Sign in to follow this  
Johan_Dees

My almost $1000 screw-up.

Guest glnflwrs

OK, I've written here about how we pilot types are generally smarter than the average bear but I'll have to exclude myself for a while and here's why. Oh, I wouldn't admit this to anyone but you guys here at AVSIM.Last year we got my wife an Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. Nice but underpowered IMHO. Anyway, I've always done the routine maint on our vehicles and the Hyundai was no different. I'd already performed two oil/filter changes and it was due again. I got my boxend and filter wrench and wriggled underneath. Pulled the drain plug and got about 2-1/2 qts out of it, another 3/4 qt from the filter. Strange, only 3-1/4 qts drained out. Not that unusual though.I poured in five qts new oil and she was ready. The wife put on 10000 miles and it was time again. I got underneath, pulled the plug and nothing. No oil drained out. I pulled the dipstick and it read above the full mark, but not way above, a half qt maybe.I sat and mulled over why nothing was draining. I got the owner's manual and started searching. Well, I found it. 10000 miles ago I had drained all the gear oil from her transfer case and put five qts of oil in on top of a full crankcase. She drove it like that, with no gear lubrication for 10000 miles and evidently no harm.I ran down and bought the 90w oil and refilled her gear box. I then drained 10 qts of motor oil from the engine, replaced her filter, and replaced the oil.WHAT A PUTZ!! Why didn't I realize what I was doing? Just add 2+2 and I should have figured out why only 2-1/2 qts drained out. Anyway, Cudos for the Santa Fe and a Bronx cheer for me.Glenn"If God would have wanted man to fly He would have given him more money"

WOW. So you had 8 quarts in the crankcase and nothing in the transfercase. Neat. By transfer case you mean the standard transmission or is it part time 4 - WD?They sure build them well. Just wondering is 10,000 miles the recomended OCI? Do you use dino or synthetic?JimCYWG

Guest glnflwrs

Jim, I had TEN qts of 20w-50 Castrol GT in the engine.(V6) Castrol GT is not a synth but is a very good oil. The OCI per Hyundai is 25000 miles with a synth oil and 15000 with regular oil. I implemented the 10000 mile interval. I'm used to the old days and a 3000 OCI. The Santa Fe has full time all wheel drive, a four speed automatic and overdrive. The trans uses ATF. The transfer gear box sends power from the trans to all four wheels and uses 90w gear oil, approx 2-1/2 qts. I bought a magnetic drain plug for the gear box and have checked it twice and no telltale iron residuals. Hyundai makes a tough little SUV.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter." Glenn Flowers

Guest EasyEd

Hey All,Wow! This is amazing! I don't know what else to say.That trani ran quiet for 10,000 miles on no lubrication!Your wife heard or felt nothing (no vibration no metal noises)?You wrote "Strange, only 3-1/4 qts drained out. Not that unusual though." How can this not be unusual? Does the Santa Fe burn a lot (like a quart and a half) of oil per change? Almost ten quarts in a five quart engine and no gasquet issues or anything else!?! 10,000 miles between oil changes? Most new vehicles want less than 5,000.If your dealer is a Flight Simmer (and reads this) - you may have warranty issues!I'd say you were extremely lucky!Although I have to admit my wife did something sorta similar before I knew her. She bought a new off the showroom floor 84 Honda Accord. Drove it and figured it was time for an oil change - took it to the dealer and it got it's first ever oil change at 16,000 miles. She said she was kinda embarassed. We still have that car (it's the spare when something else is broke or won't start) and it has 241,000 miles on it and still doesn't burn a drop of oil and still gives 30 miles to the gallon. The body is rustin out though.On the lighter side you may qualify for a Darwin honorable mention.Take Care! -Ed-

Guest glnflwrs

Ed, The car ran like a new car. No noise, no smell, nothing. A friend said I was lucky I didn't blow some oil seals with that much oil, but he is under the false impression that more oil equals more oil pressure. Not so. There were no leaks or smoking at all. When I said 3-1/2 qts, not that unusual I meant that some cars do use oil and getting only 3-1/2 from where I put in five is something I have experienced, although not from a new car. Darwin award? Let's not. All the guys at AVSIM razzin' me? OK.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter."

Guest Tim__757

Yup, the SF IS a tough little SUV.....does a good job hauling my dogs (Bernese Mt Dog named Kirby and a Standard Poodle named "airbus").If you haven't found it go up to the Santa Fe forum and read all the fun (and not so fun) things other owners have done to their SF's.I don't have the url here on the laptop(today is a flying day), sorry about that but if you google it I'm sure you will find it.Tim__757(Someday I'll tell ya how I backed a King Air into a partially open hanger door.....tad over $1000 mistake)

Guest glnflwrs

Tim__757, Our SF is a dog hauler, too. We have two Dauschands and two Beagles. Dioge (dee-o-gee), Ashley, Sally, and Duke. Hounds all of them. Dogs are just people in furry suits.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter."

It's funny Glenn. The dozen or so people who I have told this story to don't believe me. They say that it is all bull. The thing is , it has to be true. You have nothing to gain by it not being so. People sure are funny. Some actually think it is me when I tell them.JimCYWG

Guest glnflwrs

Jim, Yeah, I like to tell lies especially about me screwing up. Chicks like that kinda thing. I swear and my wife will also that everything I confessed above is true. The wife had the car into the dealer yesterday to have the scheduled inspection and they gave it a clean bill, (except new tires needed). We didn't mention my genius though. Why people can't believe what others say is no mystery but it is sad that some feel you can't trust anything not proven. I feel I trust anyone until proven different, with some exceptions.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter."

Guest LahaskaFlyer

Hi, just to mention some detroit iron, i have a 2000 ford E150 V8 with 145,000 miles. i change the engine oil every 6 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes last. jack wilsonDell8300,Pent.R4,CPU 3.0 Ghz,XP-Pro,1.00 GB of Ram,256MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT,SB Audigy,Dell 19" Monitor,Cable Modem,CH Yoke-Pedals

Guest glnflwrs

Jack, I, too, am partial, (partial?) hell I love good ole' American iron. I bought a 1991 Dakota LXE new in 7/91. 318, 4 speed auto w/OD, 9500 pound tow package, and all the internal comforts. I now have 217000 miles on the original engine, get 16-19 mpg, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I've changed oil when I thought it felt sticky and have used Castrol GT 20w-50 exclusively. Still runs like it was new. I can chirp the tires shifting into 2nd. I'll be driving that truck for ten more years with a long block in a year or two, maybe.Glenn"When a man learns how much he doesn't know compared to how much there is to learn, he starts getting smarter."