Sign in to follow this  
speedbird1229

Honest opinions please - buy 747 v3 for FSX or migrate to P3D?

I didn't know about the developer's license for P3D but this seems like a great idea to use while the v4 of P3D is not out yet. 10 USD per month is very reasonable. I have decided to move over to P3D and will try to start installing stuff soon. But jeesh, Activesky 2016 is prettttty expensive, isn't it? Especially if you already bought it for FSX and can't get a discount :)

But you'll end up with worse performance with P3D once you add on the fluff like cockpit and ground shadows.

Simply not true in my experience, P3D runs much smoother due to unloading a lot of work onto the GPU plus the work LM have done moving the Sim over to DX11 and correcting many long standing bugs..

There really has been a lot of improvement by LM, to think otherwise is just deluded.

• Upvote 1

Well,  I wonder how the OP made out since P3D V4 came out as did PMDG 747....If your still around what did ya do...!!!!???!!

On 1/30/2017 at 4:45 PM, CaptainGabe said:

I've flown Microsoft FS my whole simming career. I switched to FSX:SE and upgraded my rig to compensate for newer addons. Honestly, I've had a few CTD and OOM in the past year, 95% caused by me being a bully to the sim and pushing it beyond it's limit. I recently did a 17 hour flight OMDB-KIAH, and it was uneventful performance wise, and it seemed to only have a toll on my computer itself falling asleep. I see P3D pictures and I am slightly jealous of the way it looks compared to FSX. But I am happy with FSX, and I say if you have a good set-up, FSX will do you well. I will stay with FSX until the end of add on companies making products for it, such as they did for FS9. 

Do you regret sticking to FSX yet?

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Honest opinion? 

Ditch FSX and move to a 64bit Sim. Performance is better where it can take advantage of modern hardware. FSX code is 12 years old now and nothing more in the pipeline for this sim. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

IMHO, moving to P3D v4.3 is a true 'no-brainer'. 64-bit opens up performance like you would not believe, throw in bug fixes, smoothness of fps, and real fps gains on the order of +50% while using higher graphics settings.

P3D v4.3 with PMDG aircraft are awesome. Period. Full stop.

Again, IMHO.

2 hours ago, PopsBellNC said:

IMHO, moving to P3D v4.3 is a true 'no-brainer'. 64-bit opens up performance like you would not believe, throw in bug fixes, smoothness of fps, and real fps gains on the order of +50% while using higher graphics settings.

P3D v4.3 with PMDG aircraft are awesome. Period. Full stop.

Again, IMHO.

50 % + fps gain? are you sure?

ZORAN

I was a user of fsx up until last week.

I have almost always reverted to fsx. P3D seems to make a lot of impressive gains but, developers and Lm appear to spend those gains almost immediately. Pmdg seem to maintain a constant footprint as far as their products go.

What seems true is that you are getting MORE for your processing power in P3D. For some reason fsx is best for my hardware situation.

Decide for yourself. But all the developers are focussing attention on p3d and xplane.

The decisiin is yours. Pmdg are crossplatform for now.

Brian Nellis

2 hours ago, zmak said:

50 % + fps gain? are you sure?

Depends on how well you have set up your computer of course... but when I unlock the FPS I run the PMDG 747 at 50-60 fps compared to 40-45 at v4.2 and the FSL Airbus at 50 compared to 35-40. so 50% is a realistic estimate, again, depending on the system.

31 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Depends on how well you have set up your computer of course... but when I unlock the FPS I run the PMDG 747 at 50-60 fps compared to 40-45 at v4.2 and the FSL Airbus at 50 compared to 35-40. so 50% is a realistic estimate, again, depending on the system.

Ok. The thread though is FSX vs P3D

ZORAN

29 minutes ago, zmak said:

Ok. The thread though is FSX vs P3D

200% 😂

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

200% 😂

Dads not gonna be happy when he finds you hacked into his Avsim account 😱

ZORAN

Honest answer? Did you feel all the buzz about P3D v4 was dishonest?

P3D V4 is unlike any previous simming experience on that platform. Its the only way to fully enjoy a problem free simming experience. FSX Is in the stoneage compared to P3D V4

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Gents, maybe check that this thread and the majority of the replies are from January 2017, and it was resurrected a few days ago. 

I sorta brought it back from the dead as I was curious what the OP ever did...or it seems he quit simming altogether....(btw I think XP-plane blows them all away, just wishing for a newer PMDG plane in that format, heheheh)...

• Like 1