Sign in to follow this  
zippo2glide

Earth Simulations Alderney Problem

Hi All,
I have run into a major problem with this scenery addon, which was a download from ES prior to their demise. I aslo have ES Guernsey. Both worked beautifully until now.
My hardrive has suffered a malfunction (loud clunk in the cabinet) and a number of files were lost/corrupted, including my ESI pack backups of Alderney & Guernsey. However, I did find another backup folder (I think I made), which included all the ES directories for the Channel Islands, airports and what appears to be a backup of the FSX files it replaced.
To cut a long story short, I can get ES Alderney working like it used to, except the autogen seems to be inconsistent as follows:-

Hard Winter (Jan.) - about 10% autogen - few houses & trees in a snowy landscape

Winter (Feb) - as Jan but autumn/fall land colours (no snow)
           (Mar) - almost max autogen - spring land colours

Spring (Apr & May) - as Mar
           (Jun) - about 40% autogen - spring land colours

Summer (Jul & Aug) - as Jun
              ( Sep) - as Jun but autumn/fall land colours

Autumn/Fall (Oct & Nov) - as Sep
                    (Dec) - as Feb.

There doesn't seem to be any environment sounds audible but I have seen boats and ferry and an animated paraglider on the eastern cliffs.
Does this indicate any specific issues and can they be remedied?
I will check Guernsey to see if the same anomalies occur.
All help gratefully received.

I have now checked ES Guernsey and in all cases there is plenty of autogen (trees & buildings). Furthermore, the months show the expected photoscenery land colours associated with the seasons, namely:-

Hard Winter (Jan) - slight snow covering

Winter (Dec, & Feb) - no snow but no greenery other than evergreen trees

Spring (Mar, Apr & May) - lots of vivid greenery

Summer (June, July & Aug) - more yellowy greens and beiges

Autumn/Fall (Sep, Oct & Nov) - more browns and yellows

There are plenty of environmental sounds - waves breaking, birds & gulls calling.

Hope this helps anyone who may have some ideas, as I am now even more confused why this should be.

Cheers

May I suggest that you contact Tony Meredith at Arm computers he has the necessary rights over all ES products and info to put you right

http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/index.html

Hi Captain Bligh,

Many thanks for the response and link.

I don't seem to be able to see his contact details on the site.

Do you have a current email address you can pm me or know where I can find it?

Cheers

Zippo

Do you have the ES compatability files installed and did you keep a backup of the Autogen folder?

Do you have any Orbx stuff installed and was it disabled / uninstalled during installation of Alderney?

I ran foul of this (oversight) recently during a disk change on my computer. Guernsey was all installed with airport, photoscenery, churches, lighthouses and greenhouses, but no trees or houses. In Orbx settings I switched off Northern Ireland and then re-instated and voila - problem solved. Crackers!

Gordon

Do you have the ES compatability files installed and did you keep a backup of the Autogen folder?

Do you have any Orbx stuff installed and was it disabled / uninstalled during installation of Alderney?

I ran foul of this (oversight) recently during a disk change on my computer. Guernsey was all installed with airport, photoscenery, churches, lighthouses and greenhouses, but no trees or houses. In Orbx settings I switched off Northern Ireland and then re-instated and voila - problem solved. Crackers!

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the post

Yes to ES compatibility files and autogen backup folder

Never had Orbx.

Strange thing is Alderney and Guernsey folders/files were both located in the same ES-CI folder backup folder I created - Guernsey is fine & Alderney is not.

Only other software related to UK is UK2000 airfields (CI not covered I believe) and UTX+GEX Europe: ES CI folders in top positions in library in order defined by ES.

Cheers

Zippo

Hmmm .... Don't know what to suggest now. I have had issues with UTX maybe worth investigating that.

Do you have more than one backup of the autogen files? Again may be worth trying earlier / later autogen descriptions

Sorry not to be more helpful

Gordon

Just had another thought.... There is an additional ES-3D file outside of the Channel islands folder and I put this above others in the scenery library although if Guernsey is OK I think it maybe OK.

I am guessing a re-install of Alderney from scratch is looming.... perhaps a corrupt installation is the cause

G

Hmmm .... Don't know what to suggest now. I have had issues with UTX maybe worth investigating that.

I'll give that a go.

Do you have more than one backup of the autogen files? Again may be worth trying earlier / later autogen descriptions

Only have the one autogen backup, because these backup files were saved on a seperate drive to the one that failed and corrupted/lost my ESI packs.

Sorry not to be more helpful

Gordon

Just had another thought.... There is an additional ES-3D file outside of the Channel islands folder and I put this above others in the scenery library although if Guernsey is OK I think it maybe OK.

Yes I have the ES-3D & ES-SFX files/folders.

I am guessing a re-install of Alderney from scratch is looming.... perhaps a corrupt installation is the cause

That's my problem - no options for a re-install (see response above).

I'm not bothered too much about the loss of the payment for the scenery - I just love the scenery and don't like the idea of losing that forever.

G

Many thanks. Zippo

Hi All,

Having conversed with Tony Meredith, it appears the only solution is a re-install.

There are Playsims/Horizon DVD versions of this software still available on the internet, so I may have to go down this path.

Many thanks to all that participated by trying to assisst me in solving my problem.

Regards

Zippo