Sign in to follow this  
simsuper80

transitioning to the 777 or ngx from fs9? (tips?)

I have not used a simulator for about a year and a half as I am working on getting a new PC (hopefully by July). I have some experience with complex aircraft back when I was using fs9 such as the pmdg md-11, ifly 737, and the maddog md80. I know the basics (how to use the fmc for example) and know how to use pfpx. what I didn't learn where things like the cockpit flows and procedures for starting the engines. surprisingly the one exception to that would be the maddog md-80. it took a bit of time, but back when I was using it, I knew how to start up the aircraft, and fly a flight plan all the way to shutdown. the main reason for that is because by default, the maddog started cold and dark, and that gave me an incentive learn how to fly it.

I know that the pmdg 777 and ngx (and now the queen of the skies 2) are a lot more detailed than any pmdg product from fs9. so I am wondering what transitioning to the 777 or ngx would be like? how much effort and time would it take compared with someone who say, has p3d and bought a pmdg product for the first time?

Marco D'Agostino

They take a lot of time, they are both very complex birds. If you do get one of them defiantly do the tutorial flights, probably a couple of times, they helped me out a lot. 

...I know that the pmdg 777 and ngx (and now the queen of the skies 2) are a lot more detailed than any pmdg product from fs9. so I am wondering what transitioning to the 777 or ngx would be like? how much effort and time would it take compared with someone who say, has p3d and bought a pmdg product for the first time?

You would have a big advantage over somebody starting out for the first time because you already know how to fly and understand the concepts involved in handling a tubeliner. Of course you would still have to learn the details but you would be able to get it off the ground and 'mess around' from day one, which means you could add a little more knowledge on  each flight. The absolute beginner would have a huge learning curve just to reach the end of the runway. 

The NGX is amazing.  I climbed into it basically as soon as I got back into FSX.  Whatever aircraft you take, I suggest doing the tutorial flights.  That helps you understand the relevant jet that much better.

With your prior flying experience, and doing the tutorials, you shouldn't have a problem transitioning.

From the iFly 737 to the PMDG NGX transition should be fairly easy. Both products are in-depth simulations, so iFly has you well-prepared. The biggest point probably is the simulation interface (configuration options, operating knobs and switches). That's where the PMDG introduction document will help you a lot.

Transitioning from the 737 to the 777, you may want to go through the 777 tutorial first, slowly and step-by-step, then work your way from the tutorial into the Flight Crew Training Manual bit by bit with every flight. It won't matter what you achieve and when, but having tons of fun just because you're progressing.   :smile:

thanks everyone for your responses. I am kind of a fan of cargo flights, so I will probably get the 777 then the 747v3 (which looks RIDICULOUS. i mean that in the best way possible) and regarding Paul_Smiths comment, etops is one of those things that I would like to add to my knowledge.  

Marco D'Agostino