Sign in to follow this  
speedbird1229

Honest opinions please - buy 747 v3 for FSX or migrate to P3D?

P3D here. It may still have many issues from FSX left but it's still being developed and with the upgrades LM have done so far in my opinion it is much more immersive. Plus it's still being worked on so can only get better

Buying the P3D version will get you the right for a free update for 64bit. There is nothing like that mentioned in the FSX license. That alone would be an argument for me to go for the P3D version.

You will get the aircraft updated for free, but if you buy P3D v3 and they bring out v4 in a few months, you are going have to pay another $200 or whatever it is for P3D v4.

P3D.

This will be the first PMDG a/c I will buy for Prepar3D only. No more FSX purchases for me. Only X-Plane and Prepar3D.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

They're identical. Forget it. More hassle to,set it up.

FSX runs smooth and fine straight out of box.

You will get the aircraft updated for free, but if you buy P3D v3 and they bring out v4 in a few months, you are going have to pay another $200 or whatever it is for P3D v4.

For the typical simmer it'll be 60$, just like the Academic licenses for the other P3Ds. That's assuming it'll cost the same of course.

Whether you are willing to invest that or not is of course up to you, but I'll honestly tell you: With so many complains about VAS usage, etc. everyone will do himself a favor getting a 64bit sim.

64 bit means nothing.

64 bit means no more OOMs, unless of course your whole system runs out of memory. For me that is quite an argument.

If you on the other side do not have OOM issues anyway you will be good to stay on v3. So everyone to his own liking :)

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

64 bit means no more OOMs, unless of course your whole system runs out of memory. For me that is quite an argument.

If you on the other side do not have OOM issues anyway you will be good to stay on v3. So everyone to his own liking :)

No guarantee of that happening. Flight simmers will find a way to make it oom.

And I use FSX. So obviously already no ooms or ctds for me anyway.

Gents,

Please keep this conversation from devolving into attacking one another of your respective choice of operating platforms.

The best platform for you is the one you choose.  Your choice does not enhance or diminish a choice made by someone else.

Also:  Lockheed Martin has not confirmed any information on an x64 version of Prepar3D.  Please do not forget to mention this little fact when promoting the wonders of 64bit Prepar3D.  We all hope that they will- but until they say so- please do not presume that it is imminent.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

There is always an Xplane guy in a conversation were it has no business. I have P3D and FSX SE (XPlane 10/11 too but not serious into that). I always vote P3D just because PMDG will continue into the future with it (even 64 bit whenever that is). So is that not awesome enough to stick around?

• Upvote 1

They're identical. Forget it. More hassle to,set it up.

FSX runs smooth and fine straight out of box.

Actually in my experience (at least with the Add-Ons I use) it's the other way around for me. FSX(and FSX-SE) at the end just caused a lot of frustrations and never ending tweaking around to get Add-Ons to work properly. With P3D* it's just install, configure and you're off. But that's my experience. I guess it all comes down to how you want to setup your Sim. In my case P3D turned out to be exactly the "Base-Software" for my needs and I don't regret having made that investment.

* = I will add it never was problem free, but not near as much problems I had to fight with FSX

Actually in my experience (at least with the Add-Ons I use) it's the other way around for me. FSX(and FSX-SE) at the end just caused a lot of frustrations and never ending tweaking around to get Add-Ons to work properly. With P3D it's just install, configure and you're off. But that's my experience. I guess it all comes down to how you want to setup your Sim. In my case P3D turned out to be exactly the "Base-Software" for my needs and I don't regret having made that investment.

Never heard of that with FSX. Knew one on me.

Install. Set every slider max. 8 x aa and 8 x sgss and enjoy. Simple. :)

I can hear the ding dinging of the VAS monitor bell already!

Jay

Is it now the best time to carry my simming stuff over? Since it's going to be a rather significant expense to buy P3D and also the 747 (+ some other addons perhaps), I would like to know if it's still worth it.

To some, the differences between FSX and P3D are superficial and trivial - to others, they are quite significant and dramatic. It's tough to tell what your reaction would be until you try it out and see. 

Lockheed Martin offers a 60-day refund policy - if you're truly torn, it may be worth the while to make the initial investment and try it out (*using things you may already have that are compatible). You may never be able to look at FSX again -OR- end up wondering what all the fuss was about... then you can make an informed decision about your 747 and other future investments. 

As an owner of both, I'm torn myself - Prepar3D is absolutely gorgeous, especially with its lighting, atmospherics, and overall feel - but FSX has some benefits as well, including wider compatibility with my library of addons and AA performance in heavy clouds. Sure, you can run both but do you really want to?

Hold off on any addon purchases for P3D, but give the platform a shot. Who knows what you'll find!

-Greg

• Upvote 1

It's an important question, I went P3D.  But perhaps more importantly, should cups be the right way up or upside down in the cupboard....

Cheers

Craig Read

Craig Read, EGLL

Never heard of that with FSX. Knew one on me.

Install. Set every slider max. 8 x aa and 8 x sgss and enjoy. Simple. :)

Well as an example I got Orbx spoiled (especially with their night lighting) and I had this problem that their lights were visible through low visibility (YUCK). Fair enough DX10 with Steve's Fixer solved that, but in return caused problems with other Software. Then I had this issue with FlyTampa airports where approach lights were perfectly visible through IMC conditions at 15 DME (no matter DX9 or DX10). These are just a few examples....!! All no problem with P3D... just install and fly. With FSX it was "Try this... switch off that.... ok that works, but then that broke.... hmpf.... searching net.... argh...."

As I said it's all about what you use it for... what Add-Ons you have... etc..! In my case P3D saved me a lot of trouble.