Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton_

PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II finally released!

I guess like someone suggested when FSL released their Airbus we'll now see pretty much the exact same discussion one more time regarding the price.

The answer why you see these prices is quite simple really...because you/we will buy their products despite the high price. If they wouldn't sell the number of copies they've hoped for surely that would eventually also show on the price.

Then you can of course see this in many different ways. Either you only see the price and think it's too high but you could also consider the number of hours invested into these kind of products and the expertise and the research etc etc and all of a sudden the price isn't that high anymore.

Personally I don't think it's really that much money looking what I get for the money and for how long I'll be able to enjoy the product and considering all I said above. Sure, I could use the same money to have a great dinner out instead and that would also be very nice...and lasting for like a couple of hours...

Not sure if I'll get this one. Not because of the money but because I rarely have the time required to do the type of flying a B744 normally does but to all of you getting it enjoy and hope you'll find the money well spent.

• Upvote 5

Richard Åsberg

Okay... perspective is one thing... however, I still question why is P3D version more expensive than an FSX one? What makes it more worth? Does every new simulator version rectify a higher price?

• Upvote 1

I've been becoming aggravated at the price of some of these addons too and while I couldn't justify the price of the FSL Airbus (I probably don't have a good reason), the math is simple. As Paul alludes to with his example, I'd simply say the same thing with regard to other FS addons: how often have we spent $25-30 on an airport when we really only spend a small fraction of the time in or around that airport when we're in the payware aircraft the entire time? For whatever reason, I will jump quicker than poo on an airport that strikes my fancy but will then mull a $60 aircraft. Not to mention a $135 one. And then I look through my payware airport collection and the math becomes even worse: there are some airports I've never actually even flown into or out of yet...

Okay... perspective is one thing... however, I still question why is P3D version more expensive than an FSX one? What makes it more worth? Does every new simulator version rectify a higher price?

Simple solution for  you is  to not  to purchase  it, besides  this is beating  the horse  to death  again with the different  prices  between platforms

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

One reason could be P3D is officially considered more of a "professional grade platform" meant for training vs FSX that was always all about pure entertainment and more of a "game".

Another reason might be more and more users today move to P3D from FSX and I think for products such as those developed by PMDG and FSL a majority of these users are so called "power users" where the majority of these is probably found within the P3D arena rather than the FSX arena.

Only speculating here and this of course is my highly personal guesses and nothing more.

Richard Åsberg

One reason could be P3D is officially considered more of a "professional grade platform" meant for training vs FSX that was always all about pure entertainment and more of a "game".

Another reason might be more and more users today move to P3D from FSX and I think for products such as those developed by PMDG and FSL a majority of these users are so called "power users" where the majority of these is probably found within the P3D arena rather than the FSX arena.

Only speculating here and this of course is my highly personal guesses and nothing more.

Speculating also...May be because P3d is constantly upgraded/updated and they will need to spend more time on P3D version to keep it compatible with P3D after the release? If thats the case then they are setting the price not only based on the effort they have already put into the aircraft but also for the effort/time that will be put into it..

That said for me it is still difficult to justify 50% price difference between two versions...I believe the real reason is that they know people will buy it as was pointed out above, it doesnt have much to do with the time and effort.

PS. However I must say I was kind of surprised with the price, I was expecting something around 160 Euros.

Ahmet Can

WebMaximus (interesting name) makes a good point about the hours of use or enjoyment we get for our dollar. Again going back to the rc days I only got to the field maybe 12 or so times in an Iowa summer so my flying hours were limited. Now, in the virtual world, with it's ease of use I get 100 times more time in my virtual planes. If we figure out how much  over a year we pay for these planes it is only pennies. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

If you divide $135 by the number of models/variants you get, then I think the price begins to look more than reasonable.

May be because P3d is constantly upgraded/updated and they will need to spend more time on P3D version to keep it compatible with P3D after the release?

Good point and makes sense.

As for the price I'm sure it wasn't just by chance the price ended up just below the FSL Airbus price. A bit like how you always see prices like $9.95 rather than $10.

Richard Åsberg

The price diference is related to the elasticity of the demand courb for both products, being P3D a lot less elastic. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be based on diferences between the two versions.

So part from the price did someone already have a chance to try the new bird out and could tell us how she performs and how the VAS usage and FPS is etc?

To me that is far more interesting than the price.

Richard Åsberg

I think it is expensive too.  the only thing in its favour is with PMDG it is one of the two tubeliner companies that do provide service for 8 years on its products with upgrades too.  I will just pay it for this but there is another company with a very good product  at an even higher price as it is for one aircraft but with a not so stellar service record oover the period with it's one other product and there is no way I can justify the price for that.

Harry Woodrow

One word - awesome!

In what regard or all of them including FPS and VAS?

Edited to add I just watched a YouTube clip and IMHO the quality of the v/c didn't look that good compared to the NGX for example but maybe I just picked a bad clip.

Richard Åsberg

So part from the price did someone already have a chance to try the new bird out and could tell us how she performs and how the VAS usage and FPS is etc?

To me that is far more interesting than the price.

One fairly short flight.  Good frame rate (better than the 777 and NGX in my case) and smooth as silk.

Harry Woodrow