Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Braking sensitivity

Hi all-

What's up with the 'look at the toe brake and have the GA violently swerve in that direction'? I've Googled this and found 'it's realistic' to 'no, it's not'.

I'm in the second camp :>)

Saitek Combat rudder pedals are in use. Hate to keep referring to P3d and aircraft.cfgs but I gotta do it. Brake sensitivity can be modified here in about 2 minutes. Although I've never had to do it because braking was smoothly and proportional, that is, the more you pressed, the more braking you got.

Any help for the newbie here?

Mark

I am not sure, but I get "the more I press, the more I brake" just fine with my pedals. Output the DATA for brakes to screen, then see the value change from 0 to 1 as you apply brakes.

This may help you troubleshooting any brake-problems you have.

X-Plane provides sensitivity settings for the major flight controls - aileron, rudder, elevator - but not in the traditional FSX/P3D sense, where you can limit the deflection of the flight control. In X-Plane you will ALWAYS get 100% deflection for 100% input. But you can tune the response curve from "linear" to "exponential". This will give you less deflection at small inputs, but then they will rapidly grow later at higher inputs so you get 100% back at 100% deflection.

This is not available for brakes and throttle, though.

Jan

• Upvote 1

I am not sure, but I get "the more I press, the more I brake" just fine with my pedals. Output the DATA for brakes to screen, then see the value change from 0 to 1 as you apply brakes.

This may help you troubleshooting any brake-problems you have.

X-Plane provides sensitivity settings for the major flight controls - aileron, rudder, elevator - but not in the traditional FSX/P3D sense, where you can limit the deflection of the flight control. In X-Plane you will ALWAYS get 100% deflection for 100% input. But you can tune the response curve from "linear" to "exponential". This will give you less deflection at small inputs, but then they will rapidly grow later at higher inputs so you get 100% back at 100% deflection.

This is not available for brakes and throttle, though.

Jan

It really needs to be available for brakes as well. The toe brakes on my rudder set work, but as the original poster said, they're way too sensitive, and zero adjustment just doesn't make any sense. I have to hand out neck collars before every flight.

It's an "axis", no different than "pitch, yaw, roll", give us the same sensitivity control. I wouldn't give it high priority right now though, but in the future, it should be there. Any "axis" should have sensitivity settings, somewhere. And yes, a Saitek throttle quadrant for instance, are "axis" as well, but I really don't see the need for sensitivity adjustments for say throttle, mixture, prop. Unless, you want to use those axis for something else, if which case they should have a sensitivity control.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Thanks. I agree regarding the brake axis adjustment.  

As I mentioned, if I breathe on those toe brakes, the 172, Baron and KingAir will jump instantly in that direction. If I can't find a GA aircraft that I don't have to fight constantly prior to takeoff, that's a deal breaker for me. Smooth and proportional braking in P3d.

Thanks,

Mark

• Upvote 1

Have you guys filed a bug/request for that? That is the only way to get heard at Laminar - they don´t read this (or any) forums at all...

Jan

Have you guys filed a bug/request for that? That is the only way to get heard at Laminar - they don´t read this (or any) forums at all...

Jan

I haven't, I probably should, lazy on my part. Like I said, it's not a issue that I put high priority on right now, but it's definitely something that needs addressing. Taxiing, turning/braking is a challenge at the best of times, and it shouldn't be. Throw in some "moderate" cross wind, and it becomes a whole other issue.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I can confirm that Laminar is NOT aware that brake sensitivity is a problem or a "sensitivity" slider is desired by the community.

Jan

I can confirm that Laminar is NOT aware that brake sensitivity is a problem or a "sensitivity" slider is desired by the community.

Jan

Ok, I'll submit a feature request today, unless the original poster would like to do it, they did initially raise the concern. I'll wait a bit to see what they say.

Hi Muskoka-

I'm taking a break from all this for a while and going back to P3d; everything works :>)

Go ahead and file a report. I'll check back in the future and see what's up.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Muskoka-

I'm taking a break from all this for a while and going back to P3d; everything works :>)

Go ahead and file a report. I'll check back in the future and see what's up.

Cheers,

Mark

Ok Mark, thanks for letting me know. I'll do it today. 

Glen

Request has been sent, see what happens. 

• Upvote 1

And it NEVER hurts to file another bug/request - even if the same issue was already reported by someone else. It they receive one request for something and 500 requests for something else - what do you think will they work on first? :wink:

So it is absolutely irrelevant if someone else filed something already, if two people are bothered by something, two people should file.

Never assume that Laminar MUST already know about XYZ - more often than not nobody told them (I thought you did - no, I thought you did...)

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 2