Sign in to follow this  
Jetset408

FSLabs A320 for P3D - so is it worth it?

I am using a small folding coffee table that slides under my desk but is perfect to pull out and set the joystick on for sidestick.  

Also a way doing it, thanks for sharing Mark.

Richard Åsberg

This is a very good question, I was just thinking to ask the same thing.

Thanks for your input guys regarding sticks to use.

:smile:  :wink:

I am used now to have all my "gear" setup for captains place on right side . Maybe its time to be right handed with the Bus and accept the role as a Flight officer

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

The A320 by FSLabs is the best rendition of the Airbus out there, some would argue it's the most comprehensive add on ever made, and I'd agree with them. I would not hesitate in purchasing it and I didn't. You will get many happy hours flying it.

On a side note...

I have seen some commentary in 'news' items on YouTube by content creators calling the price 'jaw dropping' which is irresponsible. So just to qualify that statement let's do some comparisons, and please don't misinterpret me, I regard all PMDG products as best in class for their aircraft, no doubt about it... but I want to say this because it has annoyed me and it needs mentioning. As a company I would also be careful of bias, even positive bias like this, as it has the capacity to alienate and be counter productive.

So.....

If you want a PMDG license for the NGX base package in FSX and P3D it will cost $160 (and let's not forget this was 5 years ago). Can someone therefore explain to me why when I got the bus for FSX and P3D, for the price tag of $140 it's now described quite seriously as a "jaw dropping" price? And let's not forget, for that I also get an MCDU I can use on my iPad via web app. I mean... Seriously?!

I'm not saying the NGX isn't great, and the 777 for that matter.. I love both and happily paid the money for them, PMDG do a great job. And I don't doubt for a second the 747 will be great, but in this video conveniently pricing was glossed over, strangely... But we know from PMDG pricing for the 747 will be 'inline with the 777', and this for FSX and P3D base package licenses its $225, obviously not jaw dropping enough. Even if, you bought the bus full price FSX and P3D it is $240, that's comparing a highly detailed study level add on released 2016/2017 with a price from 2013... how is one called out and the other glossed over?

My message to this content creator is simple, many people watch your content and you have a responsibility to be even handed. If you want to call the A320 price jaw dropping, I expect an even hand and the NGX, 777 and 747 (assuming it inline with the 777) pricing to be described in the same manner, if you are not prepared to do that, out of loyalty, or for whatever reason, then please do not comment at all on price. It's misleading, deliberate or not. What has been said is inflammatory, and completely unjustified, and has certainly made me question whether or not I will be watching more of their content.

Anyway, if you can afford it, get the bus... It's great.. :)

Cheers

Craig

I understand your logic, BUT doesn't apply to P3D users only. I have PMDG, etc. So those prices you compare are half for me. Your logic only works if you get and use both license. (fsx,p3d). So coming from the 80 or 90 price tag to 140 for me to use on p3d is a big jump. 

:smile:  :wink:

I am used now to have all my "gear" setup for captains place on right side . Maybe its time to be right handed with the Bus and accept the role as a Flight officer

Michael Moe

I've been thinking of this too :smile:

When you're used being on the left hand side that would mean learning to use your left hand to control the a/c which might be a bit interesting when you're right-handed.

On the other hand I'm sure you'll get used to it pretty quickly. I don't think there's only left-handed bus captains out there :wink:

Richard Åsberg

When you're used being on the left hand side that would mean learning to use your left hand to control the a/c which might be a bit interesting when you're right-handed.

Is it really that much different to what you would do with a yoke anyways? When flying an approach using the yoke, I have to left hand on the yoke and the right hand on the throttle. So I have always directed the aircraft with my left hand. The only difference is that I now have a joystick in my left hand instead of the yoke.

PS: I am right-handed.

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

So, I guess that you guys would be keen to burn me at the stake for using a CH Flightstick Joystick with the PMDG 737NGX? :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So, I guess that you guys would be keen to burn me at the stake for using a CH Flightstick Joystick with the PMDG 737NGX? :wink:

This would be a valid reason to revoke your PC pilot license!

For all of you who up until now have been flying Boeings using a yoke what kind of stick did you get to fly this bird?

Surely I guess you want a high quality stick to go along with an aircraft such as this one...?

I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro...works great!  I think it was about $35. I like using the twist function for the tiller....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Flic1 does FSL allow to set it as tiller separately from rudder or you do it via fsuipc?

Been using saitek X52 pro for the last 4 years. Thinking of buying Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Controller plus Thrustmaster TFRP Flight Rudder Pedals from German amazon.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

A310_zpsaf2h6yuy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I understand your logic, BUT doesn't apply to P3D users only. I have PMDG, etc. So those prices you compare are half for me. Your logic only works if you get and use both license. (fsx,p3d). So coming from the 80 or 90 price tag to 140 for me to use on p3d is a big jump. 

What I would say in reply is compare the price for the 777 base package from PMDG for P3D which is $135.  This product was released I believe around 2013.  For this you get an exceptional airliner, 1 engine type, the 200LR and F air frames which are very similar.  For $140 from FSLabs you get a product released in 2017, for P3D of a single air frame with two engine types, performance modelling vastly different for each engine variant.  From that you could potentially argue that the FSLabs represents better value for money, and that's if you ignore inflation (and if you weren't let's say it would be around 2% for 4 years it's the equivalent of $146 in today's money on release day).

So my point is simple, to state, that the A320X is 'jaw dropping' in price, is only a fair statement, if you are also saying the 777 is 'jaw dropping' in price, and since it's been said that the 747-400 pricing will be inline with the pricing of the 777, this too will be 'jaw dropping'.  However the content creator appears to have a large bias in this case.  I expect this content creator to criticise, in the same terms, the 747 and 777 pricing from PMDG, if that content creator doesn't do this, then it would suggest their point of view is not even handed.  

Let me make one closing remark so I am not open to misinterpretation.  Do I think the 777, 737 or A320 are over priced?  Categorically... No.. I do not think they are over priced.  In fact I would even go as far to say they are probably priced quite modestly, in all cases.  That's my point of view and I stand by it.  I am saying that if I was as a content creator with a wide audience, integrity would be extremely important to me, and I would be considered, even handed and fair in how I represented pricing.  In this case I believe they did not do this, they stated one product is jaw dropping in price and glossed over the fact that the 747 is going to be 'inline with the 777' therefore likely to be in the same ball park of $134.99 for P3D or most likely even higher.  It implies that one represents value for money and the other does not, and since it was also stated they didn't own the A320X I am not sure how they would be in a position to make such a comparison.  So I expect this content creator, on release day of the 747, to pass comment on it's 'jaw dropping' price, or, there is clearly favouritism and therefore compromised integrity, and viewers of their content should be aware such a bias exists.  It will be interesting to see PMDG's reaction to his price assessment.  I expect RSR might be less than impressed... 

So they could have said... "The A320X isn't a cheap addon, it's $140 if you want the P3D version (although I think you also could get the FSX version too through upgrade), so it's inline with other study level simulations like the PMDG 777.  I don't actually own it myself so I'm not in a position to comment on it personally, however for all intents and purposes, and considering reviews by real pilots, it's widely accepted it's an exceptionally well done A320, most likely the best on the market today.. if that's the case then the price tag is consistent with the market".... more even handed I'd say.. wouldn't you?

Regards

Craig

• Upvote 3

Craig Read, EGLL

So i shelled out my 140 last night and bought this thing........... so mixed feeling, quality of layout, texture top notch, flight model seems to be on mark, however stability of product is not as good i hoped to be, out of 5 test flights crashed 3, and not sure if there is memory leak, or what, tuned stuff even to manual that they provided and still crashed.  below recap of scenarios that caused crash

crash one was odd, after first install started p3d went to kden (fligthbeam i think) scenery was half loaded so was like odd... exited to exterior to see more, p3d crashed, reload same setup with 777 all solid and in cockpit.

restarted p3d same setup with fsl 320 all loaded fine and great frames.  so happy.... did quick take off and land, seems to be solid.

crash two load up p3d at kjac (orbx) all loaded up scenery seems fine nothing missing, changed view outside and started walking outside, switched views few times, boom p3d died 

crash three, default scenario and just going through menu opetions and settings, and then got distracted and left running sim and plane on tarmac at the setting screen under units section and ran for looks like several hours, come back and hear my pc beeping and tried to figure out what but isolated to plane, no idea why, clicking in FMC yelled nothing so locked up,  switched view again and boom p3d crash.

other two flight seem to go through ok.  so will play more with it today and see how it goes.

Flic1 does FSL allow to set it as tiller separately from rudder or you do it via fsuipc?

I use FSUIPC to set all of my controls. I'm not 100% sure if there is a way through the FSL config options to set it up without FSUIPC.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro...works great!  I think it was about $35. I like using the twist function for the tiller....

Seems like a good one for a very nice price!

A310_zpsaf2h6yuy.jpg

Good one :lol:

Is it really that much different to what you would do with a yoke anyways? When flying an approach using the yoke, I have to left hand on the yoke and the right hand on the throttle. So I have always directed the aircraft with my left hand. The only difference is that I now have a joystick in my left hand instead of the yoke.

PS: I am right-handed.

You're right, now that I think about it I guess most of us Boeing drivers are used to flying with the left hand unless you decided to spend your time on the FO's side :smile:

Richard Åsberg