Sign in to follow this  
BK

Time compression stops with turbulence

Hi,

I realized in recent weeks that time compression function in the PMDG 777 (never mind the model) is not doing its job (I.E. - compress the time) when the A/C goes through turbulent air. I am using AS16 and one can see the turbulence level in the map mode of AS16. I am also using EZCA2 and per recommendation of EZCA2 reduced the level of turbulence In AS16 options to 35. Still, time compression stops compressing once in turbulent air.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Can anybody comment on that and whats behind it?

Thanks

Benny K

This is pretty much how the time-compression feature is supposed to work.

Time compression will switch to a lower rate if the system encounters conditions which make it think that it cannot reliably handle the computing load any more, thus providing a fail-safe mechanism that tries not to overburden your computer.

The sim rate should go up again once the computing load reduces again, e. g. when entering smooth air again.

Just using the flight sim time acceleration, which never throttles down, and does not take into account increased system loads due to e. g. handling turbulence or in turns, which require the autoflight systems to work harder than in smooth air, might lead to instabilities or even crashes on some systems.

Not cool if your are already some hours into a carefully planned long-haul flight.

Dave P. Woycek

Dave is right on the money.  Auto time compression falls back to x1 when experiencing acceleration loads.

Dan Downs KCRP

All true. The most my computer can handle is 8x. at 16x it slows to 1x so much then restarts I might as well have it set much lower. All good though. Some day I may do a 10 hour flight at real time.

Vic green

All true. The most my computer can handle is 8x. at 16x it slows to 1x so much then restarts I might as well have it set much lower.

I prefer x4 because faster the simulator is always pausing to catch up scenery textures.  x16 is pretty extreme, I can't ever imagine using that, might as well stick to 1 hr flights.

Dan Downs KCRP

I prefer x4 because faster the simulator is always pausing to catch up scenery textures.  x16 is pretty extreme, I can't ever imagine using that, might as well stick to 1 hr flights.
This past weekend I selectively used manual 16x on a flight from NZAA to NCRG (about 3,5-4hr flight in real life)

I always made sure I was monitoring it and had my hands on the buttons to reduce at a seconds notice. 16x is about the limit in decent weather, at 32x it just prangs out of the sky. (Well, at the minimum, goes into pitch oscillation of a few thousand feet up and down - I can imagine waves of sick rolling in under the flight deck door... ugh)

For auto un-attended, I would stick to the PMDG limits. And save often. Across the ocean I think it copes better, but across land you are asking for CTD's

Thank you all.

I thought this is the case but wanted to make sure.

I am running X8 at the most and indeed the sim is pausing from time to time to "catch up scenery textures" as said above.

Benny K

Wouldn't it be cool if PMDG would create a function in the FMC where you could pick a way point way down route and the sim would automatically reload you there with fuel consumption calculated and you wouldn't have to use time compress or the click and drag method?

Humm, seems Robert said there would be some new features on the Queen when released. Be great for us two to three hour session simmers.

Vic green

How about teleportation then? You just sit with the plane configured at the ramp..press a button..a white light flashes and yippie you are at the destination airport sitting at the assigned gate...ultimate time compression.. 👻

Time compression is a very good feature for me since it enables me to safely do somewhat realistic flights with the 777 in the small amount of spare time I usually have after work. No need to beam myself from Dubai to Narita in one minute or less, but those flights become a lot more attainable at a 4x rate.

Dave P. Woycek