Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Top three addons for new user?

Hi all-

Will be installing XP11 when I get of work tonight. Any suggestions for 'must have' addons?

I've been a long time P3D guy and thought I would try something different.

Thanks!

Mark

I forgot what you like from P3D.

But my GA suggestions (not a lot of addons are fully compatible with 11 yet):

Aerobask Epic Victory personal jet (mostly working in 11)

http://www.aerobask.com/epic_victory.php

LES Saab 340 (NOT working in XP11 yet - free "quick" patch to come along with available paid big update)

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/take-command-saab-340a-p-100

DDENN Challenger jet (working pretty well in 11)

http://store.x-plane.org/Bombardier-Challenger-300-Captain-Edition_p_80.html

Oh hehe, I guess those are all faster GA aircraft.  If you want singles look at Carenado or vFlyteAir.  REP does an addon pack for a few of the Carenados (the T210 and Bonanza BE33 I think - I don't have them though)

http://store-x-plane-org.3dcartstores.com/Carenado-Sale_c_293.html

http://store-x-plane-org.3dcartstores.com/vFlyteAir_c_175.html

Also I hear Dan's Kodiak (he does the work for converting Carenado FSX to XP) is a really nice aircraft.  Not sure if it works in 11 yet.

http://store.x-plane.org/Kodiak-Quest-G1000-_p_534.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Any weather/terrain/airport suggestions ala AS or Orbx?

Resist any temptation to purchase anything weather related until at least XP11 leaves beta. Likely you'll receive contrary advice here from others, but that's my honest recommendation.

Terrain is all freeware / donationware. Search HD Mesh. The data in XP11 mesh is newer, but the HD Mesh (and / or UHD Mesh) is higher resolution. You can also search out World2XPlane for 'roll your own' OSM derived building placement, or W2XP for a pre-compiled version.

Airports are largely freeware / donationware as well, but there are some amazing payware GA strips available too, such as from Beti-X. I'm not really any help for airports meant for bigger stuff, because I don't fly it usually. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Since you are a new user the top 3 add-ons for XP 11 are:

xEnviro

xEnviro

xEnviro

Watch some you tube videos with and without this weather add-on and judge for yourself.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Mark, get X-Camera, it's donation ware and a fantastic camera system for X-Plane. If you used and enjoyed EZdoc, you'll love X-Camera. For airports look for MisterX at the .org download library.

If you like photoscenery, look for a program called Ortho4XP, freeware.

• Upvote 1

For flight planning, check out the donationware Plan-G planner. It doesn't do SIDs and STARs, but for everything else it's a great GA flight planner that can export plans to use in the default GPS or FMC. It can also link to X-Plane using the free XPUIPC interface to act as a moving map. It's a better moving map than X-Plane's built-in map because you can scroll outside the currently loaded scenery tile. 

The current version has to be used with the old XP10 database file (which you'll have along with XP10 if you bought the XP11 full beta), but it will be updated soon to use the new XP11 data. I haven't had any trouble so far, using the old XP10 data in XP11 with Plan-G.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Mark, get X-Camera, it's donation ware and a fantastic camera system for X-Plane. If you used and enjoyed EZdoc, you'll love X-Camera. For airports look for MisterX at the .org download library.

If you like photoscenery, look for a program called Ortho4XP, freeware.

Thanks Michel-

Just got home and ran XP11 and got a crash. Sim is unusable right now. So, can't move forward with anything at this point.

Pretty disappointing. Don't remember P3D doing this on the very first run.

Cheers,

Mark

Just got home and ran XP11 and got a crash. Sim is unusable right now. So, can't move forward with anything at this point.

Pretty disappointing. Don't remember P3D doing this on the very first run.

Remember this is a beta version, not a final release. Post your system details and maybe someone can help. Or just wait for the final release and fly XP10 for now.

You can also help Laminar squash bugs by posting a bug report on the crash with your log file. Details here:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Remember this is a beta version, not a final release.

I understand that.

Beta or no, I don't think it's unreasonable for any app, beta or not, to run on the first trial.

Chaseplane is in alpha and runs exceptionally well.

I understand that.

Beta or no, I don't think it's unreasonable for any app, beta or not, to run on the first trial.

Chaseplane isn't even remotely comparable. It's an add-on for a program where the underlying code is 10 years old.  A completely stable and unchanging FS engine (even if it's getting a bit creaky at this point) is a 3rd party developer's dream.

X-Plane is not just under continuing development but it also supports Mac, Windows, and Linux. Crashes are not a big deal with a beta at this stage. Just report it, and wait for the next version.

That's how a beta works. This is something FSX/P3D pilots are not used to -- a flight sim that is continually improving under the hood, with everything that implies.

• Upvote 1

I understand that.

XP11 has crashed a few times for me...  it's in beta... I'm not surprised.  Right now the FMS isn't working for me and I've got blue tinted sky colors when flying at night sometimes.

For starters, try looking at the Log.txt file.  It's in your root XP11 install location.  Scroll through it, usually at the bottom something will tell the tale of what happened.  I understand your frustration... again, let's start with the Log file.

edit:  Nevermind I see your other thread.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Resist any temptation to purchase anything weather related until at least XP11 leaves beta. Likely you'll receive contrary advice here from others, but that's my honest recommendation.

Mine too, though for me, it's not so much resistance as it is patiently waiting.   I think it's more about learning to handle the C172 at this point.  To add to the honest opinion here, you'll do more flying than tweaking, like it was in P3D. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit