Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Question about Installing P3D

Hello - Just got a new computer with a 256 GB SSD and a 2 TB Hard Drive. Today I installed P3D along with FTX Global UTX Canada, USA, and Europe, Mytraffic, etc, and I am now realizing I am starting to run out of space on my SSD, have about 40gb left. P3d just seemed to install on the SSD by default. Is this my best bet? Also, can I start installing addons and scenery to the E drive (non SSD) and will this work? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hi Pete,

Yes, you can install all other addons onto the 2TB disc with no problems. Just make sure to change the instal directory right at the beginning when running the installer program.

I suggest you make a P3D folder on your E drive and then install all further addons in sub folders into this folder.

Also, you can set Windows to use a My Documents folder on E:\ instead of C:\ . Same with default download folder. Doing this will help prevent your C:\ from slowly filling up. Also, set your email data folders to be on E. this is easy to do in Microsoft Outlook, sure the same with others.

Keep in mind too that an SSD's performance is negatively affected (or so I am lead to believe) if it gets too full. Try to keep a couple GB clear. It needs some free space to be able to operate at optimal speed.

And yes, you do want to install Windows and P3D onto your SSD.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks Greg, I have X-Plane on the SSD as well so I'll create a directory for P3D and XPL on the E drive.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot