Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Interesting article from an XP11 convert

Hey Rich-

Have you moved over to XP permanently? I don't see your likes all that much over in the P3D forum these days  :smile:

Yes my friend  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Well then.

I just bought XP11 and thought I would give it a try. I've already got a ticket in trying to figure out how to download the file without installing as I have a 40mbps connection at work with ~5mbps on a good day at home.

We'll see.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi everyone. I'm the author of that post, and thanks for the kind words above. I did spend more than just 10 minutes with XP 10 - remember that I've had XP on my Mac for years - but there was no way I was going to run multiple instances on three PCs so it was sort of a non-starter for me. XP11 made that a lot easier (although I still had to figure out screen configs for my sim), and the visuals were just beautiful. So I stayed with it.

I also just really want to be like Rich ;-).

~ BFG

• Upvote 2

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I also just really want to be like Rich ;-).

~ BFG

LOL other way around my Friend - thanks for the great videos and good luck with your scenery projects  - looking good  :wink:

Rich Sennett

I haven't really "switched" to XP11, and I don't really understand that sentiment. It's not like I'm going to decide one day that I'm going to "switch" to pizza and stop eating pasta completely.

The vibrant freeware community is however what makes it possible to run XP11 without abandoning P3D. It's similar to how FS was in the FS98-2004 days. If addons for X-Plane cost as much as those for P3D, I wouldn't be able to afford or justify it.

Graphically, I have to say I'm really impressed with XP11. The lighting, reflections, haze and colors are extremely realistic and a huge step up from both XP10 and P3D. It's hard to specify, but it "feels" more next-gen and immersive. The default scenery is superb (for being default), and apart from the lack of landmarks, comparable to many third-party landclass-based addons for P3D. Performance-wise, it runs about the same as XP10 on my system.

That said, there are still aspects missing. I like how in P3D, every airport has AI planes flying around, reporting their positions in the pattern etc. There's no need for you to file a flight plan or configure anything to make the ATC work. I mostly fly VFR from smaller airports, and the AI in P3D/FSX really brings them to life. I've gotten used to having proper AI and ATC since the Flight Unlimited II days (1997), so XP11 still feels somewhat empty without it. Also, while there are a great number of freeware airports for XP, it can't compare to the sheer number of quality GA airports from OrbX (though it gets quite expensive if you want to "have them all").

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hi everyone. I'm the author of that post, and thanks for the kind words above. I did spend more than just 10 minutes with XP 10 - remember that I've had XP on my Mac for years - but there was no way I was going to run multiple instances on three PCs so it was sort of a non-starter for me.

10-minutes wasn't something I just plucked out of the air.  It came from your editorial:

"So maybe six months back I downloaded X-Plane 10, and it lasted on my system for about 10 minutes. As soon as I figured out that I could not easily run with multiple screens it was clear X-Plane 10 was a non-starter for the sim."

:P

• Upvote 1

I just wonder, if he would have ever tried XP10.51, how different would the experience or conclusion have been?  Seems when XP11 recently came, everyone tried it and many really liked it, but personally having a great XP10.51 install as well as buying XP11, what's the huge jump I am missing?  With both installed, I still fly XP10 90% of the time.

This isn't a knock, purely a question.  I love flying in XP10.51, and agree earlier builds up until this past year or so weren't as great, but what's the huge jump from the last XP10 release that has been around for a while to the XP11 betas that has made such a difference to users?

The interface is much different, but that has good and bad results as you are more limited in selections in XP11 but basic things are easier.

Just curious why so many fell in love with XP11 but never considered or even liked XP10.51, when I struggle to tell the difference once you are past the interface.

I agree, xp11 is not that different from xp 10,51 in my opinion. The main difference for me is the lighting and european autogen, which are all nice upgrades but no dramatic improvement. I was an xp lover with 10,51, and continue to be so with xp11

I haven't really "switched" to XP11, and I don't really understand that sentiment. It's not like I'm going to decide one day that I'm going to "switch" to pizza and stop eating pasta completely.

While I agree some people just don't have the HDD room or the money to run two decked out flight sims.

While I agree some people just don't have the HDD room or the money to run two decked out flight sims.

And time to follow and tune two difefrent programs, green with envy for all these people who can dedicate to a game more time than a work. I had to make a choose and that was XP because even if I recognize that some or a lot of stuff is missing I cannot really enjoy again  FSX environment. 

And time to follow and tune two difefrent programs, green with envy for all these people who can dedicate to a game more time than a work. I had to make a choose and that was XP because even if I recognize that some or a lot of stuff is missing I cannot really enjoy again  FSX environment. 

That's it for me.  I have room for both sims.  But, do not want to mess with having to keep them both up to date.  So, it came down to which one looks and runs better and that meant that P3D is gone.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

That's it for me.  I have room for both sims.  But, do not want to mess with having to keep them both up to date.  So, it came down to which one looks and runs better and that meant that P3D is gone.

It's not that much work for me. P3D v3 doesn't get updated as frequently anymore (they're probably focusing on P3D v4/x64), and X-Plane mostly takes care of itself, auto-updating at startup. I spend less time managing XP10, XP11 and P3D than I did constantly tweaking and fixing FSX back in the day.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I agree, xp11 is not that different from xp 10,51 in my opinion.

In my experience, XP11 looks and runs so much better than XP10, and it took a lot less effort to get XP11 looking and running great.  It doesn't necessarily run faster, but it does seem more efficient and stable than XP10.  I don't seem to get wildly fluctuating framerates, which goes a long way towards improving the overall experience.

In my experience, XP11 looks and runs so much better than XP10, and it took a lot less effort to get XP11 looking and running great.  It doesn't necessarily run faster, but it does seem more efficient and stable than XP10.  I don't seem to get wildly fluctuating framerates, which goes a long way towards improving the overall experience.

Same experience here, it just "feels" different, in a good way.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I agree, even if I cannot get anymore 100+ FPS, the feeling is more fluid, I must admit that I've tested it for a small amount of time because I cannot follow the beta circus, but the few times when I did a direct comparison same aircraft-same scenery I got the same sensation when I moved from PR3D to XP10...that is a better experience of suspension and being "there". I guess the next step would be VR but I doubt with my body I will never get there.