Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

Changing FSX Select Airport Dropdown Entries

There s no doubt in my mind this has been answered here, but I have not been clever enough to find the appropriate search terms to net me any results. My apologies in advance if I unintentionally missed the obvious.

1. Is there a means of editing the entries in the Coutnry filter of the Free Flight > Select Airport dialogue of FSX. For example, in mthe drop down I have US, USA, United States and United Statesq. I would like to be able to promote some consistency and change them all to United States.

2. I have a lot of custom scenery (ie non default) as I'm sure most do. Is there a means to customize the airport ID with a user type identified, text addition) to easily distinguish between defualt and addon sceneries? Would such an edit affect FSX's functionality?

Rob

RM Killins

You would need to find the BGL file that holds the data, decompile the file, edit to your liking and recompile back into a BGL file.

Doable, but tedious.

• Upvote 1

2. If you manage your sceneries with SceneryConfigEditor, you can easily rename and re-organize your add-on sceneries to your liking. So basically any add-on airports/areas would show up in this list.  No, it would not look any different in the default FSX drop-down box - but if you're familiar with your add-ons, you know which are non-stock anyway (I keep track of my add-ons via a Google map, with my airports pinned to it).

I even think you could accomplish your #1 with SceneryConfigEditor, again just for your add-ons.  It has a Grouping feature which allows you to group multiple add-ons into one category (e.g. 'United States').  I thin this is for easy selection of several add-ons at once, I'm not too familiar with that feature.

SceneryConfigEditor is a great program.

Hans Soule

Another approach would be to use the Airport Map facility of the OpenSource Little NavMap.

It has a very nice feature which allow to display only airports which are AddOn. It has also an interesting Search Airport functionality according to various criterias, one of them being "AddOn".

Take a look at the documentation https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

It is a quickly growing flight planner - I use now this one exclusively (very performant).

Gérard