Sign in to follow this  
be77solo

Hidden setting to make all aircraft in XP11 smoke less?

Greetings all!

Now that XP11PB8 runs much better framerate wise than the previous builds on my machine, I am spending more time with it.

One thing that I've seen mentioned and able to be fixed in the planemaker is the engine smoke of the default C172.

My question is, every aircraft smokes way too much in my opinion, both stock and now when I add 3rd party planes.  The engines smoke much much more in XP11 than compared to XP10.  

Unless there are burnt valves or rings, or the turbines have taken a step back to 1950, is there a general setting/dataref etc that can tone it down across the board?

Seems silly, and I'm reluctant to go through and start monkeying with every plane in planemaker.

Thanks! 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Right now the only way to change it (AFAIK) is by copying every individual .acf plane file and changing the smoke setting on the Engine menu in PlaneMaker, then saving it out. It's not something set in a dataref that applies universally. Which is a good thing, if you think about it. If I'm flying a vintage Cub or a DC-3, then I might want some heavy smoke effects. 

I haven't changed it on any of my plane models for now, because I don't know if the current degree of default smoke will be the same when XP11 goes final. No point in having to do it all over again if it changes.

Ok, not a big deal by any account, was just curious if there was a quick tweak.  I do agree, engine smoke on the proper plane is awesome, but I think it's fair to say they have everything exaggerated in XP11 currently.  Even the included heli looks silly with all the smoke ha.

I have always enjoyed the engine "heat effects" though in the XP series.

Thanks for the input!  Will watch and see what they change (if anything) in the final build.

It's not a hard thing to do with Plane Maker and allows you to play around to get smoke on takeoff which clears at altitude without taking away the heat visualization.

John

It's super simple  :smile: I agree that not only is the smoke overdone, but the effect simply looks bad IMO. It doesn't look like real smoke, more like little grey poofs being expelled from the engine. I've turned it off on all of my planes, even the classics with smokey JT8 engines, because it's such an eyesore 

UxooDx4.png

NqoXmEe.png

uaczbVh.png

qDvEY9a.png

fba6sXy.png

• Upvote 1

It's not a hard thing to do with Plane Maker and allows you to play around to get smoke on takeoff which clears at altitude without taking away the heat visualization.

John

True, but it's definitely overdone by default in XP11, and unfortunately, when you open certain 3rd Party planes in Plane Maker, you "break" them.  This is well documented with the REP addon that I LOVE for the Carenado planes in particular, once opened in Plane Maker all hell breaks loose.  Plus, most 3rd party devs don't want us messing with their files.

It's super simple  :smile: I agree that not only is the smoke overdone, but the effect simply looks bad IMO. It doesn't look like real smoke, more like little grey poofs being expelled from the engine. I've turned it off on all of my planes, even the classics with smokey JT8 engines, because it's such an eyesore 

UxooDx4.png

NqoXmEe.png

uaczbVh.png

qDvEY9a.png

fba6sXy.png

Beautiful tutorial for stock aircraft!

Now, if only Austin saw things the same......

Beautiful tutorial for stock aircraft!

This works for add-ons as well. I have most of the big payware airliners and quite a few assorted GA planes, and I've been able to use this technique with no problems at all. I'm not sure why such a simple fix would mess up the REP planes. Maybe you could try a fresh install of the plane, remove its smoke, and only after that install the REP package.