Sign in to follow this  
ray123

FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate

I spent thousands of dollars on addons and some of the older airport sceneries are not compatible with fsx dx10, or p3d. I am sticking with fsx steam although the not that steep PMDG price for p3d looks tempting to finally move up. Last year I moved up to fsx steam and am happy it has a little better memory management than boxed fsx. soon RealityXp releases a gns package compatible on steam and that is the last important addon not compatible with steam

soon RealityXp releases a gns package compatible on steam

and

Geesh too right. I've been waiting so dang long to get my RealAir planes back with decent gns or gtn units in steam edition. Nothing compared to my gns 530w back in the day flying around the Andes in fog at night using the terrain view to keep me 'alive'

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Ut-oh.  Now you've done it.  Run for cover!   That's the one thing sure to unite us all on one of two sides and spark off a war such as flight sim as never seen!  Kind of like... "hey, hold my beer and watch what happens when I pull this here pin...."

LOL!!!

I don't care if he doesn't like #4 as that's just a matter of taste (pun intended). But the war will really escalate if anyone messes with #2 as that's a matter of fact..........Doug

Ford is better that Chevy

Sofia is better looking that Gina

Lamborghini is better than Ferrari

Coke is better than Pepsi

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I don't care if he doesn't like #4 as that's just a matter of taste (pun intended). But the war will really escalate if anyone messes with #2 as that's a matter of fact..........Doug

Ford is better that Chevy

Sofia is better looking that Gina

Lamborghini is better than Ferrari

Coke is better than Pepsi

I also disagree with #4. RC Cola is better than either one! Goes good with a Moonpie!

#2...is that Sofia Loren vs Gina Lolabridgida or Sofia Vigara vs Gina Carano?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

XP11.

"FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate"

Here is an example off one guy hijacking and destroying interesting forum post.

It is a modern etiquette that one has to take a moment and see what's going on before messing it up.

I am still holding on to box FSX with DX10 fixer.

With the modern hardware it does very well with excellent cockpit  and cloud shadows.

And all the planes that I like to fly working.

It is extremely expendable platform with so many customize add-ons that you cannot compare to anything at this moment.

I give you a few examples.

WildlifeX

Worldwide ships traffic.

Worldwide fires.

And so on and so on.

I do have to admit that it took a lot of adjusting but for many it is actually enjoyable to tweak it and make it work well,

Happy landings.

mike

• Upvote 1

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

I also disagree with #4. RC Cola is better than either one! Goes good with a Moonpie!

#2...is that Sofia Loren vs Gina Lolabridgida or Sofia Vigara vs Gina Carano?

Sofia Villani Scicolone and Luigina Lollobrigida. But there's no contest.....the old folks win every time.....or is it just that my age is showing.....

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Bear in mind that FSX & FSX:SE's development is frozen.. no more updates, service packs etc.

P3D is constantly being updated, probably 10x as compared to FSX/FSX:SE.

Yes, FSX& FSX:SE are still getting a huge amount of add-ons.. But still, an engine that is about 8 years old by now.

Yes, I know that P3D is also based on the same engine, but has obviously moves far away from the others, and also with a 64bit version in the future. (beta's are out there with certain dev's!)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Bear in mind that FSX & FSX:SE's development is frozen.. no more updates, service packs etc.

P3D is constantly being updated, probably 10x as compared to FSX/FSX:SE.

Yes, FSX& FSX:SE are still getting a huge amount of add-ons.. But still, an engine that is about 8 years old by now.

FSX may not, technically, have had any updates since FSX:SE was released but many add-ons have effectively updated/upgraded it with features which were previously considered unlikely or impossible (cloud shadows, for example). A2A, PMDG and many others continue to push the boundaries of what is possible for FSX and, as long as these innovators continue to support it, FSX still has some miles left in the tank.

P3D may look better out of the box and, for some, perform slightly better, but it doesn't have any killer features which would lure someone away from a well set up installation of FSX/FSX:SE, particularly one that's been improved with premium add-ons. Plus, each major P3D upgrade effectively involves re-buying the sim and then waiting to see if your add-ons will still work. Far from being a disadvantage, the frozen development of FSX gives manufacturers a known base to build on.

A 64bit sim is likely to involve starting from scratch with add-ons and, as X-Plane has already shown, isn't necessarily going to attract the users and developers that FSX has. As a developer, if you have a significant FSX (or P3D) user-base, are you going to make a big investment in a new sim which may or may not sell well? It's a real Catch 22 - if it doesn't sell well no one will want to develop for it but, without the development, it probably won't sell well!

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

FSX may not, technically, have had any updates since FSX:SE was released but many add-ons have effectively updated/upgraded it with features which were previously considered unlikely or impossible (cloud shadows, for example). A2A and PMDG continue to push the boundaries of what is possible for FSX and, as long as these innovators continue to support it, FSX still has some miles left in the tank.

I agree, BUT it has taken FSX 11 years to get where it is now.

Are we expecting a new sim to be launched & immediately eclipse FSX?

Yup, a real catch 22 situation. What does a developer do? Continue with FSX, P3D or DTG's eventual release. Then what about P3D's 64 bit? Will they mod their existing releases to fit into something new? Or develop from scratch, an add-on optimised for whatever sim?

As we say here in South Africa... ' Aish!!' - which means basically sounding out an !, combined with 'now what'  (& #####) all in one exclamation. (if that makes sense) :Big Grin:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thank goodness someone else knows a good drink when they taste it. RC Cola is WAAYYY better then coke or pepsi.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thank goodness someone else knows a good drink when they taste it. RC Cola is WAAYYY better then coke or pepsi.

Yes, but only if one consumes it with a Moon Pie.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It all comes down to money. After I wrote my previous message on this topic I had a chance to finally update to P3D when buying the PMDG 747. I went with the FSX version. I have cut my flight sim budget the past 2 years and have stuck with FSX boxed until last year, brand new Windows 10 Professional install and installed FSX steam. Most of my OOM problems are gone. I just need lower sliders for autogen, water, traffic. I could go DX10 for FSX but that includes additional costs I'd rather put my limited budget towards new aircraft and scenery. If I had an extra 1000 dollars I'd budget 500 to upgrading my motherboard and cpu and the other 500 for P3D and my favorite aircraft for P3D licenses which are not cheap. PMDG, A2A charge a lot more for a P3D license. If you have money to spend, go P3D. If not, go FSX Steam. You can find FSX on Steam sales for 5 dollars many months.

Not entirely true that there'll definitely be no further development on FSX of any kind. Dovetail have said that - should it prove necessary - they would further tweak things in FSX-SE, which is understandable, since they are still selling it, and gaining revenue from it via add-on sales too, so if it needed a tweak to keep that money rolling in, they'd obviously do that. Doesn't mean they actually will tweak anything further of course, but doesn't mean they won't either.

It's also worth noting that Dovetail's Flight School was released last year, and that is essentially a further souped-up version of FSX-SE with changes to ATC, some new/improved default aeroplanes (Piper Cub, Piper PA-28 Cherokee and Diamond DA42 Twin Star), plus a revised interface (not a million miles away from AeroFly FS2's in appearance) and a whole bunch of lessons in there. More pertinently perhaps, Flight School provides some clues as to where Dovetail might be going with a new sim they have in the works, but in the meantime there is no denying that the aeroplanes in Flight School do look great and it runs what is essentailly a variation of FSX at pretty good frame rates when you crank everything up. Here's a couple of screenies from Flight School which make the FSX connection apparent:

FS5_zpsfteaktin.png

FSc%202017-02-08%2010-53-28-03_zps71tasi

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Worldwide ships traffic.

What's "Worldwide ships traffic" ?

Not the same as "Global AI Ship Traffic" by Henrik Nielsen ?

Cause if it is, that's compatible with P3D, I have it up and running.

It's also worth noting that Dovetail's Flight School was released last year, and that is essentially a further souped-up version of FSX-SE with changes to ATC, some new/improved default aeroplanes (Piper Cub, Piper PA-28 Cherokee and Diamond DA42 Twin Star), plus a revised interface (not a million miles away from AeroFly FS2's in appearance) and a whole bunch of lessons in there.

BUT... a 'closed' sim as such. As there are, and will be no add-ons for this, it can hardly be said it's a souped up version of FSX. Yes, it uses the same engine, BUT it was developed as a Flight School sim only. Not upgradable, nor compatible with anything.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...