Sign in to follow this  
ray123

FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate

Hi everybody!

For everyone who is thinking about switching flightsims I'd like to share my experience with all of these.

First started with the boxed Fsx off course. Then made the jump to Steam because it should perform a little better.

The only thing I noticed was faster menus and Highmemfix already built in.

But a lot of addons didn't work in SE and still OOMs...

Made the switch to P3D v3...

Looks a bit better. Especially the Hdr mode and built in Lod Radius.

But The smoothness is terrible. A lot of stutters. 30fps, unlimited, nothing worked to solve this.

Then I get extremely blurred textures. Even when I paused the simulator to load.

Now I'm back to FSX Boxed with all my addons and smoothness. With the dx10 fixer off course. Runs so good!

So I hope I can help some people and my advice is to stay with FSX (or FSX SE if you don't have any addons).

Happy flying!

• Upvote 1

Hi everybody!

For everyone who is thinking about switching flightsims I'd like to share my experience with all of these.

First started with the boxed Fsx off course. Then made the jump to Steam because it should perform a little better.

The only thing I noticed was faster menus and Highmemfix already built in.

But a lot of addons didn't work in SE and still OOMs...

Made the switch to P3D v3...

Looks a bit better. Especially the Hdr mode and built in Lod Radius.

But The smoothness is terrible. A lot of stutters. 30fps, unlimited, nothing worked to solve this.

Then I get extremely blurred textures. Even when I paused the simulator to load.

Now I'm back to FSX Boxed with all my addons and smoothness. With the dx10 fixer off course. Runs so good!

So I hope I can help some people and my advice is to stay with FSX (or FSX SE if you don't have any addons).

Happy flying!

Hi, thanks for sharing.

I went for FSX:SE and pretty much happy with it. Look at the pictures and videos of P3D V3 make me want to try it, but people keep having trouble with it, various troubles. Meanwhile in FSX:SE we already know the "common" problems, which P3D also have in addition to its own.

So for now, I still stick with FSX:SE, try to purchase products that one time buy includes both FSX:SE/P3D, and looking forward to 64bit simulation.

The price of P3D, and the way LM charges for the update versions (v1/2/3), I don't like it.

Cheers!

Hoang Le

• Upvote 1

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Then made the jump to Steam because it should perform a little better. The only thing I noticed was faster menus and Highmemfix already built in. But a lot of addons didn't work in SE and still OOMs...

Whilst I've heard that there are still some add-ons that don't work with FSX:SE, I definitely wouldn't say that there are "a lot" that don't (certainly amongst the commercial offerings). Which ones are you referring to? I have a good selection of A2A, RealAir, JustFlight, Milviz, Active Sky and REX add-ons (to name just a few and all non-Steam variants) and have yet to have any compatibility problems.

Also, FSX:SE claims to reduce OOMs, not eliminate them.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

This would turn into another "my toy is better" discussion, I fear.

In opposite to the TO opinion, I have to say, that I'm more than glad to have changed to P3D.

It isn't just the HDR, you have also (far better) VC shadows, cloud shadows, terrain shadows and at least for stronger systems reflections.

Beside eye candy, there are absolute no tweaks necessary in P3D and I remember very good how unstable FSX was back then. This is also a thing of the past with rock stable P3D. And it performs much, much better and fluider.

So far I do not miss any addons beside AES and some german airports (which work with simmerhome patches more or less). All others have been made available for P3D already.

But that is only my opinion.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I am also considering about this.

RIght now I am flying FSX:SE with my system as Intel X5672 @3.2GHz(4C8T), GTX 1070, 8GB RAM.

When I fly PMDG 777, the FPS falls to 10-15 in the airport.

Now I want to build another PC with i7-7700K, still previous GTX 1070, and 16GB RAM.

Which one could be better for me? sticking with FSX:SE or shifting to P3D v3 ?

Can I feel improvement in performance by such upgrade?

Thanks for any suggestion.(cause I still have some time to make my final decision on the hardware setting)

Iching Lee from Taiwan

This would turn into another "my toy is better" discussion, I fear.

In opposite to the TO opinion, I have to say, that I'm more than glad to have changed to P3D.

It isn't just the HDR, you have also (far better) VC shadows, cloud shadows, terrain shadows and at least for stronger systems reflections.

Beside eye candy, there are absolute no tweaks necessary in P3D and I remember very good how unstable FSX was back then. This is also a thing of the past with rock stable P3D. And it performs much, much better and fluider.

So far I do not miss any addons beside AES and some german airports (which work with simmerhome patches more or less). All others have been made available for P3D already.

But that is only my opinion.

It's definitely more beautiful then FSX but my framerates were jumping all over the place. Even without addons and low settings. And to make things worse I'd get verry blurred textures...

In FSX I'm flying with the orbx package and a lot of addons with all sliders wide open. 30fps and smooth like butter.

Maybe it's my hardware. Not the fastest but also not the worst I think:

AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.64Ghz

AMD Radeon R200 / HD 7900 3GB

8GB dd3 RAM

I made the switch from FSX Aceleration to P3D nearly two years ago and never regretted it. It just suits my system, which is getting old now. I run ALL my FSX aircraft in the latest version without any problems (some date back to FS9!) - and with 60 fps average. If anyone is thinking of P3D, why not just get a month's subs to try it at $9.95? (I don't work for LM!)

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I made the switch from FSX Aceleration to P3D nearly two years ago and never regretted it. It just suits my system, which is getting old now. I run ALL my FSX aircraft in the latest version without any problems (some date back to FS9!) - and with 60 fps average. If anyone is thinking of P3D, why not just get a month's subs to try it at $9.95? (I don't work for LM!)

Hi,

Really want to try it, but to know how it performs the most on my system I need to run it with PMDG aircrafts (or FSL), and they all do not have demo or trial. My system runs FSX:SE with the complex sceneries and high settings very well, just when using those aircrafts that make the system struggle.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

P3D v3 has one enhancement that separates if from FSXA and FSXSE for me - Optimize Parts. This has materially improved the FPS for me with several complex aircraft I use.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

How do you guys get P3D smooth? I don't get it. With 1/2 refresh rate or something?

I really liked the way it looked. I am missing it already in FSX... but smooth frames now.

The stuttering I could live with, but since I installed orbx global my textures wouldn't load. They stayed blurred. Even when I paused the sim  :sad:

I don't know what add-on problems you had with FSX-SE, because all of mine run perfectly -- except AES -- at least they all did once updates for GSX and Active Sky came out (which was pretty fast).

For many add-ons using SimConnect you need to install the FSX versions of SimConnect, but that's easy enough and already done if you have or had FSX installed beforehand.

The main problems most had were to do with installation. This is no problem for new FSX-SE users without a previous FSX installation as FSX-SE looks like FSX in every way that an installer looks for. 

I find FSX-SE significantly faster and smoother in the sort of use I put it to -- no fancy add-on aircraft, no panels on screen, just scenery, and plenty of AI Traffic at busy complex airports.

P3D has gradually got better, but I still find it too jerky and less smooth than FSX-SE as well as rather slower FPS wise. Additionally the anti-aliassing is terrible unless you set all sorts of options for it which slow it down further.

For airliner flying, airport to airport, eye candy like shadows are really not so important. Just good performance and smoothness with busy airports and with typically cloudy British skies! ;-)

Pete

• Upvote 3

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hi all,

I have read several topics about FSX/P3D in the past few days, both here and at PMDG General Forum. What I found out that many members when they have bad experience with FSX, they move directly to P3D and see lots of improvements. Which I believed they skipped FSX:SE, which also had many improvements over FSX.

So if you are using FSX, do not hestitate and try FSX:SE, it is very cheap compare to P3D and you can use your FSX addons and use it in FSX:SE. The only addon that I miss so much when using FSX:SE is AES. But with GSX and SODE jetways now I think it is very good for normal using.

For airliner flying, airport to airport, eye candy like shadows are really not so important. Just good performance and smoothness with busy airports and with typically cloudy British skies! ;-)

Pete

Just recently when I read somewhere says about VC shadow that I realized FSX:SE does not have it. I never really care about that the entire time because I was focusing on flying the aircraft and the smoothness of the sim. In fact I turn off the ground shadow to boost some performance.

Cheers.
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

I moved over to P3D almost exclusively maybe 18 months ago, and was not disappointed, especially with the ability to leverage improvements in hardware--particularly dual GPUs in DX11. With a 30Hz monitor and a pair of 980Ti GPUs in SLI, I get the best smoothness I've ever had, even in heavy clouds, at a steady 30fps--and that on a 55" 4K display. I have never been able to achieve anything close to that in FSX (or FSX:SE). The ability to roll into a turn in P3D and not see massive scenery popping as I do in FSX is also a huge plus. TBH, I never saw any meaningful improvement in FSX:SE performance over a well-tweaked boxed FSX install. Some of the other improvements in P3D--e.g. volumetric clouds, have been nice, too.

That said, I just rebuilt my primary flight sim PC, and I installed more or less parallel FSX (boxed) and P3Dv3 sim universes on separate SSDs, mostly because there are a few planes and destinations I miss that never made the trip to P3D. So it's mostly P3D, with the ability to jump into FSX and get in a few intercepts in the VRS F-18, or take a trip to Stuttgart in the MD-11 if I want.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Here's what I think:

Ford is better that Chevy

Sofia is better looking that Gina

Lamborghini is better than Ferrari

Coke is better than Pepsi

No controversy there..........

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

FSX DX10 does have HDR. SP2 did add VC shadows, although only for default aircraft, not add-ons. Cloud, autogen, and VC shadows for add-on aircraft can be added with DX10 fixer. FSX also has terrain shadows.