Sign in to follow this  

Any Tips on Landing the 777?

Hello! So I got the 777 and 77W expansion a year ago and have been flying it every day but the area I have so much trouble with is landing with the autothrottle on. Every time I try to land my speed goes way below vref even when I set it about 10 knots above, expecting this behavior; and then I see 3 reds on the PAPIs and I have to turn off the autothrottle and set max power to climb out of that situation. I understand in a situation like this in real life it would be a go around no questions asked but when I am stabilized on final I turn off the auto pilot and hand fly it with tiny corrections following the flight director, but then as I am pulling all the way back on my yoke to catch up with the FD my speed gets dangerously low. Now I know I could just trim to get the pitch up but the auto throttle does not seem to do a good job of keeping the speed where I need it.

Sorry if this seems like a noob question but in all other areas of this beautiful aircraft I have nearly mastered. Definitely very excited to get to know the 747-400 as my grandfather used to fly the -100, -200, and -SP versions.

when I am stabilized on final I turn off the auto pilot and hand fly it with tiny corrections following the flight director,

but then as I am pulling all the way back on my yoke to catch up with the FD

"tiny corrections" is very different from "pulling all the way back"

Peter Schluter

Sorry that definitely sounded quite a bit confusing, this would happen later in the approach when it starts to get more and more unstable. Once I turn the autopilot off I am making small corrections, but because either the pitch axis is not sensitive or the auto throttle is not catching up later in the approach that is when I am pulling all the way back with my yoke and that barely translates into the plane when trying to land.

Sorry that definitely sounded quite a bit confusing, this would happen later in the approach when it starts to get more and more unstable. Once I turn the autopilot off I am making small corrections, but because either the pitch axis is not sensitive or the auto throttle is not catching up later in the approach that is when I am pulling all the way back with my yoke and that barely translates into the plane when trying to land.

Hi Seaniez,

It sounds like your throttle control is not set up properly -- perhaps too big a null zone followed by a sudden, jerky response once you reach the end of the null zone.

Also, what mode is the autothrottle in, as indicated on the FMA?  A/T mode is upper left of PFD.

Mike

PS: PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I believe the modes of the autothrotle is affected if the autopilot is turned off in approach. I believe it is a Boeing "feature". Most airlines I believe have a autothrotle off if autopilot off SOP

It is only in FLCH that the A/T will not "wake-up". Boeing quite rightly point out that FLCH (during descent) is an idle thrust mode and it should not be used on final approach. The Asiana crash was caused by this (among other) bad practice.

A/P off= A/T off is indeed part of many airlines SOP for a number of reasons. More critical on a/c like the 737/767/757 where "pitch coupling" would be an issue, but on the 777 due to FBW systems it is not going against Boeing recommendations to land manually while using autothrottle.

Peter Schluter

It is only in FLCH that the A/T will not "wake-up". Boeing quite rightly point out that FLCH (during descent) is an idle thrust mode and it should not be used on final approach. The Asiana crash was caused by this (among other) bad practice.

A/P off= A/T off is indeed part of many airlines SOP for a number of reasons. More critical on a/c like the 737/767/757 where "pitch coupling" would be an issue, but on the 777 due to FBW systems it is not going against Boeing recommendations to land manually while using autothrottle.

Thanks for that concise and understandable answer...with reasons....it has helped put some confusions I had into more understanding.

Harry Woodrow

Hi Seaniez,

It sounds like your throttle control is not set up properly -- perhaps too big a null zone followed by a sudden, jerky response once you reach the end of the null zone.

Also, what mode is the autothrottle in, as indicated on the FMA?  A/T mode is upper left of PFD.

Mike

PS: PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

In my FSX settings I checked on the null zones for my yoke and throttle and the sliders were all the way left. As for A/T mode it says SPD in the top left and FLCH mode is not turned on, I just have it on my normal A/T mode selected.

But for example: If I have a way point for final that says 4000A, this would mean at or above. I usually tend do be "At" the assigned altitude because if I am above, this bird would be pretty hard to slow down so I usually tend to be slightly lower. But this does not mean the A/T should not be able to climb the ~50'-70' or so to get back up.

EDIT: Also, could somebody please tell me how to sign my name at the bottom? Thanks.

Sure sounds like over controlling.  Very common among students.  Practice and settle down, but you have to concentrate and not focus on one thing like speed or LOC/GS needles.  Fly trends, it is okay to be fast if you are slowing down, or high if  you are trending towards the GS.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

In my FSX settings I checked on the null zones for my yoke and throttle and the sliders were all the way left. As for A/T mode it says SPD in the top left and FLCH mode is not turned on, I just have it on my normal A/T mode selected.

But for example: If I have a way point for final that says 4000A, this would mean at or above. I usually tend do be "At" the assigned altitude because if I am above, this bird would be pretty hard to slow down so I usually tend to be slightly lower. But this does not mean the A/T should not be able to climb the ~50'-70' or so to get back up.

EDIT: Also, could somebody please tell me how to sign my name at the bottom? Thanks.

Nothing wrong with being "at" the at-or-above altitude for the reason you give. 

How do you have your throttle control set up - "Always", "In Hold Mode Only" or "Never"?  If "always" it is possible your throttle control is overriding the autothrottle settings,possibly by sending spikes.  Also it's helpful to have "Show Throttle Lever Position" checked.  However in "Always" you can give your throttles a little kick if the speed starts to get too low.

Click on your name upper right to enter profile, then Edit My Profile then Signature.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2