Sign in to follow this  
ray123

FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate

FSX DX10 does have HDR. SP2 did add VC shadows, although only for default aircraft, not add-ons. Cloud, autogen, and VC shadows for add-on aircraft can be added with DX10 fixer. FSX also has terrain shadows.

FSX doesn't have HDR like P3D does. And also no cloud shadows. VC shadows yes, but only with the dx10 fixer

FSX doesn't have HDR like P3D does. And also no cloud shadows. VC shadows yes, but only with the dx10 fixer

Steve's dx10 fixer has had a plug in for a while now that gives you cloud shadows. Purchased it myself.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Steve's dx10 fixer has had a plug in for a while now that gives you cloud shadows. Purchased it myself.

Steve's DX10 cloud shadow add-on is highly recommended and works well with no noticeable performance hit.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It's not tweakable in game like P3D, but it's still there in the shader files which you can edit how strong the HDR lighting should be. P3D makes it easy with sliders, but they accomplish the same thing.

Cloud shadows and VC shadows exist for addons with the DX10 fixer.

If you don't have any addons, VC shadows do exist for default aircraft, but not add-ons. The FSX SP2 notes state it is possible. They didn't mention how to enable them in the notes.

No cloud shadows unless with DX10 fixer.

XP11.

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, not part of this FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate at all. :Shame On You: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Ryan, not part of this FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate at all. :Shame On You:

Sure it is.  I offered another solid solution.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

XP11.

If there was a good combined AI/ATC solution for it, yes. At the moment, even none of the default or third party payware options seem to be as good as what MSFS has to offer in that department.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

The OP asked for a pro/con discussion of the various MSFS-based options...please, let's stick to that topic and not turn it into another FS vs XP flame war.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

How do you guys get P3D smooth? I don't get it. With 1/2 refresh rate or something?

I really liked the way it looked. I am missing it already in FSX... but smooth frames now.

The stuttering I could live with, but since I installed orbx global my textures wouldn't load. They stayed blurred. Even when I paused the sim  :sad:

You cant run P3d unlimited with ORBX scenery, it will blur. You have to have your settings adjusted to keep it just above 30fps and set 30fps frame rate in sim.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Here's what I think:

Ford is better that Chevy

Sofia is better looking that Gina

Lamborghini is better than Ferrari

Coke is better than Pepsi

No controversy there..........

No controversy there..........?

I have to, politely, disagree with #4. :Shame On You: 

JimE

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

I have to, politely, disagree with #4.

Ut-oh.  Now you've done it.  Run for cover!   That's the one thing sure to unite us all on one of two sides and spark off a war such as flight sim as never seen!  Kind of like... "hey, hold my beer and watch what happens when I pull this here pin...."

LOL!!!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If we all had exactly the same PC setup, and exactly the same flight sim budget, then this kind of debate would have merit.  But since we all have different rigs and budgets, just use whatever works best for your situation.  

Cheers

TJ

TJ, that's the best & most important thing I've seen on this forum, so far!!

:hi: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...