

The only downside I've noticed is that I don't have AA because I don't have a dedicated graphics card. Intel HD does have AA but it doesn't do much. So I'm thinking I might get a basic 2gb GT710 for the short term so I have AA and then in a few months get a 1060/1070.

Hope this helps a few people, I've certainly been surprised with the result, more than happy.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Wow I'm surprised onboard can do that well...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah so am I! I wasn't really expecting much from it.

Not sure which GPU to get though. Can you get away with a 4gb 1050 or better a 6gb 1060?

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

For FSX P3D at 1080P - no problem!

4K.... go to the GTX 1070.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |