Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Voice recorder and ELT on 747 v3

Hi, I see from the previews that the Voice Recorder and ELT switches are not present on the overhead panel. Is it an option or aren't they prersent at all? Strange, because the voice recorder switches (and test) were present on the 777.

James Goggi

One of the beta videos showed a voice recorder panel :wink:  (way up in the top right hand corner). I didn't check for a microphone, though.

ELT? Egg, Lettuce and Tomato? :P

Cheers

John H Watson

ELT? Egg, Lettuce and Tomato?
Emergency Location / Locator Transmitter.

But I will have the EggLettuceTomato if your offering  :wink:

One of the beta videos showed a voice recorder panel :wink:  (way up in the top right hand corner). I didn't check for a microphone, though.

ELT? Egg, Lettuce and Tomato? :P

Cheers

John H Watson

Ah, yes, found. The one that is missing (but I suppose it's an option and is completely irrelevant), is the simple switch "Voice Recorder" (ON/AUTO) above the cabin altitude control panel, that allows to start recording before engines start...

James Goggi

is the simple switch "Voice Recorder" (ON/AUTO) above the cabin altitude control panel, that allows to start recording before engines start...

Indeed an option (on the real aircraft). In the old days, the accident investigators didn't seem to care about what was said in the cockpit prior to engine start... and if you ran the CVR constantly, it would wear out the tape. Now they have digital recorders, they can have them powered all the time (ours ran on 115Vac from the main busses). Our flight recorders activated either in the air or if one or more engines were running (I can't remember if ours had the optional 5 minutes extra recording after engine shutdown). Testing was done via the Central Maintenance Computer (CMC)

747-400v3 seems to be fitted with an ELT antenna.. so maybe the switch is hiding :Tounge: I wouldn't mind one with an orange-red flap. The black ones are kind of boring. If it's not there, maybe PMDG didn't have a recording of the alarm which sounds screams on VHF when you activate it? If they need one, I have one :wink: um...  When you test those things.... make sure you read all the instructions in the manual  :Tounge: 

Not as tasty as Egg, Lettuce and Tomato...

ELTPanel.jpg

I wonder what that yellow light, means :nea:

Cheers

John H Watson

• Upvote 1

Hi, I see from the previews that the Voice Recorder and ELT switches are not present on the overhead panel. Is it an option or aren't they prersent at all? Strange, because the voice recorder switches (and test) were present on the 777.

It's there. Waaaaaay up at the top right of the upper.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, where is the ELT switch? I can see the voice recorder panel at the top right corner, but can't see the ELT one

BCF and F variants only have the ELT switch.  FCOM NP.21.9 and 1.45.3.

The FCOM is your friend.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, I can assure you that the passenger B747-400 may have ELT, and that it has a switch also in the overhead. It seems like PMDG only simulated it in the cargo models.

Well, I can assure you that the passenger B747-400 may have ELT, and that it has a switch also in the overhead. It seems like PMDG only simulated it in the cargo models.

PMDG didn't write the FCOM..., it is a Boeing publication.  There are multiple ELTs on all models, but you usually have the ARM/RESET switch on the box or nearby.  They provided one in the cockpit of the freighter for convenience,  so you don't have to squeeze around pallets to get to them.  i'm not convinced you can assure me otherwise but you can try...., got a Boeing reference?

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, all my airline's 744 pax aircraft have ELT switches. Some had black guards, some had the ones with red flaps. If I recall correctly, the last four of our ER's had the black guarded ones as standard (ex-factory). Then the rest of our fleet were retrofitted with the new red flap type. The photo above is from one of our fleet. We have no 744 freighters.

e.g. SSM 23-24-01 (my airline).

Honeywell provides the remote (cockpit) panel for the "RESCU 406AF" (4 or 5 variations of panel) . It's been a few years since I looked at the paperwork, but the newer type hadn't yet been incorporated into the Maintenance Manual. We used manufacturer service manuals and other documentation.

The ELT transmitter is in the roof above the pax ceiling. There is no easy way to get to it on any 744. Not providing a remote panel is just being cheap  :Tounge: 

I don't think our airline is particularly unique.

Cheers

John H Watson

• Upvote 1

Mr Watson,

Not a single one of our 747s had the ELT switch.  Three different "Variants" based on delivery Line but I would almost be willing to guarantee it's and airline option depending on the type of ELT installed.   Testing them was not nearly as easy as it would have been on your fleet and Yes,  ALWAYS read the Maintenance Manual before testing. :wink:

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Error.. double posting. .

ALWAYS read the Maintenance Manual before testing

Now that I recall, the Maintenance Manual was a little ambiguous. It gave the impression that if you pushed the switch for less than 3 seconds, it wouldn't trigger the alarm.

I miss the old beta days, where the team fought over what was "normal" in the real world.

For Dan... Generic Boeing FCOM's with airline adaptation don't always tell you the truth. I hear our current FCOM doesn't even mention the red flap type (and we've had them for years).

Cheers

John H Watson

PMDG didn't write the FCOM..., it is a Boeing publication.  There are multiple ELTs on all models, but you usually have the ARM/RESET switch on the box or nearby.  They provided one in the cockpit of the freighter for convenience,  so you don't have to squeeze around pallets to get to them.  i'm not convinced you can assure me otherwise but you can try...., got a Boeing reference?

Hello,

This is a picture from Virgin Atlantic 747-400 Normal Checklist:

[Don't post copyrighted docs, please]

As you can see the ELT check is an item on the Preflight Procedures - First Officer.

Best Regards.

I see at least one of Korean Airlines' pax aircraft has the switch, too.

Cheers

John H Watson