Sign in to follow this  
Gabster

strange shadows

Hey there...just look at the images. In Mountains I always get these kind of shadows and the other images show strange shadows and horizontal lines. Any Idea what that is and how to fix it?

Thanks for any hint! :-)

2017-1-21_21-25-14-975.jpg

2017-1-24_12-10-22-616.jpg

2017-1-24_12-11-26-82.jpg

2017-1-21_11-38-24-636.jpg

anyone?

An artifact due to shadows being clipped outside the display radius?

Try making the shadow display radius larger.

An artifact due to shadows being clipped outside the display radius?

Try making the shadow display radius larger.

Thanks - but didnt help :-( The first image looks like some kind of haze is conflicting with the mountains and is flickering. On the other images I am flying into the sun so there should'nt be any shadows at all.

Guest tymk

Hi,

I'm not sure about the first image, I'd try clearing your shader cache to make sure nothing got corrupted there (delete the "c:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders\" directory).

As for the remaining pictures, start by maximizing the cloud shadow cast distance, these are definitely cloud shadows being cut off beyond your set range. If you look closely, there are clouds between you and the sun, so the shadows should be there... :wink:

HTH,

Tym

The first image is a bug that I've seen when in mountain ranges where the cloud layer is at or just below the actual terrain. The cloud shadows you see there are being cast from clouds that are actually below the terrain there. There is no fix that I've seen.

The rest of the images are just the cut-off line for draw distance of the cloud shadows, as Tym mentioned. You can increase it in the P3D lighting settings.

If you look closely, there are clouds between you and the sun, so the shadows should be there... :wink:

The rest of the images are just the cut-off line for draw distance of the cloud shadows, as Tym mentioned. You can increase it in the P3D lighting settings.

Thanks so far. However I am not sure if I can follow. If this is cloud shadows then the way those shadows are created by P3d is not right. How can a small flake of cloud create such a sharp shadow and why would the shadows start right under the cloud when the sun is nearly the same height? hmhmh...

Also the straight line seems not to go along with distance settings. Look at this. No line, shadows are not having a sharp quadratic shape...
2017-1-29_17-29-11-236.jpg

If you don't believe me, try turning off cloud shadows the next time you see these issues... ;)

Also the straight line seems not to go along with distance settings. Look at this. No line, shadows are not having a sharp quadratic shape...

Don't know about the shadows but you have some great colors there.

What are you using for those?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Don't know about the shadows but you have some great colors there.

What are you using for those?

Moved away from REX Sky Textures to: http://navidh.se/misc_navids_skyset_2016_v3.html
With PTA+Adams Preset: http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA&preset=20_09#2009
ASN might also add value due to its haze.

2017-1-21_11-38-24-636.jpg
Ok that was indeed the shadow radius. To bad LM did not create a smoother transission.