Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Do you want 'crispness' with your lettuce? How 'bout your photoreal?

Because AF2 is an embedded Steam.exe file, and you can't create a direct profile on nVidia Inspector, I had not been using that program to tweak the visual settings for the latest nVidia driver suite, of which you see in this later screen grab at the top.  I had great visuals, without the use of N.I., with AF2...so wasn't too 'panty-in-a-knot' over no profile of its own.

I know that AF 2 is an Open GL simulator, and not DX (whatever), but...for whatever reason, having these settings in play, within N.I. seems to work in post production. I know that XPlane's use of Open GL, is not affected at all, by N.I. settings...but AF2 seems to have Open GL settings tweaked by the latest N.I. and the latest nVidia driver suite. Having my settings in Global, as you see them, has brought AF2's photo-real into 'focus', just as you would bring a camera lens into focus upon your subject...by turning the lens, until focus is achieved.

Yesterday, I thought about this...and knowing that the Global Setting might/possibly(?) could, address AF2, through the nvidia driver suite, and tweak that driver's set Open GL parameters, I set up the following. I had nothing to lose...

In scenery crispness, focus, and clarity, the change was stunning.  I decided for my test flight, to take the Baron 58 up, out of Catalina Island, and because Catalina has such craggy water run-offs upon the mountains and hills, (over the centuries...) that this would be a great test bed for clarity, shadow field clarity, etc...depth of field, etc, etc,.

The results of running the following settings, just as I have them, was stunning to view.  Flying all and over Catalina, from near water height, to 1,800 feet ASL, I could see almost 'dirt clods' upon the ground.  Trees were 3D in nature, and this is without V.R. I don't have V.R. at this time.

Then, I set up for out of KOAK (Oakland, California), took in the whole of the San Fran bay, and again, the clarity of all ready great scenery graphics was outstanding.

I'd have to say, that the clarity, and depth-of-field of the photoreal is at least 50 percent cleaner, and clearer than without these settings as you see them.  So, try them out, and see if your AF2 scenery now 'pop's, post this Global Set up production.... :)

Happy AF2 flights,  :hi:  :Cuppa:

Post Edit:  Inside AF2, have your sim set to Ultra, in all categories.  This post assumes that you have it as so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NI_Global_Setup.png

Even regular Nvidia control panel settings work just fine. 

Enhance the application setting and AA 4x or more causes a noticeable improvement in buildings in the far distance shimmering a bit.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Even regular Nvidia control panel settings work just fine. 

Enhance the application setting and AA 4x or more causes a noticeable improvement in buildings in the far distance shimmering a bit.

I actually had that and some general enhanced settings on the actual nVidia Global Mask, but the added depth of choices using N.I., REALLY brought it all into focus, HiFlyer....almost night and day, and I already thought it looked great. I'd say, that the above settings, cranked my 'lens' to true dead-on 'focus'.  If I thought it looked 'real world' then...it was 'real world' with an old set of prescription glasses...  LOL.  

The trees, ground, colors, cliffs, rocks, houses, all of it...water mask...is now simply stunning to view!  :hi:  :Party:  :Cuppa:

These settings are my new AF2 'lenses'.... ;)

Ok...this is very interesting....

I just landed at Los Banos, California.   I was to date, NOT getting the true quality of the photo-real scenery, to date. It was already good for the visuals...but I have found out, man-oh-man, there is so much better resolution and clarity to be squeezed out of this sim!!!!

Absolutely, does any, or all, of my settings set, bring into focus, the phto-real.  I descended towards Los Banos Municipal, from Half Moon Bay, out of 12,000 feet...and even at 12,000 feet...I can so clearly see the outlines of each and every agriculture field, roads have razor sharp clarity, right out into the distance, as well as irrigation channels, and potable water reservoir runs.  It's like I just bought a Z(rate) upgrade photo-real package, to replace the in-sim default, which of course I did not.  It just has that visual impact that this is higher resolution, across the board.  

Total thumb's up!

Back to my flight, from Los Banos, to Tuscon.... :)

Thanks for this finding, I'll certainly give this a try, but isn't this to be taken with a grain of salt? Modifying the global settings influences all programs, and no one knows which results (e.g. performance-wise or otherwise) this may cause for other programs, including other simulators as well as completely unrelated software. You both may have left Prepar3d far behind, but 4xSGSS causes a noticeable performance hit for Prepar3d (albeit it's used by many, including me).

This may apply even more if, after some time, you might just forget about these settings.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for this finding, I'll certainly give this a try, but isn't this to be taken with a grain of salt? Modifying the global settings influences all programs

Yup. I didn't do it by changing global settings though. I just assigned it to the Aerofly exe.

And I didn't bother with Nvidia inspector, since I didn't want to fiddle with specialized high level changes. (Ymmv)

Essentially it was an experiment that turned out well, with no noticeable loss of FPS on my system.

It was based on this post from another forum, from a person working with the developers.

You should be able to increase graphics settings to ultra if you use ATW, I would just be a bit careful with super sampling. For the 980, even in NYC, you should be able to set SS to 1.60 -1.75. Even though in VR you don't see too much effect by using AA settings, if you use the following settings you should see some improvement in the quality of your overall image and sharper lines, less flashing shadows, and jess jagged edges on the polygons:

Anisotropic Filtering - 4x

FXAA - On

Antialising Mode - Enhance application setting

Antialising Setting - 4x

In-game make sure that VSync is set to OFF when in VR

This should be all you need, and you should see some results.

Let me know how you make out.

As for AA in-game settings, in time more settings will likely be introduced but I know that the devs don't want to complicate things for users. Keeping it simple is important.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Inspiring post Mitch, as usual. Tried it and it does indeed make the whole think a lot crispier. It seems to work fine btw if assigned to the aerofly exe only.

Hans

Inspiring post Mitch, as usual. Tried it and it does indeed make the whole think a lot crispier. It seems to work fine btw if assigned to the aerofly exe only.

I tried to find the aerofly.exe, but for some reason, didn't.  Where did you find it, so I can also assign it then to a sub-set....that would be the preferable way, of course!

Post Edit:  Found it...in the 64bit folder...so have assigned all of my Global settings to AeroFly 2.exe, in N.I., ...and will make Global 'benign' nVidia default, again.  :)))

Thanks,

Thanks for this finding, I'll certainly give this a try, but isn't this to be taken with a grain of salt? Modifying the global settings influences all programs, and no one knows which results (e.g. performance-wise or otherwise) this may cause for other programs, including other simulators as well as completely unrelated software. You both may have left Prepar3d far behind, but 4xSGSS causes a noticeable performance hit for Prepar3d (albeit it's used by many, including me).

This may apply even more if, after some time, you might just forget about these settings.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

I just found my AF2.exe file...and have assigned all that I show above, to that in N.I, ...and have now made my N.I. Global Setting, once more nVidia default. :)

Mitch

WOW...try theses settings!  I have changed a couple here and there.....the world is REAL!

settings2.png

The part I really can't believe is that all this comes without a 50 % performance penalty. As I said, I'll certainly try it when I find some time after work. 

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The part I really can't believe is that all this comes without a 50 % performance penalty. As I said, I'll certainly try it when I find some time after work. 

Kind regards, Michael 

Performance penalty?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?  :Talk to the Hand:

I have just cranked it to 8x....and I am keeping from 118-120 FPS, locked at 120 FPS!   No performance penalty at all.  At my original 4x on both those settings, it never wavered from 120 FPS.

You should see the sim at 8x....H.S.!   I can give up 2 FPS up 'n down, for this!!!!!!!!!  :hi:  :Party:  :Cuppa:

The photo-real world, is simply now....ultra fantastic!   WOW and WOW.......!  Of course, I have the sim set to Ultra, across the board.  No visual roll-backs....

Interesting but those 8x AA settings: don't they start to hurt performance a bit...? (Maybe not now but it could be too much in the future.) I have used the LOD bias option before in other games and it can help to make things look sharper somehow but don't overdo it because things can get too sharp too. BTW You have a setting for DX and for OpenGL: no need to set the latter since afaik AFS2 uses DX and not OpenGL. 

It was based on this post from another forum, from a person working with the developers.

Thanks for the quote, I might give those settings a try when I have my Rift working. 

Interesting but those 8x AA settings: don't they start to hurt performance a bit...? (Maybe not now but it could be too much in the future.) I have used the LOD bias option before in other games and it can help to make things look sharper somehow but don't overdo it because things can get too sharp too. BTW You have a setting for DX and for OpenGL: no need to set the latter since afaik AFS2 uses DX and not OpenGL. 

Thanks for the quote, I might give those settings a try when I have my Rift working. 

I go now at 8x, from 118-120 back and forth...but obviously, no discernible  outtake.  Yes..I did also set the -1.000 negative LOD for OpenGL, on my second screen, just in case it does add to the mix. It certainly isn't taking anything away...but oh my....8x is a keeper!   4x does just as well, to  bring things into focus, for sure!

BTW You have a setting for DX and for OpenGL: no need to set the latter since afaik AFS2 uses DX and not OpenGL.

I think it uses OpenGL, the videocard requirements on the Steam page cite OpenGL.

Also this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/434030/discussions/0/359543542239572204/#c359543542240014206

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think it uses OpenGL, the videocard requirements on the Steam page cite OpenGL.

Also this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/434030/discussions/0/359543542239572204/#c359543542240014206

That's why I covered both my bases...:)

crisp1.png[/url]

A suggested flight to test these settings out, is Catalina Island, to Long Beach Airport....and check out the suburbs and cul-de-sacs as you fly your approach into Long Beach.  You can almost see the BBQ's in the back yards, lol!

I know this is in the AeroFly forum, but does this work on FSX/9 etc for the global NI settings? I always thought doing that was a no no?