I am getting a new computer with a 7700k CPU and a Titan X Pascal Card.  I wanted to run a 4K TV as my main monitor.  I was thinking of 42".   My question is if I put a 42" monitor on my desk, then the top of the TV is a foot over my head.  Assume I use the standard view of top 1/2 is looking out cockpit, and bottom 1/2 is my instruments, I will be looking up to see where I am going.  Is that good?? Is 42" too big?  What is the perfect monitor size?

Paul Gugliotta

I have 43" Vizio 4K TV for my monitor and love it. I had two 24" monitors side by side previously and like the single large monitor much better.  It does take some getting used to because it sort of feels like you're sitting in the front row at a movie theater and you can't really see the entire screen at the same time.

I would highly recommend getting Display Fusion.  https://www.displayfusion.com/  It will allow you to set up virtual monitors.  For example, I have mine set up as two 1920x2160 virtual monitors so when I click to maximize a window it only takes up half the screen. You can also add a button to ignore the split and have a window go full screen across the entire monitor.  Display Fusion does many other things that really help with large monitors.

Also consider getting f.lux.  https://www.displayfusion.com/  It also takes some getting used to, but will save your eyes at night.  Large monitor gives off  a lot of bright light at night.

I personally would not go larger than 43".

Assume I use the standard view of top 1/2 is looking out cockpit, and bottom 1/2 is my instruments, I will be looking up to see where I am going. Is that good??

From my experience and reading about ergonomic seating,

looking up for any length of time is not good for your neck.

YMMV of course.

Also looking above the horizontal to see the ground does seem very realistic to me.

You might consider a lower height desk if you have problems.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

A lower desk is not feasible because my yoke mounts to the desk.  I may look into 36" instead??

Paul Gugliotta

Also looking above the horizontal to see the ground does seem very realistic to me.

Opps.. meant to say "does not seem very realistic"

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I went to Bestbuy and measured some 43"4K uhdtvs. They are 22" high. My eve level is 19" above my desk. So if I sit the tv right on the desk, I should be good.

Paul Gugliotta

I went to Bestbuy and measured some 43"4K uhdtvs. They are 22" high. My eve level is 19" above my desk. So if I sit the tv right on the desk, I should be good.

Great, looks like the height will not be a problem then.

I'm sure you will be impressed with the views.

gb.