Sign in to follow this  
PaulGR

Is it worth to switch?

Howdy pilots.

I got FSX-SE set up nicely, no crashes, no VAS issues, PMDG planes and ORBX scenery.

Is it worth to switch performance wise?

The PMDG 747 is about to be released and i'm simply wondering if it is worth keeping FSX at this point.

I would still use it for 777 and NGX (I only fly airliners) as I don't see a reason to buy the same product again but if performance is better than I might start migrating at this point.

Anybody here use both?

I'm on Devil's Canyon running at safe 4.7GHz, 32GB RAM, SSDs and GTX 970 (SLI if needed).

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

There must be several hundred posts already addressing this topic here on Avsim over the last year or so. You might want to check some of these. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Only if you want all the eye candy P3D offers. HDR, volumetric fog, better lighting overall.

• Upvote 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I wouldn't change to P3D now, if they bring out a v4, you will have to buy P3D all over again. Your license will only be good for v3. Until they make some kind of announcement about the future, i.e. 64 bit I would stay with what you have if it works. On a side note, XP11 is looking really nice and I have recently made the change. For $60 I have got a whole bunch of software with a huge amount of quality free scenery from the XP community. Plus there are some great apps to make your own free photo-scenery. But I don't want to turn this into XP v P3D thread for you.

• Upvote 2

Cheers.

I'll wait for V4 and see what happens.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

There is a lot to read... p3d v3 runs even or better than fsx with shadows, dx11 etc so why not. The future is unknown i'm reading about how p3d v4 will be and how much you will have to pay, but we do not know anything for real. Xplane11? Have to see a really comparable scenery set to be released (orbx?)... maybe late 2017? Many fsx addon will work on p3d: orbx, planes, weather etc. P3d is NOW the very best flight sim on the market and academic license us so cheap...so why stick with the past for months.

Ps:if you are answering maybe you are expecting something more so i can say i did the jump with v2 and it was worth now even more

If for any reason fancy 64bit is important for you, XP11 might be an option. If you like the superb P3D/FSX addons, aircrafts and sceneries, P3D is the way to go. It is really miles ahead of ancient FSX.

If P3D should go 64bit, I suppose that only a minority will follow, at least initially. Most addons need to be adapted and eventually be bought (again). Nice for a newcomer, but nothing for old horses that learned to handle the old engine.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

If your current setup isn't broken and works fine, there's no need to fix it.

• Upvote 1

A penny to one man is just one cent.  To another, it makes him rich.  So I'm not sure I could tell you if it's worth it for you. 

I can tell you that I run both, though it's for testing products and if I ever decided to fly the NGX/777 again I'll have to use FSX as I won't purchase the product a second time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that changes in P3D mean that eventually some of you FSX products won't work - LM has been vocal about this from the start.  This might be another reason to keep FSX installed.

If you do get P3D, I agree with the others guys, I'd wait until V4.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Appreciate all the input.

Generally it works ok but I do have FPS issues especially around busy airports and i'm simply trying to figure out if FPS difference is noticeable.

I'll wait for V4 and will follow it closely from that release.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Paul the FPS issue around airports sadly will not improve with P3D. However the trade off is for the same FPS you get now (if you have a good graphics card) you will be able to turn up a lot of eye candy with minimal FPS hit, something you simple could NOT do with FSX.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+