Sign in to follow this  

First flights with the Rift

Well, that would be the obvious conclusion, which is why I won't automatically trust it without at least a bit of evidence. (I'm weird that way)

My instinct says it's probably right, but I don't really get any strong sense of lag while using it, so it seems hard to believe something I can't even consciously perceive might be giving me vertigo.

On the other hand, Oculus and HTC pushed the specs for VR to 90Fps for a reason.  :unsure:

Again, I wish some other users would pop up to say if they are getting any similar sensations.....

Guess I should haunt the flyinside forums, if they have one.......

Go to flyinside-fsx.com. You will see Support/ Manual/ Message Board. Also info about Flyinside and Leap Motion Etc.

Sorry if I offended anyone, just thought any info about VR is interesting.

Will no longer post on Airosoft forum!

BaldyB

Go to flyinside-fsx.com. You will see Support/ Manual/ Message Board. Also info about Flyinside and Leap Motion Etc.

BaldyB

Well now I'm confused.....

Did my quoted post (which was directed at J van E) make you think I was offended in some way?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Did my quoted post (which was directed at J van E) make you think I was offended in some way?

Well, BalbyB certainly didn't offend me: maybe he thought I was because I said I don't use Flyinside? But I meant it very friendly: I just thought BaldyB didn't notice Flyinside does not work with/for Aerofly. So no harm done here and there is no need to stop posting here! Well, as long as it is slightly AFS2 related. :wink:  

@HiFlyer,

Back to the discussion of possible vertigo using FSX/P3D + FlyInside. I have flown system that a lot with my DK2 (before I discovered FS2 I also flew War Thunder and DCS) and don't seem to get vertigo but I would say that I have flown so many flight sims through the years (my  40 year career with the US Navy and Boeing Seattle) that I can adapt to the best there was there at 60fps with a real size cockpit shell for pilot training and to very stuttery 20-30fps engineering efforts. I do get some vertigo feelings if I don't have a cockpit structure around me - especially facing backwards. I did find that not having the fluid motion that FS2 provides really ruins the immersion of real life flight - I have my PPL. When we get the clarity of 2K/no SDE, it will be difficult to tell it's not real. I need to update my PC over the next year so I can get 5Ghz CPU and 1180 graphics!

P.S. Has anybody tried taking my VR clear vision test (see above in thread)? I really would like to hear a comparison from a CV1 user - I actually think my old fashioned lenses in the DK2 are better than the fresnel.

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

P.S. Has anybody tried taking my VR clear vision test (see above in thread)? I really would like to hear a comparison from a CV1 user - I actually think my old fashioned lenses in the DK2 are better than the fresnel.

I gave it a try in the Pitts but well, I think testing this is a bit hard because things also depend on your position. Static tests are best: flying somewhere and then checking something is too complicated. Anyway, I tried the Pitts and it seemed that with my face just behind the lower wing (hard to tell) I can just read the words... but I can also read them because I know what they say, Things get blurred pretty quickly. If I move away from the wing, backwards, it's very hard to read. That is by far the biggest drawback of the Rift. Still, once you are immersed it doesn't bother me anymore, unless I actually need to see something sharp, of course. As I said yesterday it is hard to see the runway until you are getting close and things on;y stop being blurry when you land. Still... awesome experience. :wink: (Just drove around in Dirt Rally once more: incredible. What an immersive experience that is.)

Dave

This might be informative...

As a general rule, the consensus in the VR community is that the Rift seems better for things like flight sims, but that the Vives slightly wider (apparent) FOV might be preferable for other types of games.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

CV1 image quality based on this youtube review looks a bit too good to be true to me. CV1 only has slightly more pixels per eye than DK2, but both use the dreadful pentile subpixle layout which means you loss 50% of blue and red pixels.

I'm curiously waiting hear from HiFlyer how PiMax with 4K panels may pan out... 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I'm curiously waiting hear from HiFlyer how PiMax with 4K panels may pan out...

And I'm dithering about buying it. Some of the reviews are very subpar, while some VR forums show ways the deficits can be compensated for.....

Everyone agrees the software is currently crap-o-licious, and some people have been unable to get the headset to work at all.

The instructions seem to be a website PDF in chinese.....

I'm torn. The saving grace right now is the thought that if I do pull the trigger and its awful, at least my nephew gets a free VR headset.  :lol:

Hmmmmmm.......

Devons rig

Update: It looks like I should wait, especially if this is actually on the horizon. http://uploadvr.com/pimax-4k-200-fov-headset-ces-2017/

Then of course, there are real left-field items like the FOVE 0. This sort of thing sets my imagination racing ahead at lightspeed. If you can use the eye-tracking to only have hi resolution exactly where you are looking, processing requirements could drop significantly, and that could also allow for higher resolution headsets with moderate to maybe even no increase in overhead.

But more... Imagine being able to simply look at a nob or button you want to manipulate in the plane, and then be able to work it......... o.O

Even leap motion might seem the lesser choice in an environment like that......

I'm stuck in the present, but my mind wanders the future.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

4K per eye plus 200 degree FOV, that sounds like dream VR set but too good to be true for 2017... Did PiMAX actually debut the VR set? 2017 CES is already a past.

4K per eye plus 200 degree FOV, that sounds like dream VR set but too good to be true for 2017... Did PiMAX actually debut the VR set? 2017 CES is already a past.

http://uploadvr.com/pimax-8k-200-degree-fov-headset-falls-flat-4k-model-future/

Devons rig

So it's interesting but definitely not worth buying at present. 

But having Pimax 8K on the market is a great thing. Even if Pimax fails to make the product to be truly useful, I hope their efforts should at least whip up those lazy ### of Oculus to push out at least a decent 4K CV2 asap... 

CV1 image quality based on this youtube review looks a bit too good to be true to me.

That is actually pretty much how it looks to me in my CV1.

J van E?

But having Pimax 8K on the market is a great thing. Even if Pimax fails to make the product to be truly useful, I hope their efforts should at least whip up those lazy ### of Oculus to push out at least a decent 4K CV2 asap... 

Eggzactly.

Devons rig

That is actually pretty much how it looks to me in my CV1.

J van E?

Yes, pretty much. Well, it feels like that anyway. I do have a bit more grain/noise than you see in that video but to me it isn't a very obvious screendoor effect. It is a bit hard, well, very hard, to tell on a video because with the Rift your mind plays tricks on you. ;) If I look for it, I might see it. But all in all it kind of does look like that on my Rift, with the blurries and all, and it CERTAINLY isn't as bad as DK2 looks in that video! Although some of the shots, like where you see the letters of Lucky, look good on both sides so I wonder how that guy created that video.

I have been determined to skip CV1 and wait for 4K VR. But from what you guys said CV1 seems to be so much nicer than DK2, kind of tempting...