Sign in to follow this  
wizzards

win7 64bit pro and i7700k

hello I have a unused win 7 64 bit Pro OEM disk ,and as I am about to build a new PC based on a intel i7700k with an Asus MB,from what I have read this is difficult or maybe impossible to install ,I have searched the subject on Google but I dont seem to find much information,maybe not asking the right question,so has anyone built a win7 64 bit Pro OP system and using a i7700K cpu,

many thanks

Peter

hello I have a unused win 7 64 bit Pro OEM disk

It's not what you asked but...

Strictly, an OEM disc is assigned only to the computer you originally installed it on.

However... MS have no issue with you "upgrading" that PC.

In my experience though, if yoiu build a new PC, all  that will happen is that when you come to activate windows, it will either do so immediately, or you'll be prompted to ring Microsoft's automated phone line. When you do, you can activate in the normal way.

Sometimes you will find a live rep on the phone and if you explain you have dismantled the old PC and are installing the OS on a new self built one, they are usually okay with that.

So strictly speaking is not allowed, but in practice, all they usually worry about is that it's only installed on one PC.

I assume he meant "never activated".   Don't know, heard something about intel drivers maybe not released but haven't had the need to run down the "facts".  However, ISTM that if you have an unused license, just install it and skip activation (I think you have 30 days?) and see what happens.

scott s.

I suspect the OP may have been referring to the usb driver issues when installing Win 7 on boards with the 170 or newer chipset, where a usb mouse or keyboard will not work for the install.

If that is the case, it's not a great problem. If you are using an Asus board the necessary information is on the Asus website, but involves creating a new install disk incorporating the necessary drivers. If you do not yet have the board, then a much simpler installation is available with the mid to high end MSI boards. These have an entry available in the BIOS which allows the usb mouse and keyboard to be recognised.

I can confirm that Win 7 installation is very straightforward on the MSI boards.

John B

My response is an opinion.  I wouldn't consider to not installing W10 with Skylake and above.  W7 with Skylake and above risk driver incompatibilities i.e. sound, USB, and others.  I wouldn't even put the homework into understanding the memory instruction differences (if any) and who knows what else.  I simply would not shoehorn a W7 system into a modern processor period.  It just isn't worth any potential headaches to me, and there isn't upside to me in putting so much effort and work into retaining a W7 system. imho W10-Pro is my favorite OS to date and the only recommended OS for Skylake and above.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Does anyone know if my Win7 key can still be converted to a Win10 key? I'll be going 7700K soon

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Does anyone know if my Win7 key can still be converted to a Win10 key? I'll be going 7700K soon

Last week it worked with an OEM key

I run the Sim with W7 , think Its more stable less issiues.

If you lock at Jays bench testing , the best OS for Cinebench is W7

Overclocking most stable OS for Skylake and KabyLake W7

KabyLake lake OC better or ar more Stable on Z170 , but over time it gone be better or equal with z270.

The tings that make it more unstable ar the sata and usb as usual.

thanks for the reply's most helpful,the fact that I have been quite happily using the win 10 64bit free MS update for 12 mth,s,and have found it to be very stable, I now think it,s best to shell out £140 for a new win 10 OEM pro disk,I really dont want self induced hassle and after spending around £750 on new i7700k CPU/Asus z270 Hero MB/16GB 3200 G Skill RAM I just want it all to work,and then O/C to 5ghz,install P3d and off flying again

thanks for your replys

Peter