Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

6800K vs 7700K for simming

@ Newegg, the Asus boards are getting some bad reviews with burnt CPU's and graphics cards. I used to purchase exclusively Asus but after 2 failed GPU's and 2 failed motherboards I have stayed away (their support wasn't great). OTOH lots of site are saying how good their overclocking features are. 

Wondering about the MSI Titanium as I haven't had any MSI board before. My current board is a Asrock and it's been relatively trouble free but I hate to say it their newer boards seem rather lackluster. I just want something that will last and can overclock easily, could care less about all the new LED lighting etc as I never have the window side of me PC where I can see it anyways.

It's so hard to get honest reviews these days, half the sites look like shills with no real info on how the boards they are reviewing really stack up against each-other. They get review samples they get to keep so of course you can see how that goes....

@ Newegg, the Asus boards are getting some bad reviews with burnt CPU's and graphics cards. I used to purchase exclusively Asus but after 2 failed GPU's and 2 failed motherboards I have stayed away (their support wasn't great). OTOH lots of site are saying how good their overclocking features are. 

Do we know for sure that the failed CPU's and graphics cards were "definitively" caused by issues with the Asus motherboards? Are there any known motherboard issues that are proven to be causing this?

Or are these individuals just speculating? we have to be very careful about angry owners and their unproven assumptions.

Personally, I have only ever had one issue with an Asus motherboard in many years. True that their support isn't good at all. Last year Asus won an award for least RMA's.

The Asus ROG Code does look nice. I'll have to think on it.

It's been about 8 years since I last purchased Asus because I had 2 480Gtx cards from them fail and they gave me the runaround until the warranty was up and I ended up stuck with 2 junk cards.

If they have better QA maybe the situation is improved. Going to look for more feedback on other sites than Newegg.

So none of the newer cpu's will work with my Asus Rampage Extreme X99 board?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Asus boards are getting some bad reviews with burnt CPU's and graphics cards.

Going to look for more feedback on other sites than Newegg.

Yes, feedback on sites re broken CPU's and GPU's doesn't mean there are issues with Asus boards that are killing those components. It looks like it is indeed just angry owners looking for something to blame.

If Asus boards were killing CPU's and GPU's it would be a major issue that would be all over the net, a major controversy. 

X99 is socket 2011. Kaby Lake is a different socket. Kaby will work with Z170 and the new Z270 boards.

6800 series will even though its using 14nm process like kabby lake its a generation behind. I was searching for info if there would be a 7xxx series for X99 boards but haven't found a definitive answer. I read on another site that the next extreme chips would be using a different socket entirely and part of the reason I posted here.

Yes, feedback on sites re broken CPU's and GPU's doesn't mean there are issues with Asus boards that are killing those components. It looks like it is indeed just angry owners looking for something to blame.
If Asus boards were killing CPU's and GPU's it would be a major issue that would be all over the net, a major controversy.

I agree.  It is a shame people do this.  I heard Amazon has started new screening procedures to make sure the people making reviews of products are actual owners.  Even if an actual owner, things happen and does not mean the boards are bad.  Now, if mine goes, I'll be back here and I'll be really mad too!  :smile:

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Newegg does exactly that. You can filter verified product owners. I exclude any remarks or reviews from people who didn't actually own it.

True, buy a Maximus IX Apex start OC with poor cooling, feed the Cpu with 1.5v vcore

Run hard benches close to 100c temp, after some time the cpu die.

Blame Asus, you can feed the cpu with +1,9v in bios, I only used 1.5v and disabled all safety features.

6800 series will even though its using 14nm process like kabby lake its a generation behind. I was searching for info if there would be a 7xxx series for X99 boards but haven't found a definitive answer. I read on another site that the next extreme chips would be using a different socket entirely and part of the reason I posted here.

That's what I've read also.. new socket for the new extreme chips.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I agree.  It is a shame people do this.  I heard Amazon has started new screening procedures to make sure the people making reviews of products are actual owners.  Even if an actual owner, things happen and does not mean the boards are bad.  Now, if mine goes, I'll be back here and I'll be really mad too!  :smile:

Human nature I guess. Why the scientific method, measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning, experimentation designed to test hypotheses, is the way we do things for important matters. 

Pity certain politicians don't adopt the same philosophy.  :smile: