Sign in to follow this  
ray123

FSX/FSX SE/P3D Debate

Updated P3D and changed some settings and have it running smoother now! I lowered some settings and have set fps to unlimited with vsync and triple buffering.

Some microstutters here and there but a lot better then before! :D

Comparing flight simulators is like comparing the mobile phone market you may well say iPhone is a better product but which has the largest market share, fsx may well be old software I`ve done fs7-8-9 and now ten fsx  and a flight sim industry was built around it, this site may not have existed but for Microsoft flight simulator. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I am still a big fan of FSX. But now I'm definitely switching to P3D. It looks just so much better and the menus are so much faster. First I was not so sure about it but now I even removed FSX from my PC. That says it all ;)

It looks just so much better and the menus are so much faster.

First time I've ever heard someone say that the menus were faster. I can say that I've never experienced menu lag in FSX. Mine always open and close right away. I never knew that menu lag was an issue for some people in FSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am still a big fan of FSX. But now I'm definitely switching to P3D. It looks just so much better and the menus are so much faster. First I was not so sure about it but now I even removed FSX from my PC. That says it all ;)

Almost the same situation here. :smile:

I use P3D for about three-four months now and... don't want to go back. And I was among those most suspicious ones...

I just haven't find the strength to remove FSX still. And I also fear what if P3D broke up at some point. Unrepairable. :Nail Biting:

Also, I have a months of work to migrate (I just copy/paste them for now, you know.. for safety sake) those of whom I love the most from FSX to P3D. Most of them work just fine.

Regarding "faster menus" I believe it is possible but only because we still have much less addons than we used to in FSX. Not sure is that the only reason but when I want to select new plane (or whatever other vehicle. yes, even avatar now ;)) selection window comes up A LOT faster than in FSX.

Actually.. one of the reason I find flying in FSX less and less enjoyable was just that, I have to spend so much time waiting damn window to just show up.

Yeah, maybe it's cause I got much much more add on scenery, about 700 planes, ~70 hellys, ~120 cars and exactly 350 boats in FSX and only about 1/4 of that number now in P3D but I guess we'll never find out the whole truth ...cause I have no intention to have a such numbers in P3D now.

Less is better, sometimes. Like in this case.

It's definitely more beautiful then FSX but my framerates were jumping all over the place. Even without addons and low settings. And to make things worse I'd get verry blurred textures...

In FSX I'm flying with the orbx package and a lot of addons with all sliders wide open. 30fps and smooth like butter.

Maybe it's my hardware. Not the fastest but also not the worst I think:

AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.64Ghz

AMD Radeon R200 / HD 7900 3GB

8GB dd3 RAM

Hi Ray,

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but I would start with your AMD processor as it just doesn't have the single threaded power of an appropriate Intel CPU and has never been a good choice for FSX/P3D, not even close.

I know... But I was on a small budget and didn't know if the flying addiction would came back. I bought the whole system for 150 euros :)

I'm now looking for a second hand system with i5 or i7 and Nvidia. But much more expensive.

But it runs very good now with the Orbx package and standard planes. Now let's see how it handles the pmdg ;)

I just flew a short flight with the 737 NGX and all I can say is... WOW  :dance:

In FSX I had about 20fps if I was lucky. Now 30-40 and it looks a lot better too!!