Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Immediate performance drop. Why?

OK, I am getting to a point where I am about to drop my flight simming into a big trash can! In six years of simming I have never been so frustrated and angry as I am at the moment. Since October I have reinstalled FSX-SE twice and installed P3D, hoping that it would be my saviour. This is after the rebuild and OC of a pretty beefy machine.See signature.

To all intents and purposes, I see P3D as a keeper, :smile:  except for this one thing..... for some reason, after starting a flight, within about ten minutes, my fps drop from about a relatively smooth 30 to a stuttering mess of anything between 12-18! This is not what I installed P3D for, or to rebuild my PC!  :mad:  it has all the characteristics of something like Windows updating in the background, the stuttering is so bad. I run Process Explorer and could see nothing that was evident on these occasions. I also looked at services. There was nothing untward happening on the CPU either. I have Windows update switched off, I have Acronis updates switched off, I have no AV installed, I closed Active Sky, thinking that was a problem, restarted the sim and nothing had changed. I am really frustrated.

Is there something obvious I'm missing, 'cos if there is, I don't know what it is!  :unknw: Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions. Cheers fellas.  :help:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You really are having bad luck...have you disabled the search indexing service?

Hi, I had this issue once with the sound mods of my custom ai airplanes, just a  thought, good luck!

Sergio Naiberg

Specific area or everywhere? If you rename your p3d.cfg and let it build a new one and make no changes - same thing happen?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This is after the rebuild and OC of a pretty beefy machine

What are your temperatures like when this happens ?

There's definitely something outside of P3D interacting here as I have the same processor and RAM as you, however have a GTX 980 and will have mostly consistent high fps, even with high settings (certainly no drops to the lower 10s like you mentionned). I use tons of 3rd party addons from Orbx / PMDG / FSDreamteam / Aersoft and still don't encounter this type of issue.

Perhaps try downloading the VAS checker by Flyproject to see if there's anything abnormal going on when you see the drop in FPS?

I would also maybe check your CPU usage in task manager while this is happening? could help you identify if a particular process is hogging your CPU.

Another tought is windows update. This sounds silly but i've had overall terrible performance in Windows 10 when updates get installed in the background.

Hope this might help!

• Upvote 1

You really are having bad luck...have you disabled the search indexing service?

Hmm, not sure Paul. I'll look at that, cheers.

Windows defender?

Nope, switched off.

Specific area or everywhere? If you rename your p3d.cfg and let it build a new one and make no changes - same thing happen?

Vic

Different areas Vic. Rebuilding the cfg is my next move, but I'm pretty confident that has nothing to do with it.

What are your temperatures like when this happens ?

Hmm, temps are fine, 78c or there abouts.

There's definitely something outside of P3D interacting here as I have the same processor and RAM as you, however have a GTX 980 and will have mostly consistent high fps, even with high settings (certainly no drops to the lower 10s like you mentionned). I use tons of 3rd party addons from Orbx / PMDG / FSDreamteam / Aersoft and still don't encounter this type of issue.

Perhaps try downloading the VAS checker by Flyproject to see if there's anything abnormal going on when you see the drop in FPS?

I would also maybe check your CPU usage in task manager while this is happening? could help you identify if a particular process is hogging your CPU.

Another tought is windows update. This sounds silly but i've had overall terrible performance in Windows 10 when updates get installed in the background.

Hope this might help!

Thanks. I'll follow your suggestion. Gonna try some testing later, so I'll report back.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I have been having some issus also sim runs fine then stutters and fps drop and then after sometime its fine again.

I think its win 10

Going to try ultimate win 10 tweaker 4 see how that works out.

78c seems a little high doesnt it.?Have you tried without overclock?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Orbx? If so, uncheck all.

What aircraft? Use stock AC.

Weather app? If so, do not use when testing.

Remove OC, set to defaults.

Let us know.

78c seems a little high doesnt it.?Have you tried without overclock?

Michael Moe

Hmm, not from what I have read. That is under load though, not during simming.

Orbx? If so, uncheck all.

What aircraft? Use stock AC.

Weather app? If so, do not use when testing.

Remove OC, set to defaults.

Let us know.

I'm doing the same flight again without AS and rebuilding the cfg and disabled Windows search

Howard

Right, 78C is just fine, my GTX980Ti runs in the 70s as well and up to 95C is no cause for concern.

I suggest you try frame rate lock at 20 fps.  Give it a try.  I suspect the frame rate drop will disappear.

Dan Downs KCRP

Right, 78C is just fine, my GTX980Ti runs in the 70s as well and up to 95C is no cause for concern.

I suggest you try frame rate lock at 20 fps.  Give it a try.  I suspect the frame rate drop will disappear.

Sure, just checked it in the sim and it is always at about 68-70. As for locking at 20 Dan, I appreciate your help, but that's not exactly getting to the root of the problem  :smile:

Howard

Is this a temporary drop or lasts for the rest of the session.   I can only comment the AutoSave in FSUIPC will do that with each save on a complex aircraft because it takes some time to write the file with all the parameters it is trying to save.  I would not suggest disabling it but just increasing the save time to 10 or 15 min.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000