Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

Palm Springs to Big Bear on PilotEdge

Did a hop from KPSP to L35 on Pilotedge.  Video has some choppiness in it I need to work on but for my first full recorded flight, I'll take it.  

• Upvote 1

Nice video - just one question. I've flown the Catherdral 1 from KPSP a couple of times on Pilots Edge, noticed you shortened it considerably by turning to YUCCA prior to reaching PSP VOR. The SID narrative says route PSP VOR 104 radial to EMRUD,  is it allowed to truncate the SID once above the MEA/MCA?

Not a criticism, a genuine question, I did all my RW flying in Europe, where the rules are a little different.

I was impressed with the Pilatus and the GTN750...

Eugene

Thanks for the comments Eugene.  It's kind of nice knowing someone actually watched the video.  I also uploaded one just after from Big Bear to San Diego.

I usually program the airway after the first PSP in my gtn flight plan as I'm always above the MEA by the time I hit it.  I overlooked it and programmed the airway after the second PSP (when you put the DP into the GTN PSP is there twice).  Since I made that little booboo, I just activated my next leg and cut the corner.  It's a sharp corner so if you wait till you hit PSP you'll have a daisy of a turn to get back on the airway.  As long as you are above the MEA you can just turn at PSP and call it a day.  

Excellent question though, I'm very glad you asked.  Seems like you have a pretty good handle on your departure procedures.   

Nice vid :)

Regarding cutting the corner, the only reference on CATH1 to MEA is once you've done the full swing back via the 104 radial, and for that specific SID it is common to get specific instructions whilst airborne to allow you to cut the corner, but given the controller was talking to another aircraft it wasn't the case here.  The giveaway is that the whole 104 radial and then back round via the 124 radial section is below the gap in the text instructions, it is therefore the only transition section, and you should always expect to fly one takeoff section (with runway numbers) and one transition section (with transition names, or just the bottom half if only one transition exists).

There is no such provision in the US that allows you to leave the horizontal path of a SID once above MEA unless you get specific instructions from the controller, reach the termination of the SID or if it explicitly refers to an altitude above which you may proceed on course.  It's likely that the reason the controller didn't say anything is that by the time he looked back to you, you were where you would have ended up anyway and they may not have noticed the shortcut (or decided life's too short).

There is such an option for diverse departures, but it's not relevant here.

I appreciate that info Penguin.  It appears I've misunderstood this departure procedure.  I've flown it many times on pilotedge and have never been called out on it so I figured I was doing it right.  They are usually good about correcting someone when they goof up.  

I'll have to start adding my airway after the second PSP in the DP and leave it that way.  

See, this is why I love Avsim.   I literally learn something every time I'm on here!!

Thanks again Penguin!!!