Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

X-Plane 11 Clouds & Performance

Hi All,

I purchased X-Plane 11 as soon as it was available but up until a few days ago didn't really bother with it. I was just following the threads.

I decided to give Public Beta V9 a go with the FF767. I have been able to push the sliders pretty far and the only thing I have found is that as soon as I introduce clouds via the X-Plane menu i get micro pauses. I watch the FPS counter dip from a solid 30 (running half adaptive refresh rate) to around 15 and then it jumps back again. Admittedly this happens very quickly and is quite hard to catch but it is there. If I turn the weather off it is very smooth even pushing close to 5.5GB VRAM on my 980TI Strix.

Has anyone else seen this?I know XP11 hasn't been fully optimized yet so I am not too concerned but I am liking what I am seeing so far

I was going to try some of the free cloud enhancements that are around on the .org as I am not sure if SMP V3 & Real weather connector will work and I haven't made the plunge and updgraded to SMP V4

Regards

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I haven't noticed it, and I pretty much fly that 767 exclusively. I do use xEnviro for weather, stock clouds are really hard on performance. I also have to be very careful with the settings, and use of HD mesh, I'm always right at my vram limit of 4gb. Push the vram to far and it starts to stutter, bad, and most of the time it will crash to desktop, with nothing in the logs.

All I can say I guess is don't push the vram limit of your card too hard, strange things start to happen. If you want to run stock clouds / weather you'll probably have to back off on some settings.

If your at 5.5 gb with weather off as you state, what was your vram with weather on, that's probably your issue.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Your report of the framerate jumping from 30 fps to 15 fps sounds like VSync forcing the framerate to halve momentarily, which would definitely create a visible stutter. If Vsync is on, you could try turning it off. In addition, I haven't had good luck with constant smoothness while using adaptive half refresh.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Your report of the framerate jumping from 30 fps to 15 fps sounds like VSync forcing the framerate to halve momentarily, which would definitely create a visible stutter. If Vsync is on, you could try turning it off. In addition, I haven't had good luck with constant smoothness while using adaptive half refresh.

I agree,  and have also stopped using the  adaptive half refresh as well,  but do keep vsync on as I can't stand the screen tearing.  Don't notice any difference on or off,  other than the tearing.  Good to check though. 

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Thanks for the reply,

When I have clear skies selected I never have this problem. It is only when I introduce clouds. I know default X-Plane clouds are hard on the system which is why I run SMP V3 along with RWC and the excellent Ventura Sky plugin of X-Plane 10.

I am going to test with different settings too see what I can find.

Could you share your Nvidia Control Panel settings

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

The clouds in XP11 are going to get improved at some point. They're way too dark and quite ugly, too.

I use Skymaxx, but you can of course also use X enviro.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Last night I tried the cloud enhancer lua script for the org along with some replacement cloud textures. The difference seemed like night & day. I seem to have always got better results with the adaptive half refresh rate option and had a solid 30 fps and silky smooth results with the FF767, SSG 747 V1.51 and to my amazement the JAR A330 worked and flew beautifully. Not sure why they are charging for an XP 11 update !!! The only thing I found with the A330 is I couldn't get a preview of the aircraft in the options screen but did a couple of short circuits from cold & dark and had no issues.

I certainly like what i am seeing so far and PB9 seems to be the best version to date

The clouds in XP11 are going to get improved at some point. They're way too dark and quite ugly, too.
I use Skymaxx, but you can of course also use X enviro.

Are you using Skymaxx V3 or V4 ?

I am still sitting on the fence about upgrading

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

When I have clear skies selected I never have this problem. It is only when I introduce clouds.

Just a note on that - if you're running Adaptive Half Refresh and/or Vsync, your framerate is often going to be 'locked' at 30fps, as in, you won't tell if your current settings, scenery and aircraft would normally be, say, 35 fps, or something like 48 fps. So essentially, you have no idea if you're reaching the point where your framerate will dip below 30. Likely you're close to that point, and the added clouds are placing just enough load to drop you below 30 fps, where either the VSync setting or the Adaptive Half Refresh setting is then causing your framerate to briefly halve to 15 fps.

• Like 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Last night I tried the cloud enhancer lua script for the org along with some replacement cloud textures. The difference seemed like night & day. I seem to have always got better results with the adaptive half refresh rate option and had a solid 30 fps and silky smooth results with the FF767, SSG 747 V1.51 and to my amazement the JAR A330 worked and flew beautifully. Not sure why they are charging for an XP 11 update !!! The only thing I found with the A330 is I couldn't get a preview of the aircraft in the options screen but did a couple of short circuits from cold & dark and had no issues.

I certainly like what i am seeing so far and PB9 seems to be the best version to date

Are you using Skymaxx V3 or V4 ?

I am still sitting on the fence about upgrading

V4, I got a 50% upgrade discount, so I figured I'd go for it.

Pretty similar to V3 but since I liked that version, I'm happy.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Just a note on that - if you're running Adaptive Half Refresh and/or Vsync, your framerate is often going to be 'locked' at 30fps, as in, you won't tell if your current settings, scenery and aircraft would normally be, say, 35 fps, or something like 48 fps. So essentially, you have no idea if you're reaching the point where your framerate will dip below 30. Likely you're close to that point, and the added clouds are placing just enough load to drop you below 30 fps, where either the VSync setting or the Adaptive Half Refresh setting is then causing your framerate to briefly halve to 15 fps.

Hey Jim, after reading your post the other day, I did in fact notice that my framerates were not fluctuating like they usually would and that was due to what you pointed out with v-sync.  I'm wondering why this is, as I had not experienced that with P3D (in the past).  using v-sync does eliminate screen-tearing, but it appears that there is a trade-off with keeping the frames locked.  I'd like to know if this will be a permanent feature of XP11, or if this is getting sorted out in later betas.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'm wondering why this is, as I had not experienced that with P3D (in the past).

I know pretty near zlich about graphics programming aside from some of the enlightening posts that Ben makes on the dev blog, but I assume that there are differences in how DirectX and OGL handle VSync, in addition to any sort of programming or GPU directives set by the developers.

There are most certainly differences in how X-Plane and P3D handle VSync, both in performance impact and overall results.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.