Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Immediate performance drop. Why?

ohh i thought you were talking about the CPU and not the GPU.

If the problem as you describe also was or is present in FSX back to october last year it could be something throttling down. Thats why i suspected the CPU.

Does not damage to check the temp and fan for dust. At least try just a BIOS default reset solution.

It do sound strange. hmm i do recall something simular back in the FSX days though. Need to think

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

After following all of my original directions above (as applicable) and no joy, do the following leaving the CPU in the default state (no OC):

Shut down computer.

Turn off PS switch in back of computer.

Pull power cord from PS.

Press and hold computer power button for 30 seconds.

Remove and reinstall memory.

Reverse procedures above. 

ohh i thought you were talking about the CPU and not the GPU.

If the problem as you describe also was or is present in FSX back to october last year it could be something throttling down. Thats why i suspected the CPU.

Does not damage to check the temp and fan for dust. At least try just a BIOS default reset solution.

It do sound strange. hmm i do recall something simular back in the FSX days though. Need to think

Michael Moe

All Checked Michael

Is this a temporary drop or lasts for the rest of the session.   I can only comment the AutoSave in FSUIPC will do that with each save on a complex aircraft because it takes some time to write the file with all the parameters it is trying to save.  I would not suggest disabling it but just increasing the save time to 10 or 15 min.

Hmm, interesting suggestion, I'll check Mark. I have never experienced anything like this in FSX.

After following all of my original directions above (as applicable) and no joy, do the following leaving the CPU in the default state (no OC):

Shut down computer.

Turn off PS switch in back of computer.

Pull power cord from PS.

Press and hold computer power button for 30 seconds.

Remove and reinstall memory.

Reverse procedures above. 

Are you suggesting it could be duff RAM?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

OK, I am getting to a point where I am about to drop my flight simming into a big trash can! In six years of simming I have never been so frustrated and angry as I am at the moment. Since October I have reinstalled FSX-SE twice and installed P3D, hoping that it would be my saviour. This is after the rebuild and OC of a pretty beefy machine.See signature.

To all intents and purposes, I see P3D as a keeper, :smile: except for this one thing..... for some reason, after starting a flight, within about ten minutes, my fps drop from about a relatively smooth 30 to a stuttering mess of anything between 12-18! This is not what I installed P3D for, or to rebuild my PC! :mad: it has all the characteristics of something like Windows updating in the background, the stuttering is so bad. I run Process Explorer and could see nothing that was evident on these occasions. I also looked at services. There was nothing untward happening on the CPU either. I have Windows update switched off, I have Acronis updates switched off, I have no AV installed, I closed Active Sky, thinking that was a problem, restarted the sim and nothing had changed. I am really frustrated.

Is there something obvious I'm missing, 'cos if there is, I don't know what it is! :unknw: Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions. Cheers fellas. :help:

Are you running as16? There is a known issue at the moment after sp1 there has been significant drop in performance, stutters and fps drop in dense clouds.

Users are experiencing without 4xsgss.

Huge spike in gpu load

Hifi are working on a fix.

Cheers

Mike

Just what I wanted to say: AS16. Same problem here, just like many others.

Otherwise I have two suggestions:

1) Stop and Disable BITS and WUAUSERV services, reboot

2) Try with only clean windows + all updates + drivers + p3d

(I will guess right now off the bat that you are somewhat versatile in windows installation, like installing appropriate drivers, best the newest versions when installing fresh etc.)

It shouldn't be necessary to disable anything in windows. If you install 3rd party AV, make sure you exclude prepar3d.exe and the whole (or any) folder(s) concerning FS. (I have it on the separate SSD, thus I exclude the whole drive).

Otherwise Win10 is pretty clean OS once updated currently, and stable here on my machine. I have zero need to "tweak" it really.

You mentioned you checked PE, how about Resource Monitor? I would do following: let P3D run, and if/when the performance drops in P3D, don't exit it, but end the process. How is resmon acting? - CPU, HDD/SDD activity, see if anything weird in there.

Another thing too: keep CPU-Z open, and see what Clocks is showing you. Compare if you get the FPS drop. Maybe the CPU is downclocking...? That said, since you are overclocking, at first all your power management states should be off. This includes all C-States and Speedstep. For the first OC (I run my 6700K well at 4.8 @ 1.424V in the CPU-Z. I don't know now which LLC level is, but I think it's 2 down from the top (high??), and I am using offset.

In the end, you might trying to run completely stock, to make sure your OC isn't doing this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Same Same.

Revert to P3D 3.3.5 as a workaround while hifi fixes it.

Same Same.

Revert to P3D 3.3.5 as a workaround while hifi fixes it.

Really not going to do that. It's AS16 problem, not P3D's. My 3.4 is otherwise very stable and without any problems (knock on wood).

Rockliffe, Recently I experienced something similar not on my flightsim computer, but on a Lenovo laptop with windows 7-64. A few minutes after boot it became very sluggish for about 10 minutes then it would settle down. My CPU usage was up about 25% and I had extreme disk usage. Nothing stood out in CPU usage in process explorer but a number of programs had a lot of disk access. With process monitor numerous programs were doing lots of file checks including windows update. I couldn't find a source of the trouble though.

I found the culprit by using windows msconfig. I turned off all of the non-windows programs and services and rebooted. Problem stopped. I then turned backed on 50% of the services and retried. Wash, rinse, and repeat until it was isolated. It ended up being a bad Lenovo driver that they still have not updated so I disabled that service. I am still stumped as to why a bad Lenovo driver would cause Windows update to scan my computer.

This approach not solve your problem but it is a quick and easy check on issues caused by external programs. When I first built my current flight sim computer I had the ASUS Suite II overclocking and monitoring utility installed that caused all kinds of problems. I isolated it this way and then manually overclocked my machine.

Good Luck,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Are you running as16? There is a known issue at the moment after sp1 there has been significant drop in performance, stutters and fps drop in dense clouds.

Users are experiencing without 4xsgss.

Huge spike in gpu load

Hifi are working on a fix.

Cheers

Mike

Yup, I think that's it. I remembered that previously on FSX-SE I experienced exactly the same issue. I did some test yesterday, without AS, and the problem was not present. 

Otherwise I have two suggestions:

1) Stop and Disable BITS and WUAUSERV services, reboot

2) Try with only clean windows + all updates + drivers + p3d

(I will guess right now off the bat that you are somewhat versatile in windows installation, like installing appropriate drivers, best the newest versions when installing fresh etc.)

It shouldn't be necessary to disable anything in windows. If you install 3rd party AV, make sure you exclude prepar3d.exe and the whole (or any) folder(s) concerning FS. (I have it on the separate SSD, thus I exclude the whole drive).

Otherwise Win10 is pretty clean OS once updated currently, and stable here on my machine. I have zero need to "tweak" it really.

You mentioned you checked PE, how about Resource Monitor? I would do following: let P3D run, and if/when the performance drops in P3D, don't exit it, but end the process. How is resmon acting? - CPU, HDD/SDD activity, see if anything weird in there.

Another thing too: keep CPU-Z open, and see what Clocks is showing you. Compare if you get the FPS drop. Maybe the CPU is downclocking...? That said, since you are overclocking, at first all your power management states should be off. This includes all C-States and Speedstep. For the first OC (I run my 6700K well at 4.8 @ 1.424V in the CPU-Z. I don't know now which LLC level is, but I think it's 2 down from the top (high??), and I am using offset.

In the end, you might trying to run completely stock, to make sure your OC isn't doing this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Thanks Simon, I believe it is AS, but I will follow your advice also.

Rockliffe, Recently I experienced something similar not on my flightsim computer, but on a Lenovo laptop with windows 7-64. A few minutes after boot it became very sluggish for about 10 minutes then it would settle down. My CPU usage was up about 25% and I had extreme disk usage. Nothing stood out in CPU usage in process explorer but a number of programs had a lot of disk access. With process monitor numerous programs were doing lots of file checks including windows update. I couldn't find a source of the trouble though.

I found the culprit by using windows msconfig. I turned off all of the non-windows programs and services and rebooted. Problem stopped. I then turned backed on 50% of the services and retried. Wash, rinse, and repeat until it was isolated. It ended up being a bad Lenovo driver that they still have not updated so I disabled that service. I am still stumped as to why a bad Lenovo driver would cause Windows update to scan my computer.

This approach not solve your problem but it is a quick and easy check on issues caused by external programs. When I first built my current flight sim computer I had the ASUS Suite II overclocking and monitoring utility installed that caused all kinds of problems. I isolated it this way and then manually overclocked my machine.

Good Luck,

Ted

Thanks Ted, appreciated.

At the moment, things seem to be OK. I just have one final, single issue, and that is Vsync. Having real issues with this. I will post a separate thread I think for this topic.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:    I'm pleased to report, that I have not experienced any further issues since following much of the suggestions here fellas. So thanks everyone. Equally important, I have managed to sort out my Vsync issue. I had been going around in circles for days and then I remembered about Windows aero. I never really thought it would work, but linked with adaptive Vsync in NI (didn't work previously without aero) it has now been sorted. Also, because I have not used Vsync inside P3d, which previously dropped my performance by 50%, the performance I am seeing is superb! I'm locked at 30 and haven't seen it drop below 30 yet! I do yet have to install the NGX, with FS2Crew, so it may well drop then, but as for all my GA flying in A2A aircraft and the full works with Orbx sceneries, it's works superbly well. So I am extremely happy.  :smile:

Howard

Glad to hear you don't have to give up ypour hobby!  :smile:

Glad to hear you don't have to give up your hobby!  :smile:

:smile:

:smile: I just need to confirm what others have said about AS being the initial culprit with the drop in performance. I'm prertty sure it is, as I had a similar experience with it in FSX-SE, but not in FSX.

Howard

Hi old friend been watching this topic and really glad your sorted Howard.

best regards

Dave.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hi old friend been watching this topic and really glad your sorted Howard.

best regards

Dave.

Hiya Dave, how are you. I've seen your posts on occasions over here. Sure, still the new boy on the block with regards to P3D. It's still early days, but it looks like I have actually got it to function pretty well at the moment. I'm just taking my time at the moment, introducing a new addon slowly while making small tweaks here and there.

Glad you have it sorted mate.

I gather you are not using as16 sp1?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, yes I do. I believe that was the problem with my massive performance issue. Is this a known issue? As it was suggested this was the case earlier in the thread.

Howard