Sign in to follow this  
ColinLevy

GPU Usage too high?

So I have been building a new PC (high end) over the last few weeks and also made the switch over to P3D with it.

I haven't installed much at all, just the PMDG 777 and Activesky 2016

I am running nvidia inspector and my settings in P3D are fairly medium (shadows off, most bars 3/4 to the right, no AI). For the PC I built, I feel as though I could be running everything on max.

Here is a picture of the load on one of my flights

load.png

Now I am no flight sim expert, but it's not normal for my GPU to be running at 99%, is it? Hell, I am at cruise during the day with minimal weather. This is what I get no matter where I fly.

Here are my specs:

-MSI Z270 Motherboard

-Intel i7-7700k (OC @ 5.0GHz)

-GTX 1070 Superclocked

-16Gb DDR4 2400MHz RAM

-500GB MX-300 SSD

-27" ASUS monitor running 2560x1440

Its as16 myself and many others are having the same issue waiting for an update from hifi

I have been reading about the AS2016 problems, I reverted back from SP1 last night after I got a massive drop in frames.

But even when I am not using AS2016, have it turned off, just flying around in the PMDG and no scenery, my GPU usage is still at 98.5-100%

Just doesn't seem right. Only had P3D installed 2 days and already got an OOM overnight when doing a long haul (wasn't even running AS)

Hmm i may to do some testing myself a few days ago when i was on my sim pc i had turned as2016 sp1 off and aim was smooth and back up to 30fps. I am barely on my pc due to work. Thou will test again tonight

It may be a windows 10 update? Or perhaps a preocess running in background?

I am baffled asi have read reports that some are having this issue and some are not.

Its as16 myself and many others are having the same issue waiting for an update from hifi

It is not AS16 - even when I am in full IFR with SLI off I do not get 99%. There's something else going on. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you're also running ASCA, it may have installed cloud textures that are causing the high GPU ute rates, and those may persist in your sim even if not actively running AS16/ASCA.  Perhaps a return to some other cloud textures, e.g. Rex TD, might stop the high GPU usage?  It's hard to surmise exactly what configs are having the issues, since HiFi has locked all the threads in their support forums related to this.

I'm running P3D 3.3.5 and the 6194 beta without issue, and I'm reticent about upgrading to SP1 until we know more...

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I am not using ASCA, so can rule that out.

Could this at all be related to my hardware? On my old PC I never received a out of available memory message in the 5 years I used FSX on it (with Orbx, addon scenery, pmdg, AS, etc). All of a sudden I built this new PC and installed Fsx on it and within the first week of using it I received an OOM. Installed P3D on it yesterday and received an OOM overnight.

What nvidia driver you running on your gtx1070???

I've had issues in the past with certain NVidia drivers causing FPS and usage issues in P3D v3.

Recently I updated to 378.49 and it caused stuttering for me so I reverted back to 376.33 and it performed much better. Just another option for you to troubleshoot.

In addition, the settings in NVidia control panel or inspector if you have AA and supersampling etc high, it will bring your system to it's knees. I have a GTX1080, 4k monitor, I6700k 4.6ghz and I can not have high settings as P3D will bring my system to a standstill.

Regards

Branko