Sign in to follow this  
bartbmxgamer

Overclocked CPU to 5.0 GHz but no FPS increase?

I built a new pc last week and was looking to play Flight Simulator X on high settings. Specs:
MoBo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 3G
RAM: HyperX Fury 16 GB DIMM DDR4-2666 2 x 8 GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
CPU is liquid cooled by a Corsair H55 and the case has 6 extra fans excluding the GPU and power supply fans.
I cranked all settings in FSX to maximum and created myself a 'worst case scenario' (creating all the situations that would require the most of my system) and got 14-22 fps.
I decided to increase the clock rate from 4.2 GHz to 5.0 GHz and tweaked the fsx config file and created the same scenario in-game, but got exactly the same amount of fps.
I've made the following enhancements to the config file:
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84
[bufferpools]
Poolsize=39000000
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
[Display]
WideViewAspect=True
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
HideInfoText=1
[sCENERY]
SmallPartRejectRadius=3.0

Of course there are settings to decrease but overclocking the pc should help increase the fps, so I'm trying to test this using the same scenario at all times. When it helps, I'll tweak my FSX settings to get exactly the performance I want.

I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out. Thanks in advance.

Your GPU (video card) is your bottleneck.

edit: I've got a similar system with a gtx 1080. I'm not using FSX anymore but in P3D my only limiting factor these days, seems to be the 32 bit OOM.

I have to turn things down on high altitude flights to avoid running out of memory.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

What resolution and AA settings are you using?  A 3GB 1060 is a fairly weak video card relative to the CPU...if you're running high resolutions and/or high AA (e.g. 4x SGSS) you may well be GPU-constrained.  If turning down the AA or removing clouds from the equation gets you an FPS bump, then you're most likely being held back by the GPU.

Also, what latency (CAS) is your RAM?  Slower RAM with low latency (e.g.2666 @ CAS 13) RAM is OK, but slower memory with high latency (higher CAS settings) leaves the CPU idling longer waiting for memory fetches, so throughput won't increase much if the CPU is overrunning its memory bandwidth.  2666 @ CAS 15, for example, would be pretty slow for an overclocked 7700K--over 18% slower than 3200@15 or 3600@16 which is more the norm for a clocked 7700K.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello,

My computer is quite the same, just that I have 6700k@4.5Ghz and GTX 1060 6GB. I have done some research but just now that I know this GPU can get bottleneck when using FSX. Is it possible? I have asked if upgrading to GTX 1070 or 1080 worth it and almost everybody say no for FSX.

I'm little bit confused now. Here is my nvidiainspector setting

RjPrtTP.jpg

Cheers.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

i upgraded my 660 superclocked (GTX NVIDIA ) to a NVIDIA GTX 1080 and left my CPU clocked at 4.0GHZ and had a jump of frames of about 20% thats not 20 frames but 20% jump of what i was getting. I dont see P3D of FSX using more than 4.0GHZ and a 1080 to get anymore FPS. You kinda have to play with different GHZ and fit it to the best and then upgrade you Graphic card. No bottlenecking here  

What resolution and AA settings are you using? A 3GB 1060 is a fairly weak video card relative to the CPU...if you're running high resolutions and/or high AA (e.g. 4x SGSS) you may well be GPU-constrained. If turning down the AA or removing clouds from the equation gets you an FPS bump, then you're most likely being held back by the GPU.

I changed AA from 8xS [Combined 1xSS and 4xMS] to 4x Multisampling, and put the cloud settings to minimum and it didn't add a single fps.

Also, what latency (CAS) is your RAM?

CAS Latency (CL): 15.0 clocks

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 17 Clocks

(from CPU-Z).

So if I want to increase my fps, should I upgrade my RAM? Thanks for helping!

no youre ram is fine considering the sim is a 32 bit and can only use 4GB. I say you need to fnd your settings in your sim and then match it up 

no youre ram is fine considering the sim is a 32 bit and can only use 4GB. I say you need to fnd your settings in your sim and then match it up 

No, the issue is not the *amount* of RAM, but the speed of the memory.

@bartbmxgamer--what I'd do is try overclocking the memory you have now to see if it helps.  If overclocking your RAM results in an FPS bump, then you know it's a limiting factor.  If you can't get the memory to run faster, you can also try *under*clocking it down 10-15% to see if it causes a drop in frames. 

@Hoang--8x SGSS is a very aggressive AA setting for a 1060.  A higher end video card in FSX is not usually helpful, except, as in your case, when using aggressive AA (or high resolutions).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

@Hoang--8x SGSS is a very aggressive AA setting for a 1060.

He's not using SGSS according to the NI.  Just SS which is a bit easier on the system though still high.

I've learned over the years that's its an absolute waste of money to buy super high-end components for a simulator built on 2006 technology.  There are major limitations in the code that will not take advantage of what you throw at it.  There is nothing wrong with your system.  Reduce your settings and enjoy your flight.  :smile:

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

If you're running FSX: SE, you can omit the AffinityMask and BufferPools tweaks. FSX:SE does it all for you. Same goes for Highmemfix. This was made unnecessary to do, because it was implemented into the sim without the need to tweak the config file.

The Texture_Bandwidth_Mult setting only works if you are limiting your framerate. Otherwise FSX ignores it.

You don't really need the SmallPartRejectRadius these days. Maybe back pre-SP1 where GPUs were weak. It essentially says don't render anything smaller than 3 pixels (default is 4).

Performance wise, you've got the latest CPU on the market and even my old i7 2600K is fast enough to feed my GPU draw calls. I personally believe you are GPU bound. Specifically shader bound, because FSX needs a certain amount of shaders to work with at any one time and your GPU doesn't have enough. I'm in the same boat. 

Go into your FSX folder and right click on FSX.EXE and see if you can select which video card to run it on.