Sign in to follow this  
gusifer

Steves fixer kills my fps

Hello Steve,

I was told by another costumer on another forum that I should bring my problem to you as there was a good chance you could help me. Long story short I didnt even know your program existed until I purchased the FSlabs A320, first time I ran it it sent me a message saying the software worked better with your fixer because direct X used more efficiently the memory in my graphics card. Since I usually dont hessitate on spending some money to improve my setup I purchased it, but ever since installing it for the first time I have had serious problems with my fps.

I have a system that usually ran FSX at 30 - 35 fps depending on the airport and the aircraft, with the fixer is running at 9 - 15 basically it is running at a performance in which i really cant even fly, with the A320 is a little better, but with teh concorde, and 737 pmdg is terrible. A user on another forum sent me a guide to tweak the fixer and your graphics card so it will work better but it did not help at all, currently the best i can do with my fsx is to run it with the direct x and the fixer disabled, and im getting 18 - 25 fps pretty decent at least to keep flying.

I have a dell i5 3470 cpu intel 3.2 gigs with 8 meg rams, and a nvidia gt610, with windows 7. Its not the newest system but it has always worked well enough.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully Steve will jump in, but looking at your specs, your video card is marginal for FSX, I am afraid..  Yes, DX10 will try to use your video card better, but if your card cannot handle the load, this is of no help.  DX9 will keep all the load on your CPU and not use your video card as much.

So,  If DX9 works better for you than DX10, stay with DX9..  end of story.

Bert

Thanks Bert! that was the other thing on my mind, if I could get some clarity based on my system information, if upgrading the video card would help then I would definetely do it, but I want to make sure it will actually help!

Until Christmas I had a GTX260, which is in the same performance league as your card, and it worked good enough with DX10, with and without Steve's fixer. Maybe you activated some feature that used up more GPU power when configuring DX10 settings? For example aircraft casting shadows on itself, higher AA settings or larger textures?

The fixer provides visual enhancements and fixes that allows people to run fsx in dx10preview mode.

It is in itself performance neutral so the performance that you get running with the fixer should be the same as you get when you run fsx in dx10 preview mode ( with the consequent visual flaws) which you can test by uninstalling the fixer libraries.

What dx10 preview gives you is better memory management plus vc shadows and proper fog. There are also a few tweaks to boost gpu performance in clouds and fog.

The performance of dx10 ( without the fixer ) relative to dx9 will vary with the system, your settings and the aa setting. That is why I try to encourage people to test fsx in dx10 preview on their system before purchasing the fixer.

The fps that you see will be the lesser of whatever the gpu can do and what the cpu can do.

The cpu cost should be more or less the same between dx9 and dx10 except that

1) when in the vc in dx10 the vc model is drawn twice if you have aircraft casts shadow on self set to generate the vc shadows. With most aircraft this is negligible but with aircraft with a lot of operational switches in the cockpit e.g pmdg/fsl you can expect to see a 10-20% drop in frame rates, but for that you get working vc shadows ( and in many people's view dx10 is smoother than dx9 at a lower rate so the cost is less than it seems)

2) legacy airports written in the old pre fsx sdk perform slightly better in dx9

3) if you convert particulate effects performance will greatly degrade in dx10.

In terms of the gpu dx10 should be better with no aa. However the aa cost is generally the determing factor here and this depends on the same aa settings being set and if they are different you could see a big difference.

My guess would be that you have set a more costly aa setting in dx10 and that you probably have aircraft casts shadows on self set as well.

As a reference I have a 3570k and a gtx970 and a single 1920x1080 display.

With the 737ngx at the end of the runway at aerosoft eddm ( pretty much worst case scenario)

During the the day

clear skies

no ai

AA set to 4xMsaa and sgssaa

( waiting for mouse cursor to disappear always and unpaused)

DX10 with or without fixer and with vc shadows 23/24

DX10 with or without fixer with no vc shadows 28-30 occ 25

DX9 27-32 occ 22.

Adding clouds the differences between vc shadows and no vc shadows reduce a bit so dx10 with vc shadows is 22/23 without is 25/26.

Send me your aa settings to the yahoo support email from the manual.

• Upvote 2

Yes, which is set in entirely in Nvidia inspector with dx9, but in dx10 is set partly in fsx.cfg ( although the fixer controller has a friendly pull down to set that for you) and partly in Nvi. My best guess would be that you have replaced say 4xS for dx9 ( which is 4x msaa with 2x supersampling) or even just 4x msaa with no supersampling in dx9 with 8x msaa and 8x supersampling in dx10.

Anyway just tell me what settings for AA you were using in dx9 nad how you were setting them ( perhaps you weren't even using Nvi?)

Your gpu has a passmark of 360, mine is 9000, and fsl recommend a gpu with 5000, so any AA settings you may have taken from their website will be way off what your gpu can do.

Note that upgrading a dell may not be easy, you would have to worry about physical clearance and power draw.

Steve I have no idea what AA i was using before i got your fixer. I disabled AA on the fixer and got some improvement, but still i get the best fps turning the fixer off....

Can you recommend a better graphics card that will work with my optiplex 7010?

Can you explain what your mean by turning the fixer off? I.e do you mean uninstalling the libraries or switching to dx9?

At the moment I do not know what settings you have, or what settings you previously had.

Can you email me some screen shots please and send me your fsx.cfg

Are you using Nvidia inspector? And did you use it previously? Or are you using the Nvidia control panel or did you just tick the aa box in fsx settings?

I do not want to suggest a new graphics card until I can understand the situation better.

• Upvote 1

Ok i eill send you my cfg and shots to the support email on the manual.

I truly appreciate your help.