Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

FsAerodata

Thought this was worth a thread in itself, a scenery add-on that upgrades all the out of date default nav data from 2006 that is still part of FSX and P3D.

It is derived from Jeppeson data and sits alongside the more usual navigraph data that we are all used to, being released in the same airac cycles.

It aligns all airways, intersections, navaids and approaches to current data, for default and addon airports, so you should never find a mismatch between your aircraft navdata and the runways/approaches being offered.

Jay Bloomfield and I are using it with VoxATC, with some success so far. I have no stake in this addon, apart from being a user.

Worth a look at least- www.fsaerodata.com

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Bump...

No-one else has an opinion on this?!?! :)

K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Kevin,

i am using fsaerodata, too. I think, it is very helpful to synchronize perhaps the inbuild GPS I use with some easy addon planes with more advanced software like Pro-ATC which uses up to date AIRACs. And up to now, I found no bugs or adverse effects using fsaerodata.

Matthias

Is this not the same as Herves Navaid updates ? Which is free ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Is this not the same as Herves Navaid updates ? Which is free ?

No I dont believe it is the same at all.

I have used Herves updates in the past and unless he has significantly developed them, he does not update the default airways and/or terminal waypoints, nor does he update all approaches be they default or addon. I believe some of Herves updates only cover limited parts of the world whereas fsaerodata is truly global.

The last time I checked Herve explicitly states that his updates actually break airways and can lead to complete non functioning of AI and flightplanning within the sim?

Depending on your individual use case, Herve's updates may or may not provide you with what you specifically need, and if they do great :)

However, fsaerodata is the only fully global complete navdata addon I am aware of...

Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

No I dont believe it is the same at all.

I have used Herves updates in the past and unless he has significantly developed them, he does not update the default airways and/or terminal waypoints, nor does he update all approaches be they default or addon. I believe some of Herves updates only cover limited parts of the world whereas fsaerodata is truly global.

The last time I checked Herve explicitly states that his updates actually break airways and can lead to complete non functioning of AI and flightplanning within the sim?

Depending on your individual use case, Herve's updates may or may not provide you with what you specifically need, and if they do great :)

However, fsaerodata is the only fully global complete navdata addon I am aware of...

Cheers K

Thanks Kevin, think I will take the plunge then. Do you know if I have to remove Herves updates first ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

From what I've been reading, it appears to work with Herve's magnetic variation updates, so there shouldn't be any reason to remove those, if installed. I haven't tried it myself, though, but this product looks very interesting.

• Upvote 1

I just gave it a try tonight. So far, it works VERY well. It does integrate directly into even the default flight planner (the update data is used if you auto-generate a flight plan) and other software like Plan-G or Little Navmap that read directly from sim data work perfectly with it as well.

Just purchased a 12 month sub. Great addition. Thanks to Kevin for the heads up.

From what I've been reading, it appears to work with Herve's magnetic variation updates, so there shouldn't be any reason to remove those, if installed. I haven't tried it myself, though, but this product looks very interesting.

Leave Herve's magvar updates intact.

Thanks Kevin, think I will take the plunge then. Do you know if I have to remove Herves updates first ?

I asked that same question on the fsAerodata official forum. The response was they recommended uninstalling Herve's updates (except magvar) but only because they hadn't personally tested an install of fsAerodata with any setup except default sims. I left Herve's stuff installed and I haven't seen any issues with fsAerodata.

Also I have no stake in the addon except being a user.

I asked that same question on the fsAerodata official forum. The response was they recommended uninstalling Herve's updates (except magvar) but only because they hadn't personally tested an install of fsAerodata with any setup except default sims. I left Herve's stuff installed and I haven't seen any issues with fsAerodata.

Thanks Jay. Good to know.

Leave Herve's magvar updates intact.

Er...that's what I said.

Now we need gps developers to make their instruments read P3D nav database ))

Dirk

Just in case anyone is too time poor to visit the website, here's a list of features in fsAerodata: (bold are what I think is NOT contained in Herve Sors updates, from a quick website comparison)

Worldwide update of flight simulator navigation database including the following elements: 

• Navaids: VORs, DME, NDB, TACAN, Enroute and Terminal Waypoints, (update identification IDs, frequency, coordinates, magnetic variation).

• ILS stations: only frequency is updated; no other data is updated, to assure compatibility with default runways.

• Obsolete Navaids are disabled.

Instrument Approaches, including SIDs and STARs procedures.

Airways Routes, including High and Low altitude airways.  (Herve Sors is only Europe)

Access to SIDs & STARs procedures on default GPS navigation unit (only Prepar3D).

• Update of Runway designators.

• Simulation of TACAN facilities (only Prepar3D).

Air Traffic Control (ATC): Selection and aircraft vectoring of final approaches based on updated database.

• Capability to succesfully execute real world routes.

NEW on AIRAC 1701: Update of Airport Comm Frequencies worldwide.

Chime in if I've made any errors here! :P

Now we need gps developers to make their instruments read P3D nav database ))

Dirk

A post on Flight 1's website is in order I think!  Good idea...although the default GPS units already can show this updated data in P3D...

• Upvote 1

xaP1VAU.png