Sign in to follow this  
DavidV935

Are .air or .mdl files interchangeable?

Like thousands of others, I've downloaded aircraft from the Library to get favorite liveries only to discover the aircraft doesn't perform as well as desired like slow climb or can't achieve or maintain a reasonable desired airspeed. I downloaded a Project Airbus A321 base file and a couple liveries to go with it, but it can't climb beyond FL180 and maintain a reasonable airspeed. I've been using a vertical speed of 1800fpm and speedhold set at 300 IAS. The max altitude I can achieve is FL250 with VS down to 1000 fpm before the aircraft is virtual stall mode. At that time, I have to level off to prevent the stall. N1 never goes above 87% and airspeed is down to around 200 IAS. What I'm wondering is if I could import the model file and model.cfg plus the .air file from the FSX default A321 into the Project Airbus A321? Does anyone know if the problem is with .air file of is the problem a setting in the aircraft.cfg file? Thanks.

Something between the .air file and PEIPC (problem exists in pilot chair). Heavily loaded aircraft (near MTOW), even modern ones like the A321 will struggle in the higher 20s. Getting up to the 30s will take some time. Most, if not all, of the default aircraft are ridiculously overpowered to make flying easier for Average Joe.

And yes, you can exchange aircraft.cfgs and .air files as long as you retain any section directly referring to model geometry ([fltsim.x], [contact_points], [lights], [effects]).

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

You can try the airfile as a test.

The model has nothing to do with flight performance, but only the "looks" of the airplane.

The aircraft.cfg file may also be involved.. so you will have to experiment a little.. keep backups!  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Bert

David,

Are you flying on VATSIM with FSX when this happens and if so are you using VATSIM weather?  If the answer to both is yes, there is a bug in FSX when using VATSIM weather.  The Outside Air Temperature stays at around 50 degrees F and your aircraft can no longer achieve lift.

If you answered yes, try disabling VATSIM weather and using FSX real weather or an addon weather engine like ASN, REX, OPUS, etc instead of VATSIM weather.  I think you will find the PA321 works great then.

If you answer was "no" to both questions then I'm at a loss to explain because I use it in FSX and it performs flawlessly.

Randy

• Upvote 1

I have had no problems with either the default or 3rd party Project Airbus aircraft achieving proper altitudes or speeds,

such as KIAS  or MACH.  Do you have the Pitot Tube Heat on?  This becomes critical at the higher altitudes.  With

fuller fuel loads, step climbing to altitude will give you a better chance or reaching your goal.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for your inputs, guys!   :smile:  Will try the easiest one first...NO to question about flying on VATSIM; I use the FSX real weather updates; and I don't remember if I had pitot tube heat on or not, so will pay attention to that tonight.Will save backups and see what switching the .air does.

does FSX real weather updates still work?

Yes, off and on at times! :wink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

test. I added both the airfile of the Carenado King Air into the default Beechcraft King Air. Flies beautifully.