Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Which Cessna 441 is best?

So, there's a very pretty shiny new Alabeo C441 and a less eye candyish Flysimware C441, which looks to be a bit more accurate systems-wise but not as flashy in the looks department. Does anyone have both? Is my assessment of their relative merits correct?

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've owned the FSW C441 for a couple of years.  Systems and flight modelling wise it's great. My bugbear with it is not the textures, but the interior engine sounds - one long drone, regardless of power settings (granted the RPMs are constant but there is no discernible sound change when power is added and those blades thicken, and the engines start working).   Aside from that, it's quite enjoyable.   Not as good as their MU-2 or Lear 35.

I bought the Alabeo C441 last week and have found it a complete snooze-fest.  Just doesn't have any of the magic that their little Seminole or some of their other better releases have.  Just feels like any other CAR/ALA turboprop attempt (and flies like any Carenado twin does). That's just my take on it - it's uninstalled as I'd literally never fly it.   Others may find differently.

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

There's a new update on short final for FSW... The guy continues to support his products long after release... Check the updates page on FSW site - the list is comprehensive...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

If you just want eye candy, Carenado/Alabeo is the ticket.

If you want the flight model and systems to be modeled about as well as they can in FSX, then Flysimware.  And yes, Flysimware is constantly addressing bugs as they are reported and updating and improving their releases.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Cheers for the replies. I'll check out that forthcoming update. I do really want a C441 back in my virtual hangar, had the old Flight 1 version and in fact did a review of it for Avsim years ago, but good as that one is/was, it's a bit long in the tooth nowadays, so I figured I'd get one of the newer attempts at what is a very flexible GA/small airliner twin owing to its speed, range and cruise alt, and that being the case, I'd prefer the one which does the Garrett as well as FS can too.

Alan Bradbury

I'd prefer the one which does the Garrett as well as FS can too.

That would definitely be the FlightSimWare version!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

As expected, I went for the FlightSimare version. I know the Alabeo one looks a bit prettier, but I'll take accuracy over good looks where flight sims are concerned, since it is ultimately kind of the point of having specific aircraft for them in your sim.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Well, that was a waste of money LOL, tried everything, but the propeller start locks simply refuse to disengage, so I can't even taxi the thing, let alone fly it.

I can actually start the engines with the locks disengaged (which I shouldn't be able to do and certainly could not do so on a real 441), or start a flight with the engines running, but even then with the engines cranked up, it won't budge an inch (I actually thought it was chocked and not displaying the chocks, but apparently not). Regardless of where the condition levers or throttles are, the thing flat out refuses to move.

There are other issues too, the starboard prop animation doesn't play all the time, the port generator won't come on, the annunciator lights won't extinguish, none of the engine gauges react at all, sounds play randomly, etc. I even tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it it was that bad, but it made no difference.

If I didn't know any better - having just bought it - I'd have thought it was some knock off download off a torrent site it's that busted lol.

I emailed the vendor and asked for a refund.

Alan Bradbury

I do not think any of the issues you reported have been reported in the Flysimware forums.  Methinks either something is funky with the download or the installation did not go quite right.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Folks,

I'm surprised as well - I've heard nothing but good things on the functionality and operation of said plane... Might be worth taking this to the FSW forum here on Avsim - I know there are people that really like this plane due to its realistic performance... I can personally vouch for the Lear 35 as it has quickly become one of my all time favorites in my long history with FS...

Regards,

Scott

Definitely bugs that I've never experienced, the FSW 441 is rock solid on my system. I'm sure the issues you are having can be resolved.

Hi Folks,

Also - there was an update for the C441 pushed last night from what I gather - should probably verify the version being installed...

Regards,

Scott

Yup, I agree it is very odd. I've got FlySimWare's Lear 35 and their Bell H-13 Sioux, and they're both great, no problems at all. The C441 is version 1.9 (bought from Just Flight, so if there was a patch it'd require JF to update their download). In the interim, I've bought the Alabeo one, that one is prettier visually for sure and represents one with different avionics, so I'm not averse to owning both if that's the way it ends up, although I think the weathering is a bit over the top on the Alabeo C441, with far too many scratches around the acess panel screws and d-sus fasteners; in my experience, most million-dollar-plus aircraft are pretty well cared for and don't look like the ground crew couldn't be arsed finding the right screwdriver, you expect to see those scratches on something like a Spitfire or a Bf-109 in 1940, where they'd be rushing to re-arm it and probably scratch the paint in doing so, but not on something which is more carefully serviced lol. It's okay systems-wise, although it definitely has some issues, most notably the thing wants to set off like a rocket on the ground and requires you to brake a lot and mess about with the condition levers and throttle levers to have it taxy slowly. It has a typo in the VC switch labels too. But for the moment at least, I can get it off the ground. Flew it from Manchester to Paris last night, although again, the ground handling issues make it less than convincing on the roll out after touchdown.

Alan Bradbury

I have never heard of such grave bugs as you describe with the Flysimware C441.

Sometimes there are some smaller issues when switching to the 441 from a different plane loaded as default aircraft, so maybe something like this happens here, too?

But I would assume that this would affect the MU-2B, too.

Just to ask the obvious: Have you tried selecting "Ready to start" or "Cold & Dark" from the popup panel and continue from there?

Yup, did try that, no joy. gonna have another try with it in a minute though..

Alan Bradbury