Sign in to follow this  
Bandselect

Troubleshooting Windows 10 - Where to Begin?

Recently my dedicated FSX rig with W10 has been sluggish. When I right click on the Windows icon I do not have the windows options popup menu show and right clicking on the screen works intermittently. In addition, when I launch command prompt or almost any system window the window "draws" very slowly (I don't see the contents until waiting for five minutes) and the response to commands like SFC /scannow is very slow.

Is there a recommended guide for how to systematically diagnose Windows? I see lots of info on the web of course, but has anyone a guide on how to troubleshoot methodically?

Thanks.

Scott Robinson

Hi Bandselect,

Sounds like your Windows is indeed in some trouble. Maybe file corruption, a virus or even a hard disk on the way out. One really good source for Windows 10 issues is www.tenforums.com. A very well laid out and informative site and the support over there is second to none. I suggest giving as much detail about your issues over there, someone is bound to help you track down the problem.

The sfc /scannow command is a good place to start but I'm guessing it reported no integrity issues.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Something additonal you can check... and which solved the same problem for me was turning off the background Windows Update function.  Instead of the processor, it causes problems with other programs access to the hard disk. To check for this, open Resource Manager, select Disk, look for TiWorker and see what percentage it's using of the disk (read/write).  Under the Processes column you'll see the program as Widows Modules Installer Worker, and under the Disk Column I believe you'll see it as TiWorker or it will be associated with one of the svchost programs.

Here is a great article about TiWorker causing PCs to really slow down.  Blocking Windows 10 Update solved it for me.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you DaveCT2003 - I'll look into that. I can clear the problem in diagnostic mode startup, so in my tweaking of startup services I'll test TiWorker.

Scott Robinson

It was Asus AISuite3. I isolated it through msconfig and selecting services to turn-on/off. I never use it so unistalling was a no brainer. I think the conflict developed with the most recent W10 update.

Thanks all for the assist!

Scott Robinson

Great to hear you found and resolved it!

Best wishes for happy flights!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Crtl-Alt-Delete go into task manager top righthand tab services there you can see which programs run on windows startup, you can disable programs you do not need on startup eg auto update on installed programs freeing some memory.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg