Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Interesting article from an XP11 convert

Pilot Edge is fantastic. Just do the trial, but be prepared to know your aircraft and have real world charts and data available.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Pilot Edge is fantastic. Just do the trial, but be prepared to know your aircraft and have real world charts and data available.

Thanks for the heads up

I get so jealous of that guy's virtual cockpit whenever when I see his videos, but I could never afford something like that

I just wonder, if he would have ever tried XP10.51, how different would the experience or conclusion have been?  Seems when XP11 recently came, everyone tried it and many really liked it, but personally having a great XP10.51 install as well as buying XP11, what's the huge jump I am missing?  With both installed, I still fly XP10 90% of the time.

This isn't a knock, purely a question.  I love flying in XP10.51, and agree earlier builds up until this past year or so weren't as great, but what's the huge jump from the last XP10 release that has been around for a while to the XP11 betas that has made such a difference to users?

The interface is much different, but that has good and bad results as you are more limited in selections in XP11 but basic things are easier.

Just curious why so many fell in love with XP11 but never considered or even liked XP10.51, when I struggle to tell the difference once you are past the interface.

• Upvote 2

Just curious why so many fell in love with XP11 but never considered or even liked XP10.51, when I struggle to tell the difference once you are past the interface.

I can give you my reasoning which was the lack of font scaling on my 43" 4K monitor.  In v10, I would have to get within a few inches of the screen and squint just to read menus and notices etc.  With v11, I can read the menus in 4k but there are a few items which are still to small to be readable such as the data outputs like the FPS counter.

I just wonder, if he would have ever tried XP10.51, how different would the experience or conclusion have been?  Seems when XP11 recently came, everyone tried it and many really liked it, but personally having a great XP10.51 install as well as buying XP11, what's the huge jump I am missing?  With both installed, I still fly XP10 90% of the time.

From the article, it sounds like easy configuration of his multi-screen setup in XP11 was a major tipping point.

For others coming across the fence from FSX/P3D, I'll bet the new GUI has more impact than you might think. The old XP10 interface wasn't any more inscrutable than a typical air combat sim like Rise of Flight or DCS. But FSX/P3D users have been staring at that old MSFS interface for a very long time. The new XP11 GUI is just approachable enough (read: "looks like a Windows program") to make the transition.

And yeah, we lost some granular settings we had in XP10 that I hope come back on an Advanced tab behind the basic stuff. We can edit the pref files, but we shouldn't have to do that.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I just wonder, if he would have ever tried XP10.51, how different would the experience or conclusion have been? Seems when XP11 recently came, everyone tried it and many really liked it...

I think XP11 has more "wow" factor than XP10 with its modern, user-friendly interface and shiny new graphics engine even though they're both essentially the same under the hood.

But to answer your question, the author of the editorial said he didn't like XP10 because he found it difficult to configure for multiple monitors, although he admits he didn't to spend much time at it (he says 10-minutes, but that may be an exaggeration).

Yes XP11 out of the box looks so real I think

(A bit too hazy for where I'm used to flying but still looks awesome)

They both look about the same at night except for reflections on aircraft.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

YT subscriber to his channel - good stuff and a great write up - thanks for sharing   :wink:

Rich Sennett

I jumped on the ship with X-Plane 10 only after a few failed attempts. The GUI put me off and out of the box wasnt beautiful. It was only I was patient enough to learn the GUI, installed uHD mesh, RTH and payware aircraft that I realised how beautiful X-Plane could be.The wish to fly the IXEG 737 made me want to give X-Plane another chance. However it was like an unfinished picture. Still needed a few strokes to bring it to life. The lighting, the shadows, bigger LOD, good default aircraft. And now with beta 8 increased performance. i would still ask the painter to work a little bit more on the clouds and water.

For me X-Plane 10 was like a beautiful girl on pijamas. But once she had a shower and put on a few clothes and make up you realised she was hot. Other girls looked hotter but you just realised it was too much make up and fake boobs. With the other girls you were always dissapointed you couldnt go any further (always ooms and poor performeance). But you had spent so much money on them that didnt want to start again.They were actually getting old. just the make up and the clothes made them look good.In X-Plane 11 she was getting very good at applying make up too. Started looking hotter than the other girls and attracting the attention of more guys.I think all I need to do now is to find nice clothes (developed airportsand quality planes) for her.

• Upvote 3

Yes XP11 out of the box looks so real I think

It also runs a lot smoother for me than X-Plane 10, which is the opposite of what I would expect considering how much better it looks, and the fact that it's still in beta.

----------

For me X-Plane 10 was like a beautiful girl on pijamas. But once she had a shower and put on a few clothes and make up you realised she was hot. Other girls looked hotter but you just realised it was too much make up and fake boobs. With the other girls you were always dissapointed you couldnt go any further (always ooms and poor performeance). But you had spent so much money on them that didnt want to start again.They were actually getting old. just the make up and the clothes made them look good.In X-Plane 11 she was getting very good at applying make up too. Started looking hotter than the other girls and attracting the attention of more guys.I think all I need to do now is to find nice clothes (developed airportsand quality planes) for her.

That is a really strange analogy.  :blink:

It also runs a lot smoother for me than X-Plane 10, which is the opposite of what I would expect considering how much better it looks, and the fact that it's still in beta.

----------

That is a really strange analogy.  :blink:

Sorry i might be just a little bit obsessed with women. ;)

I switched to XP11 99% because of the aircraft reflections and the realistic haze.

The hard horizon from XP10 bothers me too much now after I see what is possible with XP11.

The clouds and water still need a makeover, I think the water looked better in XP10, and the clouds are basically the same under the hood, but way too dark currently.

Actually, I think the clouds are acceptable after playing with some datarefs. I don't know why Laminar leaves them as is - except maybe to tell: hey, it is a beta, this will be improved before final release. xEnviro and SMP make a nice business out of it !

• Upvote 1