Sign in to follow this  
hasse29

A small download suggestion

I live in China, and to not offfend anyone, I can say that Internet connection here is not top quality. I am often having big problems with download center. I would like a solution where I can use a download manager of some kind to download files. I understand that there are not so many customers here, so it's not a top priority. But at least I am a good customer (look at me bragging and kiss a**) and would like an alternative. Last month it took me one month to download a livery to 777 as an example..

avsim library has also liveries for all aircraft available  but the operations center already functions as a download manager. 

avsim library has also liveries for all aircraft available  but the operations center already functions as a download manager. 

Problem is that it's starts from beginning if it fails, instead of continuing there it got interrupted. And it's not only liveries that is the problem, product updates also.

I

A quick Google search listed several download managers available for free. Here's an example:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-download-manager-1328199

I'm not recommending this or any other download manager because I don't use any.

All the best.

I think he means the PMDG liveries which are only available via their own operations center. He wants the ability to use a 3rd party download manager, such as the ones you suggested.

I also think part of the reason to only make them available via the PMDG ops centre is to stop pirates using PMDG created liveries.

I hadn't noticed the PMDG context! But despite that omission, he might still benefit from the use of a freeware or payware download manager. Hope some of what's available is of help to him.

I hadn't noticed the PMDG context! But despite that omission, he might still benefit from the use of a freeware or payware download manager. Hope some of what's available is of help to him.

Yes, I use download manager i general, and must use it when I download products from PMDG site. Else I would never be able to fly those airplanes. I also know that it's popular among pirates, but not all people are pirates. Chinese Internet is perfect as long as the server is in China, else it's crap. I Like FSDreamteams products, but I can't access their website without VPN. I bought video lessons before about 777, but was unable to view them until I paid extra money so I could download them to my computer. To be honest, sometimes it's easier to buy the product, and after go to a pirate website to download it. In general I don't like it since it often contains virus and other ######, but there are moments then I don't have any other options (although I don't use anything I haven't paid for). If PMDG is able to further develop their own download manager so it can handle interrupted downloads, I am fully satisfied.

Yes, I use download manager i general, and must use it when I download products from PMDG site. Else I would never be able to fly those airplanes. I also know that it's popular among pirates, but not all people are pirates. Chinese Internet is perfect as long as the server is in China, else it's crap. I Like FSDreamteams products, but I can't access their website without VPN. I bought video lessons before about 777, but was unable to view them until I paid extra money so I could download them to my computer. To be honest, sometimes it's easier to buy the product, and after go to a pirate website to download it. In general I don't like it since it often contains virus and other ######, but there are moments then I don't have any other options (although I don't use anything I haven't paid for). If PMDG is able to further develop their own download manager so it can handle interrupted downloads, I am fully satisfied.

What about using a VPN to download PMDG products? Although I heard the government just made VPN's illegal...

A quick Google search

Ironically Goggle is completely blocked in China.

I live in China, and to not offfend anyone, I can say that Internet connection here is not top quality.

I travel to China from time to time, man I feel for you.

I haven't tried it yet, but would something like Skyroam work there or would it still go through the great wall?

If it does it could be your solution for downloading.

Mike

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Mike,

" . . . Ironically Goggle is completely blocked in China."

I should have remembered that fact!

Thanks, JJ

Mikael,

A few months ago, we began to use Amazon CloudFront, primarily because it has edge servers that are located in/around your side of the globe.

These servers work primarily by caching files that are requested by users, and retaining them on the cachec server as long as possible in order to speed download access.

The down side is that the file won't get moved to the edge server until it is requested that first time- so you might just be getting unlucky and being the first to request the file in your area.

Unfortunately- there is no way to use a download manager within the confines of the Operations Center...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

1 hour ago, markhascole said:

Thanks for sharing this helpful information!

A good option is to use a small VPN provider with few users. If you use a VPN in a country there they dont speak Chinese or English is even better. They rarely notice those services. I have used my provider for five years now.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, hasse29 said:

A good option is to use a small VPN provider with few users. If you use a VPN in a country there they dont speak Chinese or English is even better. They rarely notice those services. I have used my provider for five years now.

Using small VPN provider with few users is such a great idea but make sure that vpn offering secure vpn protocols