Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

When/how to divert learned the hard way- Cherokee NFSI

I set out in mild sunny conditions for a nearby airfield to practice circuits. Weather turned bad and instead of diverting early, I stubbornly tried to stick to my original goal. The realism of Active Sky's live weather combined with OrbX/A2A scenery/Cherokee has changed forever my flight prep in sim after this episode. Current weather conditions are no longer enough. I will research forecasts as well and make sure I have enough fuel on board not just to return to my original airport but also to divert to a third 50 miles away if I have to. A sobering experience.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Had similar experience 2 days ago flying the Shrike Aero Commander from Asheville NC over to Nashville. Orbx and AS. Ceiling was 500 overcast on takeoff, and i did not check weather at destination. In the RW i would have stayed home! Trying to ease over the mountains and see some trees, land, anything.....absolutely solid. Did not have time to search out an alternate, so hit Escape. I realize that was a cop-out, and will do more weather research in the future. AS is really wonderful!

Had similar experience 2 days ago flying the Shrike Aero Commander from Asheville NC over to Nashville. Orbx and AS. Ceiling was 500 overcast on takeoff, and i did not check weather at destination. In the RW i would have stayed home! Trying to ease over the mountains and see some trees, land, anything.....absolutely solid. Did not have time to search out an alternate, so hit Escape. I realize that was a cop-out, and will do more weather research in the future. AS is really wonderful!

Oh wow yes when the fog/mist hits the fan. Climbing hold in Norway between two mountains (didnt have power to go direct and carb icing was hitting me) when there I am, completely disoriented, rpm decreasing, no navaids to tune to as VFR airport only. I kept ascending butt-cheeks clenched in a very tight circle till over the soup and I could divert. I'm sure you know what happened after that already!

I only ESC when I have no fuel and airports impossible to reach as can't retract gear on this baby so it's not going to end well...

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK