Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

6800K vs 7700K for simming

Looking for opinions on a 6800k vs the new 7700k for simming.

I understand that 7700k will be slightly faster for mainly single threaded games such as GTA V / Battlefield etc there are tons of benchmarks for highly single threaded games  , but what about CPU heavy games that also take advantage of multi threading like X-Plane/FSX/DCS/P3D?

The other thing I'm considering is if the X99 boards are a dead end, will there be a 7800k (or whatever it will be)?

I'm using Oculus VR  so I want the best performance on sims. Currently using an aging 3930K running @ 4.2Ghz  it does ok but I've pushed this system as far as it's going.

I would think that the 6700K would do better than the 6800K for flightsimming.

It would still be my number 1 choice..

Bert

Thanks Bert. Are you running a 6700K currently?

I've not built a new PC in 6 years so haven't worried much about the newer stuff, but 4 generations past mine should yield a decent performance gain. Already have the 1080 GTX , just need the CPU to feed it.

7700k without a doubt. Despite being a 6xxx-level processor, the 6800k is a Broadwell gen processor. So with the 7700k, you'll have 1.5 to 2 IPC improvement cycles (while Broadwell is now 2 cycles/generations behind Kaby Lake, it's not clear what the IPC improvement over Skylake is) on top of the fact that you can hit the high 4s and perhaps 5.0Ghz mark.

If it's purely for gaming and simming, a 7700k is literally the best you can buy right now. I run a 6700k with a Vive and I get excellent performance in both P3D and X-Plane, and the 6700k pretty much matches the 7700k clock for clock so it isn't a bad option either. You won't be gaining anything from those extra cores and cache as far as gaming is concerned. Plus, Z270 boards are cheaper than X99 and the platform is newer. Unless you do content creation or have need of lots of PCIe lanes, then 6700k/7700k is the best option.

Of course this is a no brainer.  The 7700K is cheaper than the 6800K; out of the box it is at 4.2GHz (you have to do nothing); the optimized default setting will take you to 4.5GHz; and with ASUS (the board I have), you can overclock it automatically to a stable 5.0GHz.  Anything less, like the 6800K, can be overclocked to maybe a stable 4.8GHz but it requires some expertise.  The only downer I know of is the fact it requires Windows 10 but some on Google have been able to get around that requirement.  You should definitely see an increase in performance from the 3930K.  I just upgraded from a 4770K.

Benchmarks are at the following link - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6800K/3647vs3607.  It cremated the 6800K.  Do not let anyone talk you out of a 7700K!!  You will need a new motherboard (the x99 will work but recommend the Z270) but everything else in your current system should work in the new setup.

See my specs for my setup.

Best regards,

Jim 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi,

I depends what you are looking for.  I have recently gone from a 4790k @ 4.5 to a 6850K @ 4.2.   If you are looking for a pure FPS then the 7700K or 6700K might be your best bet.  If textures not popping in and out is important and having other things running in the background (AS16, GTN, etc) is important to you, then having the larger cache and extra cores may be valuable to you.  All I can say I am pretty pleased with my new system.

Hope this helps

Of course this is a no brainer.  The 7700K is cheaper than the 6800K; out of the box it is at 4.2GHz (you have to do nothing); the optimized default setting will take you to 4.5GHz; and with ASUS (the board I have), you can overclock it automatically to a stable 5.0GHz.  Anything less, like the 6800K, can be overclocked to maybe a stable 4.8GHz but it requires some expertise. 

Best regards,

Jim 

Agree.

Worth mentioning though that that only 80% of 7700K's will overclock to 5 GHz, dependant on the silicone lottery.

Five Way Optimisation, which is what Jim is referring to is very good in my opinion. With the latest BIOS on my Z170 board the overclock is identical to my manual overclock.

You will need a new motherboard (the x99 will work but recommend the Z270)

No! X99 will not work, it's the wrong socket. Z170 or Z270 is required for Kaby Lake. X99 is LGA 2011.

I just bought a 6700k rig. Actually two weeks ago I had a 7700k in my hands but the machine arrived broken (pre-built) so I had to send it back. They had no replacements so I got a refund and saw a great offer on a 6700k machine and thought why not. I went for it and it saved my 500 USD and came with 32gb RAM instead of 16gb which was with the more expensive Kaby lake machine. From everything I have read, there is almost zero difference and I couldn't be happier. I almost let pride get the better of me in wanting to have the newest and 'best' with Kaby lake but in the end common sense won out. If you can get a good deal on a Skylake processor/motherboard, go for it. Better to save money and upgrade in a few years when the 'true' next gen of processor and tech comes along than burn money on clever marketing.

From everything I have read, there is almost zero difference and I couldn't be happier. I almost let pride get the better of me in wanting to have the newest and 'best' with Kaby lake but in the end common sense won out. If you can get a good deal on a Skylake processor/motherboard, go for it. 

Excerpt that Kaby Lake overclock's higher than Skylake, 5 GHz plus to be specific. According to Asus 80% of 7700K's will do 5 GHz with reasonable cooling.

The other thing that may sway people of course is the advantageous additional features that come with Kaby Lake. Optane etc. It's not just performance.

I built my Skylake system before Kaby was released, but yes, like you I'm happy too. 

No! X99 will not work, it's the wrong socket. Z170 or Z270 is required for Kaby Lake. X99 is LGA 2011.

Thanks for the correction.  I knew that and still wondering why I said what I said.... :smile:

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the correction.  I knew that and still wondering why I said what I said.... :smile:

:smile:  I blame the space aliens.

That's exactly what I was thinking!!  :Alien:

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

You are the forum admin...   You have a lot on your mind...  LOL...

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe I'll be going with the 7700k. I used to go with the higher end stuff all the time but the line is blurred these days when it comes to sims and the cost vs performance by all accounts seems to be better on the 7700k at substantially less cost.

Now just to decide on a Z270 board.  There is a dizzying array of choices -  time to do some homework.